IGNORED

Hitting Irons to low?

Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I currently can't seem to get my irons on a high flight. I am hitting them solid but they just don't go high. What am I doing wrong? I NEED HELP!

15 yrs old

DriverBurner 10.5 degree stiff flexFairway Burner 15 degree proforce 75 gram regular flex Hybridrescue dual 19 degree stiff flexHybrid edge cft hybrid 24 degree stiff flex Irons progressive XC 5-PW regular HOPING FOR TOUR PREFERRED's!SW rac satin tp wedge 56 degreesLW spin milled...

I'm gonna take a guess before someone else comes in with the right answer and say you are attacking the ball too much on a downward angle and thus hitting the ball on the top of the clubface. I only say this because it is the same problem i am having, among others, and that is what's causing it for me.

Hit down to go up. Are you taking a divot? If so, is the divot behind or in front of the ball? Ideally, the club should strike the ball and then the ground with the result that your divot should be in front of the ball, not behind it.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I'm eagerly watching this thread in hope that suggestions continue to come forth.

I'm so tired of the low iron flight, too. Hoping to pick up a tip or two.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Impossible to say without actually seeing your swing, but it's entirely possible that you're delofting your irons unintentionally because the hands are leading through the hitting zone too much. A good indication of that could be if you're significantly longer with your irons than your playing partners of similar abilities.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm trying to get my ballflight down a little. I'll gladly take some of your low ballflight. Want to trade?

Most definitely.....we need to see a witchdoctor to make this happen!!!!

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

If you are hitting your irons low, you are topping the shots and hitting only the lower groves of your iron, Check by putting tape or some type of marking on the club face or the ball to see where you are making contact on the club face.

Either take lesson from a pro or practice your chipping and pitching and you will find that you are hitting these shots thin also, work at the chipping so that you can consistently hit solid contact and elevate the ball in the air.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I currently can't seem to get my irons on a high flight. I am hitting them solid but they just don't go high. What am I doing wrong? I NEED HELP!

Well I had this problem as a result of rushing the ball with my left arm (and left side of body), instead of releasing the club with my right hand I would hit the ball using the left arm (and left side of body) and tend to be over the top of the ball delofting it.

Try the feet together drill: See if that improves flight when you hit the ball using the feet together, if it does I would hazzard a guess you are throwing your left arm and body at the ball deflofting the club (as opposed to releasing the club with your right hand), the feet together drill doesn't allow you to do this (through your left arm and left side of the body) and 'promotes release'.

I agree with blackxpress..... you need to hit down to get the ball up. It could be a problem with your equipment also, if your shafts are too stiff, you might have a hard time getting the ball up. But if it is a mechanical problem, check your ball posistion, having it too far back could result in lower ball flight. Lastly, if your still struggling with this on the course, dont try to mess around, just use quick fixes, like having a higher finish. Plus, alot of people would give anything to have your ball flight :) Good luck with your golf game!!

P.S. Im 14 also :)

Driver: 909 D3
3 Wood: 909 F3 13
Rescue: 909 17
Irons: AP2 3-PW
Wedges 58 degree and 52 Spin Milled (oil can) Newport 2(custom shop):taylormade: TP Penta 4-Under Golf Bag (Red/White)

Impossible to say without actually seeing your swing, but it's entirely possible that you're delofting your irons unintentionally because the hands are leading through the hitting zone too much. A good indication of that could be if you're significantly longer with your irons than your playing partners of similar abilities.

+1

I do this alot myself. I deloft and almost hood my irons sometimes. Its a bad habit that pretty much starts at address.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Lots of good ideas here...

Irons are hit with a decending blow, ball, then divot as has been said. Also noted is the lower ball flight of hitting it thin. Just a groove or two changes flight a lot. Other than that, your swing speed is a super important factor in ball height. High swing speeds produce high spin and lots of height.

I guess my question is how much spin do you have as the ball lands? If you hit a low 9 nine iron, for example, and the ball checks and sticks where it lands, then count your blessings -- a lot of us prefer that shot. Crisp iron shots are not baloons. You probably see those towering 3 irons pros hit, but to do that, you need clubhead speed and lots of it. Not many 14 year olds can generate than kind of clubhead speed. But just wait... I watched my nephew at 14, and the by the time he was 16, then 17, his ability to hit high long irons vastly improved. You are about to enter a rapidly changing time with your swing speed (if you are like most young people.)

RC

I'm wondering how low is low? If they are burning grass, then you're topping the ball, and either you need to get it further back in your stance or be sure you're keeping your head behind the ball, knees bent, &/or ensure you're properly releasing the club & being tension free.

If it's flying, but just lower than what you'd expect, other suggestions in this thread apply.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

check ball position

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

1. Get some impact tape.

2. Find someplace to hit where you can hit off the ground (not a mat). Preferably soft soil or sand where you can take a good divot (and the divot will be easy to see.) Draw a line on the ground perendicular to the target. Put the ball on the line. Hit it.

The impact tape will show you where on the clubface you are hitting the ball. If you are topping the ball it will be obvious from the tape.

Look at the divot you took. It should begin 4 FULL INCHES PAST THE LINE. Not behind it, but towards the target. If your diviot begins at or just past the line (or heaven forbid before the line) you are not hitting the ball on your downswing. You want to impact the ball just before the bottom of your swing arc, not actually at the bottom of the arc.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

1. Get some impact tape.

4 inches? who told you that? lol. inch and a half in front of the ball, perhaps two with wedges and short irons.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

4 inches? who told you that? lol. inch and a half in front of the ball, perhaps two with wedges and short irons.

That could have been a misinterpretation of Clampett's recommendation to have the swing bottom roughly 4-5 inches in front of the ball. The divot itself definitely shouldn't

start 4 inches in front of the ball though.

Maybe he meant 4 centimeters??? Actually, there is no set number that "should be" the start of the divot -- just so long as you hit the ball first. There are even cases where you need a little run out but need to pitch up, so a little bounce right at impact helps get the ball to roll rather than check up. But, of course, most of the time we want the divot in front of the ball -- but swing types vary on how far ahead this should be, as does the type of shot you want to play.

RC

Note: This thread is 5504 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!