IGNORED

Lessons v. Self Taught

Big_M
Note: This thread is 5468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't think lessons are needed. I played for 15 years with no lessons and was about a 12 handicap. I taught myself a pretty good and repeatable swing. I decided to get lessons because I just couldn't get below a 12. The lessons went very well and he only made some minor adjustments in my swing. The best thing he taught me was a good pre-shot routine and helped me with my aiming. I was a decent golfer prior to lessons but I would call myself a good golfer after lessons. I went down to an 8 handicap after the lessons and then I hurt my back. 5 years later and I'm just returning to the game. Lessons are not needed but they certainly don't hurt IMO.

So, you dropped your hdcp by 25%, but you don't think lessons are needed. Hmmm.

i think if tiger uses a swing coach... the average everyday play can also benefit from a pro's advice... being self taught is great but why limit yourself unless you are satisfied with where youre at?

ding ding ding, we have a winner!

I'm totally self taught. I had a HS golf coach who gave me about 3 tips ever, and I had a pro look at my swing once and tell me what to adjust, which was back to my original swing before my coach tried to mess with it.

You've played since HS and you're a 16+ index? And you don't think lessons would help? I'd shoot myself if I'd been playing since HS and didn't have a plus hdcp.

Does anyone just learn the game of golf these days the way I did... read books and practice (now I also use a video camera). I think that there is a lot to be said for teaching one's self. In the end you might come away with greater understanding... then again you might totally misapply everything you read.

I had a few lessons to get me started when I was a wee 11 year old Ben. Maybe seven or so that were interrupted when I fractured my collarbone skateboarding. I consider myself self-taught.

I put an enormous amount of stock into Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. I didn't even read the thing for about ten years, but relied on the pictures. That and practice and play. That's what got me to where I am today. I have read the book since though, about three times. Every time I read it I get another great piece for fine-tuning. I'll use it over and over. I wouldn't say that lessons are useless though. Its definitely a fast-track to an improved swing. I've been teaching steadily for a few months now, and wish I would have known a teacher like me when I grew up. I think I've got a pretty good approach and style. Based largely on Hogan's and Bob Rotella's theories. As long as a student and teacher click, the possibilities to improve are endless.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm self-taught and I definitely feel like there is a measure of pride to be had by being self-taught. It's cool when someone compliments me on my swing saying it looks "very natural" since I know that swing was completely built by me and myself alone. But everyone's different and not everyone derives as much joy as I do from watching countless instructional videos online and reading all types of literature. I guess it's just a project for me.

In My Hunter Bag:

SQ Sumo2 5900 Driver 10.5
SQ Sumo2 3w 15
A3OS 4 Hybrid 4-PW x20 Uniflex Steel Tom Watson Chrome 52, 56, 60 Sudio Stainless Laguna 2.5 Raw Distance TitaniumGo Bears

Something tells me the people who absolutely refuse to get a lesson are the same ones who hate it when they're told what they're doing wrong.

Well I hate it when I'm

told what I'm doing wrong in any endeavor...unless I asked in the first place ;) To answer the OP - I think lessons from a pro are optimally beneficial to 2 types of players: noobs and single digit HCs. It helps those that don't have a clue how to hit a golf ball at least be able to play a round without wanting to quit the game for good and it helps those that have hit a major plateau get better. Sure it wouldn't hurt anyone to get a lesson from a good pro, but to break bank when your a mid-capper to me doesn't make sense. I was lucky to have my uncle teach me the basics (putting, short game, full swing) when I was about 10. I've gotten some tips along the way when paired up with a pro. But for the most part - I'm self taught. Also I've played baseball pretty much my entire life. Unfortunately I'm not privy to getting out on the course often, but I definitely have not yet hit my plateau - Every time I play I feel like I'm getting better even if my scorecard doesn't indicate it. Ben Hogan's 5 fundamentals is probably the best book I've read and has done wonders for my full swing.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I think this all boils down to playing golf and playing golf swing.If you want to play golf swing go to a coach.
I prefer to think of the game as less complicated than delving too deeply into mechanics,it's all about hitting targets.Yes I need to improve as you can see by my handicap but I can hit all sorts of shots,but just need to hit them more accurately.

Factoring peoples natural aptitude for learning some people may spend 1000's of pounds on lessons and improve their handicap by a couple of marks,and then there are those who pick up sports very quickly and get themselves down to single digits after learning a few basics,so it's not the same for everybody.

If you can be open minded whether by teaching yourself or by taking instruction from someone it's all about you as an individual and can't be compared to anyone elses improvement.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Just another thought taking lessons as in going to a local pro in your area is considered to be the action of a serious golfer and those that are self-taught being obstinate and too proud.

I have Jim Hardy's book,I have also used videos and articles by Jeff Ritter,and Mike LaBauve,so am I really self-taught,and does going to my local pro who by the way is a fine player,he plays on the senoirs british tour,and has won quite a few events in the last year,negate the effectiveness of that type of instruction.

Seems the greatest advantage is having someone look at your swing,past that is a coach really an advantage for the golfer who holds down a job and family.

Seems it's a small advantage,because for me it's practice that directly relates to improved performance above any coaching.

the reason there are pros are because you cant see yourself swing. Being self taught gives you sort of "bragging rights" that you arent an academy robot. The lessons ive had helped IMMENCELY right away, probably because I only thought about 1 move and just did it, then faults started to happen after about 2 weeks and it goes down hill and you gotta figure it out yourself a bit. Personally, I think it helps to get actual explanations instead of memorizing positions but thats just me.

im by no means rich... and quality lessons can get expensive...
so alot of the things i work on are from previous lessons... i have 2 kinds of swings... dont ask me why but i have an irons swing and a woods swing...
i never ever had problems with hitting it straight... i took a short game clinic and my wedge play improved dramatically...
thats exactly the same time i started slicing/pushing my woods badly...
it took weeks and weeks to try self diagnosing it... tried video taping myself... hitting 25%-50%-75%... nothing worked till i saw my pro... he took 5 seconds to tell me i was leading with my hands and not releasing the club... 10 range balls later and my driver works again...
i think its great that ppl are into being self taught... and certain ppl just have that natural ability to reach single digits without a teacher...
i know i cant do it... i am a visual learner and i know the components of a good golf swing but just going to the range and whacking away doesnt help me in the least... i would just get too frustrated at know what to do but not being able to do it... i think i woulda quit a long time ago cuz i dont think i would improve if i just tried teaching myself
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I'm going to have to disagree with Brakkus on this one. Sorry man. When you play "golf swing" as you called it you're teaching yourself muscle memory so that you can play golf. I stand my original post that most players need to take a video lesson and find out how they're doing things wrong. The problem with that pride that most self taught players have is that it blinds you from seeing when you need help. How can you possibly fix something that may be natural to you when the golf swing is full of subtle movements that happen in a flowing instant? If you're having problems with accuracy and you're lining up correctly then there is more than likely something wrong with your swing.

One more note, there are several types of lessons. Lessons are not just walking out to the driving range with the pro and hit a few balls.

I'll leave ya with with two of my favorite quotes about practice:
"Perfect practice makes perfect" - Bob Knight
"Practice makes permeneant" - Tiger Woods

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

You've played since HS and you're a 16+ index? And you don't think lessons would help? I'd shoot myself if I'd been playing since HS and didn't have a plus hdcp.

Well you would probably be dead if you played high school golf along with many others!!!!!

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

That's okay just wanted opinions.My pro charges about £5 a night for a 6 week clinic so looking at I suppose for the large american contingent on here that's probably about $50 for the entire thing or he is £15 for half hour or £25 for the hour so again around $40 for an hours instruction.

Personally I would take lessons if I could find the time to commit as I have said before I have looked to build a swing properly and I have chatted to the pro and watched him swing and he seems to adopt the more one plane method I am seeking to replicate.

I also think if you are intelligent enough you can work your way through managing a golf swing,but obviously a pro can spot tendencies earlier.

We readily acknowledge that Hogan has the best strike of the ball and he was self taught.He was very talented indeed,but if you gain knowledge about the swing and know why you are going wrong then you should be able to work out why you slice or hook or catch it fat or thin.Is it really that difficult?

Some just won't ever have the ability to play like the kids at school who were always picked last for football,not through lack of effort,but just that they couldn't play.Same with golf if you can learn and change then you will improve with lessons or without.

Yes I will agree that if I had lessons I would improve even faster,I know that,but I also know that I can make it on my own just probably slower

if you don't consider little tips people try to give you on the course/range, i pretty much taught myself. which is kind of cool. knowing i got myself this far, its kinda fulfilling. but i've been told i should take a lesson to help me further my skill. hoping to go into single digit handicap.
golf is just a game.
but if you love golf and you find yourself stuck in a rut. paying for a 1/2 hour session is no shame. whatever it takes to get better.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

I met a guy who mocked my pro the other day for the simplicity of his lessons.

After an exceptional few days of golf, I thought about the parts I learned myself and the parts my pro helped me with.

Without a doubt, there were things that would have taken me an awful lot longer to figure out if it hadn't been for the emphasis the Pro placed on them. They were things that I "sort of" was familiar with, sure, but I was not applying them properly or consistently, or not to the appropriate degree.

Once I put what he taught me with some things I figured out via other resources, things have started to gel like never before in just the last few weeks. But I can say a good part was thanks to the pro.

Can't wait to get out there and see if what has been working "in the lab," (range) works as well on the grass.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I have never taken a lesson in my life either. learned how to play from golf digest starting 30 years ago. But in recent years I just didn't play much and felt like my swing was in shambles.

But as others have said, the video camera has helped me a lot. I posted a few of my swings on swingacadamy.com last year and have had some very good advise. I pretty much started over from scratch last year and was playing better than I have since HS.

Brew

I see so many threads with 30 cappers asking about a club and people saying "go get a lesson instead, you are terrible at golf and no club will help you until you improve."

I'd a agree with most, that you don't have to have lessons. One of the problems of teaching yourself is you run the chance, and a very good one at that, of in graining bad habits, so when you do get lessons you will have to un learn some stuff, which is difficult.

I didn't start playing until my early 20's. The internet didn't exist (at least for the public), no one I knew played golf and cell phones were the size of a shoe box (and you only saw them on Miami Vice).

Today, with information at your fingertips it's much easier to get started on the right track.

I don't think you need lessons (especially if you have natural talent), but a few lessons to get solid fundamentals can save you a lot of time.

Note: This thread is 5468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!