IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I am not a Tiger hater at all. That being said, until he matches the Golden Bears majors total, he'll have to settle for second IMHO. Jack's performance as the joker in Batman puts him over the edge too.

Will Tiger win more Major's YES

but will he have as many wins AND seconds at Jack ???

My head says that Tiger will be the greatest, but my heart says that Jack has some things on his side that make him more like Bradman (Australian cricketer who was twice as good as any other player ever).
My points in Jack's favour would be:

1. In contention. I think when the dust settles, Jack would have put himself in contention to win more. How many seconds in majors does Tiger have?
2. Up brining: Tiger was born to gold and swinging a golf club before he could walk. Jack was good at a few sports (and yes Tiger was a cross country runner), although didn't get "into" golf until he was at an age that he could make a decision about it.
3. Rolemodel: nuff said, not going to drudge up the past, but the greatest should mean more than simply most wins.

Who cares about seconds? If we were going by your logic then Bobby Jones is by far the greatest golfer of all time.

I never have been clear if this thread started out being about who is the better between Jack or Tiger, or which one of them is the best of all time. If it's number 2, Bobby Jones must definitely be added to the debate. Among other evidence, I once read Francis Ouimet saying, "When I played Bobby Jones he would give one hole per side and he'd still annihilate me. You have no idea how good he was!"

If we're counting majors, then let's include Walter Hagen, who won 19 tournaments that were considered majors in his time.

I never have been clear if this thread started out being about who is the better between Jack or Tiger, or which one of them is the best of all time. If it's number 2, Bobby Jones must definitely be added to the debate. Among other evidence, I once read Francis Ouimet saying, "When I played Bobby Jones he would give one hole per side and he'd still annihilate me. You have no idea how good he was!"

Exactly. Bobby Jones quit the game at what, 27? Has a 62% win rate and played with hickory shafts (for all those with the technology argument) The only argument I can say he has against him was back then a few of the majors (can't remember which) were matchplay, which is a different ball game to stroke play.

Lose-lose argument this one.

The only argument I can say he has against him was back then a few of the majors (can't remember which) were matchplay, which is a different ball game to stroke play.

Only the PGA, for which he wasn't eligible as an amateur anyway, and the US and British Amateur titles - which seem to be being discarded from his Major count in any case. The Opens were all strokeplay - but doesn't it say something about him that he was a multiple winner, whatever the format?

As a recent fan of the game I gotta go with Tiger.

No you don't 'gotta' go with anyone. You could take time and learn more about the history of the game and the players talked about on this thread, their achievements and records, before casting a vote.

The more I learn about the history of the game the more I realize that there were some pretty spectacular players in the past.

That's the way to do it! Hope you didn't waste your vote already...

Who cares about seconds? If we were going by your logic then Bobby Jones is by far the greatest golfer of all time.

Seconds matter in this discussion because a few strokes would have given Jack about 30 majors and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Even Tiger has said that Jack's top 5 finishes will never be matched. It could be argued that Tiger is a more efficient closer, but if you are not in position to win, it doesn't matter how good a closer you are.

And, Bobby Jones may actually be the greatest of all time! Love your avatar by the way--I am drinking out of an Elvis mug as I type!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Seconds matter in this discussion because a few strokes would have given Jack about 30 majors and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Even Tiger has said that Jack's top 5 finishes will never be matched. It could be argued that Tiger is a more efficient closer, but if you are not in position to win, it doesn't matter how good a closer you are.

In the 2700+ posts in this thread I'm sure this has come up already but 2nd place doesn't mean a thing and I'd bet Jack Nicklaus agrees. These guys don't play for second place. Second might as well be last.

That said, at this point in their career's Jack is the best ever. it's too early to know if Tiger will be the best ever.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the 2700+ posts in this thread I'm sure this has come up already but 2nd place doesn't mean a thing and I'd bet Jack Nicklaus agrees. These guys don't play for second place. Second might as well be last.

I read Johnny Miller saying that in one of the years he finished T2 at the Masters with Nicklaus, they were both sitting on the dais and Miller was pretty excited, and Nicklaus said to him, "Second place. Big deal."

No you don't 'gotta' go with anyone. You could take time and learn more about the history of the game and the players talked about on this thread, their achievements and records, before casting a vote.

LOL! Isn't that the initial reason for this thread? Given the choice between Jack or Tiger ONLY, then I stick to my original choice. I GOTTA go with Tiger.

And, Bobby Jones may actually be the greatest of all time!

Cheers! I really just got it because everyone else has a golf avatar. :]

Only the PGA, for which he wasn't eligible as an amateur anyway, and the US and British Amateur titles - which seem to be being discarded from his Major count in any case. The Opens were all strokeplay - but doesn't it say something about him that he was a multiple winner, whatever the format?

Absolutely it does. I'm just saying if Golf majors were always played in a matchplay format like Tennis, I think Jack and Tiger's major wins would be higher.

Tiger, mentally and physically strongest player in golf if not all sports.

Bag: Stand bag
Driver: 9.5* Mach speed Str8
3 wood: 16* Tight lies
Irons: TA5 gunmetal 3-pw
Wedges: Tour Action 900 56* and 60*Putter: Two ballBalls: Pro V1 lostgolfballs.comGlove: Shoes: