IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertpig

Awesome reply!

… from 2008. C'mon man.

The year doesn't matter - the point PEZ makes is that no matter how you try to compare statistics between the eras, it's nearly impossible to say with any certainty who is or was actually the best player because you can never match them head to head.  You can spout numbers and state opinions til the cows come home and that won't make that comparison any more valid.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The year doesn't matter - the point PEZ makes is that no matter how you try to compare statistics between the eras, it's nearly impossible to say with any certainty who is or was actually the best player because you can never match them head to head.  You can spout numbers and state opinions til the cows come home and that won't make that comparison any more valid.

It's not about the point someone is making it's about keeping the conversation current.  DP is starting from the beginning of the thread and quoting from '06, '08.  I'm sure the same points have been regurgitated somewhere over the last 20 pages.  Quoting from that far back is confusing to other readers and doesn't make sense, we don't know the context of the post, if PEZ was responding to someone else, heck PEZ hasn't made a post since '10 so the person quoting him isn't really conversing with him.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's not about the point someone is making it's about keeping the conversation current.  DP is starting from the beginning of the thread and quoting from '06, '08.  I'm sure the same points have been regurgitated somewhere over the last 20 pages.  Quoting from that far back is confusing to other readers and doesn't make sense, we don't know the context of the post, if PEZ was responding to someone else, heck PEZ hasn't made a post since '10 so the person quoting him isn't really conversing with him.

If that's the case then wouldn't it make sense to chop off the earlier part of the discussion to keep anyone from making that mistake in the future.  If you aren't going to allow anyone to refer to an earlier post, then why waste anyone's time with the temptation to read them?

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

If that's the case then wouldn't it make sense to chop off the earlier part of the discussion to keep anyone from making that mistake in the future.  If you aren't going to allow anyone to refer to an earlier post, then why waste anyone's time with the temptation to read them?

No. People still made those posts, and you wouldn't want your old posts deleted. This isn't a big problem - people almost never quote seven-year-old posts. So the few times it happens a year, we say "read the more recent posts" and the person usually does. "Problem" solved.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

… from 2008. C'mon man.

I didn't realize I'm not allowed to comment on previous posts? I didn't see that in the rule book. Does it matter if the post is 6 years ago if I find the post intriguing enough to comment on?  Are opinions irrelevant just because they're older?

Are opinions irrelevant just because they're older?

Well, actually, they can be.  Sometimes information is presented to counter that opinion or a counter-argument is made which refutes it.  In other words, it can be outdated.

Especially on forums when arguments on certain topics become cyclical and eventually circular.  Maybe it's not against the rules, per se (although I've seen it be against the rules on some forums), but it is somewhat discourteous to the posters to not stay current with the topic when discussing it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Well, actually, they can be.  Sometimes information is presented to counter that opinion or a counter-argument is made which refutes it.  In other words, it can be outdated.   Especially on forums when arguments on certain topics become cyclical and eventually circular.  Maybe it's not against the rules, per se (although I've seen it be against the rules on some forums), but it is somewhat discourteous to the posters to not stay current with the topic when discussing it.

Also considering the topic of this thread, it seems particularly silly to rely on an opinion from '08. One of the two subjects has done a considerable amount of playing and winning (and losing) since then. It's already hard to compare the two when you consider that one of them isn't done, so why go back 5 years?

Also considering the topic of this thread, it seems particularly silly to rely on an opinion from '08. One of the two subjects has done a considerable amount of playing and winning (and losing) since then. It's already hard to compare the two when you consider that one of them isn't done, so why go back 5 years?

Ok. Now that I'm up to date and "commenting" on posts as of 2014, my point of contention still is valid and current regardless of what date post I put a comment on. You cannot refute that my earlier assertion that Jack STILL has a total of 18 majors won ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Nicklaus ) and Tiger has won 14 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods ) so far. To contend that my comments are non sequitur I think is just splitting hairs, just because I used old statistics to back up a current claim. Tiger still has not won a major since 2008 (the last being the US Open). So even if I comment on statistics as late as 2008 - it is still relevant.

It's not relevant unless you think majors are the only way to pick the GOAT. Since 2008 Tiger has passed Jack in tour wins. Hes added a POY, another scoring title, a players championship, and a few more WGC titles.

• Administrator

It's not relevant unless you think majors are the only way to pick the GOAT.

I was going to say "QFT" but I don't entirely agree. # of majors is a factor for almost everyone - but for many, it's simply not the ONLY factor that weighs on their decision/opinion.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What does qft mean?

Quoted for Truth.......  Means you completely agree with the post to which you're referring.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quoted for Truth.......  Means you completely agree with the post to which you're referring.

Lol, no way?!?! All this time I thought I had you guys figured out and I thought it meant "quite f***ing true!!!" Whoops. (Generally similar sentiment, however I unfairly attributed you guys with a bit of emphasis and vulgarity ;))

Lol, no way?!?! All this time I thought I had you guys figured out and I thought it meant "quite f***ing true!!!" Whoops. (Generally similar sentiment, however I unfairly attributed you guys with a bit of emphasis and vulgarity ;))

LOL

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator

LOL

QFT*.

* Queerily Funny Trollop.

Anyway, back to the topic…

Quoted for thought :-D

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition