IGNORED

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

juanrjackson

iacas said it but I will too. Iron covers are really considered hacker equipment. They rate in importance somewhere between those ridiculous clicker things people use to keep their score and the swiss army knife/ divot tool/ cleat wrench/ ball marker/ cleat brush. No real player I know would be caught dead using iron covers, they are the golfing equipment equivalent of a pocket protector.

The phrase for those who can't help using iron head covers is "anal retentive". They are the Felix Ungers of the golf course. I'm more the Oscar Madison type...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My set of Nikes got pretty banged up, so when I got new clubs made up I started using soft covers. They keep the heads looking nice, and hold down on the noise of them clicking together.

SubPar

Its enough that i already gotta take off my Driver Cover, Wood Cover, and Putter Cover, think of it as a break in the middle! ahaha

In my Tour Bag:

Taylormade RBZ Driver, 3w, 3h
Cobra Amp Cell Irons 4i-pw
Vokey Wedges, 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Putter

"I'd shoot an eagle anyday over a regular ol' birdie"

And I'm sure the folks at Callaway, Taylormade, Ping etc. paying their huge paychecks would just love it for the pros to cover up the clubs they're trying to sell.

True. And these guys can get new clubs anytime they want, where the average guy might want to protect the resale value of his irons.

A friend of mine shot a movie in which Parnevik appeared. When Jesper brought his clubs to the set they looked like a beat up old set someone found at a garage sale. On the other hand, I heard Vijay uses a new set of wedges every week. To each his own. You want to keep your clubs looking a little better, use covers. If not, don't. SubPar

I don't give a sh*t about using iron covers. This is my second set of forged irons and I learned the hard way the first time of what bag chatter does to a forged club.

So you use them or don't use them? And if you did I probably wouldn't call you a dweeb anyway. That would be rude. I would just simply think to myself

Hey nice iron covers, wheres your ball retreiver?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if you look behind the counter at any proshop... there are tons of headcovers in the lost and found...
wood covers and hybrid covers are all i need to keep track of... and i can barely do that... heck just in a round youll see them off cartpaths...
i think the only time id ever use iron head covers... is if my bag is in cargo... other than that its too much of a hassle... after every shot making sure your clubs are clean enough to put them on... slows down my play
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I think it has to do with the caddies too. As an amatuer in a cart, you're driving in that thing, banging around the course. Up down down cart paths and bridges, bumps in fairways. Irons get banged around. The idea of iron covers is to eliminate those dings. Walking, you can control the clanking.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I notice that some of you use iron covers to reduce chatter. We've already given up the sound of real spikes on the cart path. Sometimes I miss real golf.

. . I pay for mine and like them without the dings.....which makes me a dweeb by the way

Dweeb here too.

Albeit, I use them strictly for storage @ home in that case that my bag falls over. They come off before the clubs even get out of the trunk. Until my clubs are thoroughly cleaned and well oiled, I don't even think about putting them on.
You don't know what pressure is until you've played for five dollars a hole with only two in your pocket - Lee Trevino

MP-600 @ 10.5°
Insight BUL 3-wood @ 15°
Insight BUL 5-wood @ 18° IDEA a2 4i Hybrid @ 23° MX-25 5-PW MP-R Series 52° > 50°/05° MP-R Series 54°/10° MP-R...

Tubes will cause your grips to wear faster.

At least around the butt of the grip.

No. Irons last for months, years, etc. Some pros have had the same iron sets for several years.

Justabout sprayed coffee over my keyboard when I read this. You hit it right down the middle. Reason it was funny to me takes me back many years...when I first started playing. One of ....if not my first golf bag was a PING Hoofer. At the time they were angled at the bottom in order to make for stable standing with the legs deployed. I used mine for riding some, too....as most of the guys I was playing and learning from did. They laughed at how my bag would never stand upright in the cart and I always seemed to be struggling with it. I stuffed it full of tubes thinking it'd help. Boy, they really laughed watching me pull out a club and the tube would come out with it.....then I was fooling around with taking the iron cover off, too....the old heavy rubber type made by Castle Bay (I think). Heck it took me forever to get a club out of the bag and ready for play....which was fine because I was always hitting last anyway. I'd forgotten how dorky I was with all the cover and tube stuff....added to all the useless crap I had hanging on my bag...it's amazing that I never had a chipper....somehow I wised up and streamlined my gear.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Iron covers and a ball retrievers go hand-in-hand….

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

I thought of another good reason. Since the bags are real big and the tubes would be all over the place, anytime they get pissed and slam the club back in the bag, they might hit the top of the tube and the club could bounce back and hit them and cause a serious injury.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

It sort of a pain with the iron headcovers when I put them in the "caddy rack" on the bag (sort of a tight fit). The covers are all stringed together, haven't lost a iron headcover in 2 years.

Neeedless to say I'm all for them.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

What says, "I suck at golf" more than iron covers and a ball retriever? Honestly, i heard that tiger and phil get around 11 sets of irons a year...so it really doesnt matter it they get bumped up, because they will be using new ones in no time.
Sometimes i think people forget that irons are tool, which are ment to be used! Stop trying to preserve them like their trophies.

I'll occasionally play w/ a guy who has iron covers, and the first time seeing them I really wanted to laugh him out of my cart and off the course!!

My god, how stupid looking can you get?

I don't say anything because I don't personally know him that well, but when my good friend and usual golfing partner talked about getting these hideous things when he got a new set of irons I didn't hesitate to tell him what I thought of that idea......

(I threatened to not be his golfing partner anymore, among the other things I was telling him)

I like dressing sharp and looking good on the golf course, so I'm not about to share my cart w/ a bag on the back that has iron covers......

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x