IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Jack's still the best, but Tiger will surpass him.

In my Grom:

HiBore XLS 10.5 / ProLaunch Blue
Ti Great Big Bertha Warbird 3 Wood
Killer Whale 5 WoodPinemeadow Command 3 Hy Eye 2 + 4-9 Irons 588 RTG 49 "Special", Gunmetal 56, RTG 60 White Hot #5 Tour B330-RXEpoch Tees Royal Oaks Golf Club

It is always difficult to compare athletes in any sport across generations. There have just been too many advances in physical training, and technology (in golf, especially).

But on an even playing field, I have to give the title to Jack, for right now.

I love Tiger, and there is no doubt in my mind that he can eventually top Jack. But he still has to do it.
"There is no miracle tip. Fix your swing."

In the bag:
Sumo2 w/ Aldila VS Proto 60g S
Halo 2h Apex Pro 4-PW Vokey 2 52.08/56.10/60.04 Red X #3 34" Tour Deep

I wasn't old enough to see Jack in his prime or even past his prime but as Tiger will probably hold both the Majors wins record and tour wins record before he turns 40 while playing 10-15 events a year I'd have to side with Tiger

in my exterme sport bag :
Driver : SQ 460 9.5* Aldila NV65R
3 Wood: Ignite 15* graphite R shaft
2 Hybrid : 3DX DC 17*
3h-PW: Ignite with uniflex stock shaftWedges: Vokey 256.14 260.08Putters: Studio Style Newport 2 35", Red X-3 35" 350g, Solestamp Newport TeI3Balls: NXT Tour Shoes SP-8

To me, it's gotta be Jack.

I only remember seeing him on TV a bit when I was a kid and for some reason, he appealed to me.

Watching Tiger has never given me that feeling. Maybe cause I'm not a kid anymore....who knows.

It has to be Tiger. Golf is so much more accessible to the masses these days you have to wonder if there was anyone out there during Jack's era that just didn't have the opportunity to play.

Also, when Tiger is hitting on all cylinders there's not a player in history that could match him mentally and physically.

Let's be honest, Tiger is 31.. Has 13 majors and 61 tour wins. Unless he gets hit by a bus or is diagnosed with a career threatening illness (GOD FORBID!!) he's going to win at least one major every two years. Which means, we'll only have to ask this question for another 10 years

Don't get me wrong, Jack is a legendary golfer, but I have to give the nod to Tiger for greatest of all time.

In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

I wasn't alive at jack's prime so I go with tiger being the greatest golfer, also tiger can rip it further, has a better short game, and he's a built athlete, what else is their to say?

I like both Tiger and Jack, however when Jack was in his prime the technology wasn't quite what it is now. The clubs, balls, etc are much better than when Jack was in his 20's and 30's. I'm not trying to downgrade what Tiger has accomplished because he is a great golfer, I'd just like to see what Jack could do using today's equipment or what Tiger could do with yesterday's equipment. Will call it a science experiment

I think Eldrick has a better overall game than Mr. Nicklaus, but Jack is by far a better sportsman than Tiger! Tiger is completely oblivious to the fans who pay good money to come watch him play (he is playing a game by the way, it's not exactly life or death).

i wasn't around to see jack dominate but it's hard to argue against tiger not just because of his ability but his way to think around the golf course. he has such an imagination and the athletic ability to pull of almost any shot.
what's in the bag

Driver: looking for a new one

3 wood: Hibore 15 degreeHybrid: Halo 2 ironIrons: 704 CB 3-PWWedges: CG 10 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XG Marxman MalletBall: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I voted for Jack, based on the response options, but probably should qualify that choice. I'm not old enough to have watched Jack in his prime, but the '86 Masters is the dominant memory I have of watching televised golf as a kid, and I certainly remember the canonical status my dad, uncle, and grandfather seemed to grant to Jack, both as we watched that tournament and as they taught me how to play.

I love to watch Tiger play. I root for him when he's in contention, and I think he'd probably beat Jack regularly if they faced each other in their primes. But I think golf is particularly suited to measuring achievement in a summary sort of way. Comparing Jack's career to Tiger's is rather like comparing the 2004 Red Sox to the 2007 Red Sox (a pox on both their houses!). That '04 team was good and exciting, and they advanced to and won the World Series in remarkable and impressive fashion. The '07 team, an arguably more complete and talented group, looks poised to do that in a more impressive and dominant fashion, but they haven't done it yet.

So, maybe one could say that while Tiger might be the better player (longer, stronger, superior short game, more dominant relative to his competition, etc.), he's not yet the golfer Jack was/is. Whatever. This reply is too long for this topic, but one more thing. Anybody ever watch an older "Jack Nicklaus: Golf My Way" video? My dad bought it for me and my brother when we were kids, and I still get it out and watch it once a year or so. Still pretty good stuff.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

I think Tiger and Jack are probably near each of in skill and ability. However, the physical conditioning program and eating habits of Tiger will enable him to exceed Jack's records and playing longivity.