IGNORED

Zach Johnson Ball Position

Note: This thread is 3913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've noticed that Zach Johnson seems to tee his ball at the toe of his driver. Does anybody else out there do this or know why he does? I guess it could work if you constantly hit the ball towards the heel when you teed it up in the middle of the club but I would think a tour pro would be able to make the slight swing change to fix that.

• Administrator
I've noticed that Zach Johnson seems to tee his ball at the toe of his driver. Does anybody else out there do this or know why he does? I guess it could work if you constantly hit the ball towards the heel when you teed it up in the middle of the club but I would think a tour pro would be able to make the slight swing change to fix that.

Helps him swing out through the ball to hit his usual draw. Usually drawers will do that. Faders, if they address the ball somewhere other than the center, will tend to do it off the heel a little.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read somewhere to do this since the arms extend more out towards the ball at the downswing. This could maybe be useful for trying to help me get rid of those slices with the driver.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Helps him swing out through the ball to hit his usual draw. Usually drawers will do that. Faders, if they address the ball somewhere other than the center, will tend to do it off the heel a little.

exactly. I draw the ball and to promote my draw, i line my driver up with about an inch between the toe and the ball. Swing out and turn the club over.

I read somewhere to do this since the arms extend more out towards the ball at the downswing. This could maybe be useful for trying to help me get rid of those slices with the driver.

I am doing that.

When I tee up at the sweetspot of the driver, I consistently hit the drive at the heel of the clubface.

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

Ive been doing this since the day i picked up a golf club....im glad somebody on tour does it so now my pro can STFU lol.. Are there any pictures of this set up?

Im a former baseball player, so it helps me get that mental image of "going out to get the ball" I dont know if that makes any sense, but it works for me.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

exactly. I draw the ball and to promote my draw, i line my driver up with about an inch between the toe and the ball. Swing out and turn the club over.

Ditto. - When I want to draw a drive.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Exactly. I like a draw and tend to set up this way when it's not quite working as I'd like.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

• 5 months later...
I tried to position the ball about 1/2 inch outside the toe my driver and it seem to work. The way I hit it is like a baseball player striking the ball with the arms fully extended and the shaft and my arm forming a straight line. Is there any problem hitting ball like this?

I was told by a pro that you lose power since the wrist is in a fully uncock position upon impact with the ball.

• 3 years later...
Note: This thread is 3913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!