IGNORED

Most difficult course you've played?

Jay-Bird
Note: This thread is 5436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK guys, let's hear what some of you actually scored on those fearsome courses that you mention. After all, I've been good enough to tell you what my score was on that memorable day. An estimate is good enough - saying you've completely forgotten is hard to credit.

I shot 88 the first time at Mahogany Run in 9/07 - the second time around (3/08) I managed a 76 (and hit irons off every tee except the par 5's).

Best I've done at Royal New Kent is 86.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doral Blue monster - 1st time 103 (spring 2007), 2nd time 91 (winter 2007), and this past December 86

Chamber's Bay GC - I lost the score card, but it was like a 98 or 99. I'm a failure haha

Ballyowen gc - 1st time 104 (summer 2007), 2nd time 82 (summer 2008) - could've been mid 70's if I didn't brick 4 birdie & 4 par putts within 5 feet

Falcon's Fire - 79 (double 1st hole after by hitting a range ball that flew over the net and onto the 1st hole). took a stroke penalty.. but then as my playing partner & his dad stated.... went en fuego slapping par on the next 12 holes... and then it went away!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I was pretty ecstatic with a 78 I shot at East Lake Golf Club 5 or 6 years ago.

Jackson Hole Golf & Tennis Club is pretty difficult, mostly because you keep wanting to look up in the middle of your swing to check out the scenery.

Hartefeld National and Rolling Green in PA (anyone ever read the book "Paper Tiger" by Tom Coyne?) are both sneaky difficult in the way that you can score well on them but if you make little mistakes your day can blow up in a hurry.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

FYI -

This is a must bookmark site:
Course Rating and Slope Database™

I shot 83 at Sycamore Ridge , I shot 80 (last week) at Prairie Dunes (74.2/142).

I shot 78 last year at Colbert Hills from the Silver tees (one box in front of Tips) (74.6/129).

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I've got my share of tough courses under my belt. Haven't bested 2 over on any of them. But haven't played them in a while either...

La Purisima - 75.6/143 at 7105y
PGA West Stadium - 76.1/150 @ 7294
Coto de Caza North - 75.5/147 @ 7131
Bear's Best Las Vegas - 74.0/147 @ 7194
Pinehurst #2 - 76.0/137 @ 7335
Saticoy CC - 75.1/143 @6984

I say, the tougher the better.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

there's a course called mountain springs here that is well over 7200 yards long from the tips, super tight fairways, you can't swing your arms without hitting a water hazard or a sand trap, very hilly and rugged terrain, huge super-fast undulating greens... that course is eighteen bitches on a bitch boat.

in order of how i played them and how they suited my game

I love The Architects. Such a cool golf course. Not too difficult if you resist the urge to pull driver, and if you can keep it out of the fescue-type stuff, but definitely one of my favorites in this area. A lot of fun to play.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Jay-Bird, I agree with your take on Sycamore Ridge, that back nine is by far the hardest nine in the greater KC area and maybe the hardest nine I have ever played. I played the Nick Faldo course in Hutchinson, Cottonwood Hills this summer. It is probably the hardest course I have ever played, mostly because there are so many blind shots and there is no room to miss. If you are 10 yards off the fairway, your ball is lost in waist high junk.

And to think, unless something miraculous happens this summer, Cottonwood Hills will likely be lost - at least as we have come to know it.

I know this means nothing to most of the people who will read this posting. However, the story of Cottonwood Hills is a tragic commentary on what poor planning and worse luck can do to a promising golf course. Cottonwood is a wonderful course, having been ranked as one of the best new courses of 2008. That it will likely make it less than 3 years before it lands in receivership is a real shame. What is even worse, those of us in central Kansas who have come to love her can do nothing about it. BTW - don't be fooled by the articles in the local papers. Cottonwood is by no means out of the woods. Any opening in April is nothing more than a postponement of the inevitable.

WITB - about 15lbs. of clubs, a few balls, tees, and a windbreaker

~In true gravity,

G E S

I love The Architects. Such a cool golf course. Not too difficult if you resist the urge to pull driver, and if you can keep it out of the fescue-type stuff, but definitely one of my favorites in this area. A lot of fun to play.

i wish i could say the same...but when I played it...my course mgmt was terrible...all i thought was hit the driver hard...hope it goes to where i'm aiming...and hopefully i'll have a 2nd shot.. didn't work out so well.

i'm playing there for the 1st time since i really started playing next Sunday...there's a small outting going on...so i figure...might as well go and play... why not right? there's another course by pennsylvania/nj border - highbridge hills... i hate links courses...but this is a pretty good one. elevation changes are severe at times.... if you haven't played it...i'd definitely check it out...and the fescue there is ROUGH!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I don't even call that course difficult. Once you reach a certain point of silliness and "tricked-up-ness" purely for the sake of being stupidly hard, it's no longer worthy of any consideration or thought at all.

Agreed, but it's still the most difficult course that I'd ever played. Manufactured silliness and all....

. I'd truly lost interest in playing before the turn. Other than that....I'd have to say Holiday Valley in NY. Golfing accross ski slopes is a b*tch. Must have strong calf muscles...

i wish i could say the same...but when I played it...my course mgmt was terrible...all i thought was hit the driver hard...hope it goes to where i'm aiming...and hopefully i'll have a 2nd shot.. didn't work out so well.

Yeah, that course definitely requires some course management. Sweet course either way, enjoy the round next Sunday.

Never heard of Highbridge Hills, I enjoy links courses because they are different than the norm that I play, but I'll have to check it out.

Last year I played The Grande in Michigan. I think it might not be that terrible if you played it a few times, but it handed me my lunch. Lots of long carries off tee and for approaches. I am not an especially long hitter, so it came me some fits. Nice course though, I'd like to have another shot at it.
There are six sets of tees - tips play at 74.5/147! (we did not play the tips but that gives you an idea of the carry issues). Middle tees (where us mid-handicappers would normally play) are 70.8/132.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

Bethpage black is the hardest course ive ever played. My best score there is a 84 and i dont think i could ever do better than that. The place just wears you down.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

La Paloma in Tucson. Tons of forced carries, lots of slopes that kick balls into the desert. Beautiful course but not fun to play...too penal.

Taylormade Tour Burner, 2008 9.5, Fujikura Reax 60 stiff shaft, 2 degrees open
Callawy Heavenwood, 14 degree Hybrid, stock shaft
Titleist 585H, 17 and 21 degree Hybrids, Aldila Stiff 85 shafts
Titleist Tour 4-PW, Dynamic Gold s300
Titeist Vokey Spin Milled 56 and 60 degreeMaxfli Crossbax 5.0Top...

Depends on your definition of tough. I'd probably say the Gailes in West Branch, MI, although it's only tough if you get off the fairway. The most unforgiving I would say was the Golf Club of Michigan when it first opened (now called Huntmore) - it's not that it was particularly tough, but at that time they had the heather literally 2 yards off the fairway - so if you missed the fairway, chances are you lost your ball or just had to hack it out.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!