IGNORED

So I tried blades today...

Note: This thread is 5457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

finally I got to try my Titleist blades (695MB) on the range today.

I was expecting balls all over the place and frustration, but what shall I say....
Mishits weren't worse, but the good ones were better than the AP1s. Ok, I used only 6i - 9i, but I was really surprised. It was the first time I tried blades.
Better trajectory, and no distance loss, even though the 695MB have 3° weaker lofts.

So how can I explain this?
Either I was focussing more, or my mishits are really only 'vertical', meaning mostly thin and sometimes fat.

Any other hacker like me with this experience?

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

see, they're not as hard to hit as most people say they are.

I think when they are described as unforgiving people cringe away. I hit the Mizuno MP 52's and LOVED it. I am heading to a Demo Day next weekend to test out the rest of the models.

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

see, they're not as hard to hit as most people say they are.

Exactly. Been saying this for ages as well. If you have a reasonable swing they'll work well for you.

As for the 3° weaker loft etc, I guess they have a higher CoG than a lot of other irons so they'll launch low enough even with +3° on other GI-type irons. Maybe....

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lets see if I just had a good ball striking day, or if I can repeat the experience tomorrow.

I will definitely keep them for lessons and range sessions.

On the course, this is still a different game for me. Much more tension, swaying, swinging to hard,.....

In my Tour Combo Bag:

3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

I play blades and had never really noticed them being difficult to hit.

What I have noticed however, is that if you are toeing the ball you are screwed with blades since there is 0 weight there. Also if you hit it high on the face at all its pretty much dead as well.

Lastly, I had NEVER shanked a ball prior to getting blades. That was approx 6 years of playing golf. I shanked balls for the first time ever last year. Its much easier to do it with blades with the clubhead being smaller basically leaving no room to hit shots off the heel.

After going to blades, when my game is pretty shitty ive gone back to cavity backs for a week and its amazing how easy it is to hit them. Im definately tempted to get a pro combo or forged type deal next time.

Exactly. Been saying this for ages as well. If you have a reasonable swing they'll work well for you.

I wouldn't go that far. But I do agree that the 'blades are impossible to hit' thing is mostly mental.

Agreed! I love blades. I played game-improvement irons for years, but after transitioning to musclebacks, I could never go back. Every time I even look at a game-improvement club, it looks like a boat anchor. By the way nykfan4life, I love your avatar - Kramer is my hero!
Driver - Kenneth Smith 460 Classic Grafalloy Blue
Woods - Kenneth Smith 3 & 5 Woods Grafalloy Blue
Irons - Kansas City KC-102 Musclebacks Harrison Professional Shafts
Wedges - Kansas City 56* & 60* KCM-Grinds Harrison Professional Shafts
Putter - Kansas City Prototype

Lets see if I just had a good ball striking day, or if I can repeat the experience tomorrow.

Good luck man. I hope things go well.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

The biggest thing I have always notice with players clubs v. GI is that the mishits don't go anywhere. Anything will hit the ball fine if you hit the sweet spot. The problem most people have is hitting the sweet spot. The 695's will be great clubs if you hit them in the center. If you hit them high on the toe you will get about half the yardage. Where a GI iron hit high on the toe you won't be quite so bad off.

They are not any harder to hit, they are just harder to hit well.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

The biggest thing I have always notice with players clubs v. GI is that the mishits don't go anywhere. Anything will hit the ball fine if you hit the sweet spot. The problem most people have is hitting the sweet spot. The 695's will be great clubs if you hit them in the center. If you hit them high on the toe you will get about half the yardage. Where a GI iron hit high on the toe you won't be quite so bad off.

When I say mishit, I mean mishit.

80% of my mishits with the irons are sculls that roll 50 yds. (I am not watching my tempo enough and do not properly follow through on these mishits) Thats why I really did not hit the blades any worse than the GI. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to play today. On wednesday I will go on vacation and hopefully get to play every day, while I send my wife to the spa (I am gonna play 'Germany's only Links course' according to their website.) I will let ya'll know if I have thrown the 695 into the big pond when I am back.
Good luck man. I hope things go well.

Thanks!

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Good for you, trying out something and purchasing something that wasnt a 100 percent guarentee and, to have it turn out good, awsome!
Blades are probably underated if anything, but are a little harder for someone who has an inconsistant swing...

In my Tour Bag:

Taylormade RBZ Driver, 3w, 3h
Cobra Amp Cell Irons 4i-pw
Vokey Wedges, 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Putter

"I'd shoot an eagle anyday over a regular ol' birdie"

Agreed! I love blades. I played game-improvement irons for years, but after transitioning to musclebacks, I could never go back. Every time I even look at a game-improvement club, it looks like a boat anchor. By the way nykfan4life, I love your avatar - Kramer is my hero!

Haha, thanks. Made him my avatar because my swing is probably about as coordinated and graceful as I imagine his to be.

I worked at a golf course in the Islands and we got to hit free balls at the range so I got back into golf. I would get hours of practice in but the only clubs that were left handed were some old mizuno blades. They weren't as hard to hit as I thought. They felt so good! especially on off center hits. They just fly out to the exact spot that you're aiming at. I'm sticking to cavity backs for now until my game gets better from the rough but I can't wait to hit blades again. Gotta keep on working hard.

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

Good for you, trying out something and purchasing something that wasnt a 100 percent guarentee and, to have it turn out good, awsome!

scored a really good deal on ebay, so risk is close to zero

In my Tour Combo Bag:

I just told myself that the day I break 80 is the day it becomes a priority for me to buy a set of blades, used or new.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!