IGNORED

No Backswing Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

how is it done?

Getting better........

What's in my Cart bag:

983k 10.5* driver, Reg flex graphite 904f 15* fairway wood, Reg flex Graphite Cobra SSI Irons 3-PWTA900 52* wedgeTA588 56* wedgeSeemore FGP2 custom putter w/ a Winn urban camo gripGolf Pride Tour Wrap gripsHome Courses:Horseshoe Bay: Ramrock, ...

I read about it an issue or two ago... and I still think it is stupid. Maybe for "some" high handicappers who don't want to take the time, but for most golfers I would think it is oversimplistic and not advantageous. Certainly you will loose some power and it would be more difficult to work the ball. I just don't see any purpose for such a thing.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Saw the nbs chipping article in the current issue of a golf magazine.

I, too, thought it was more of a drill than a real way to play.

I fail to see where this will help you overall.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Definitely a good drill. When the pros start jumping all over it maybe I'll think about it. It would be kinda funny to have a no backswing tournament.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

So you are addressing the ball, then move the club to the 1/2 to 3/4 position, then "pump", and release into the downswing. Where is the no backswing aspect, other than ignoring the initial takeoff/back?

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

I didn't read the article. The "no backswing" drill I used was to lift the club straight up into position, nothing else, and then simply rotate the shoulders/torso. That will put you at your top position. You then swing. All three of these are separate motions not continuous. The pause between each move doen't have to be long. This stresses how important it is to keep the arms in front of you, to stay connected in the backswing.

My Clubs
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I have tried this as a drill and find it makes everything worse for me. A full backswing is important to the timing and tempo of my swing and this idealogy throws that completely off. I get completely out of sync doing this. Like most things, if I took time to practice it I would probably get it figured out but I'm not so sure it's even a great training drill simply because it would throw timing and tempo off. I do this on partial swings (3/4 and 1/2 backswings for different distances), but on full swing, no.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

I've done that drill also, and it is very effective at putting you in the correct position at the top. It's funny how the golf media is jumping on this like they did the stack and tilt.

Mike Pedersen

Im gonna try it out just for the heck off it. Maybe if it works then I can determine if some of my problems are from the backswing.

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter

When I was first told to try the drill I am thinking wow this is going to be ugly, I'm going to just whiff on the ball. Suprisingly for me on this drill I hit pretty well the first time. When you do hit it well with the drill it just reinforces the principles it is trying to teach you. For me it was the golf swing is basically a lift of the arms and rotation of the upper body about the torso done in one smooth motion. It emphasized that it is a good idea to keep the arms between your shoulders instead of wrapping them around your body.

My Clubs

I have been doing this for a number of years in my practice-I see it as a back to basic mechanics type drill. Nothing revolutionary really!!! Don't see the big fuss! Difficult to get good rhythm or power, so not for actual play-surely!?

Not bad for a type of practice but silly as your standard golf swing IMO. Yes, if there's "no backswing" you won't have any "backswing errors" - 100% of them will have disappeared. Bravo!

But so will a lot of your distance, and your rhythm, and your weight shift, and your ..... Your backswing helps to get you on plane for the forward swing, and of course is important for the coil.

The other problem is gonna be: how do you NOT get distracted when your playing partners, and casual onlookers, start snickering loudly as you stand there in your "no backswing" setup? Not to mention the loss of cred on the track.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

i took a power swing clinic and this was one of the drills...
the pro took a pw and hammered it to 120 with no backswing...
he said we all could do it if we had the proper fundamentals...
the reason i took the clinic obviously was distance issues...
sorry... theres no way possible even when i pured it did i come anywhere near his distance...
but his demonstration amazed me none the less
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 4072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!