IGNORED

Sharing Clubs?

cougar2588
Note: This thread is 3711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious as to what you guys think about sharing golf clubs on the course or the range. I don't mean like loaning a friend a club to try out on a certain shot, I'm talking about sharing your whole set while at the range or the course.

It seems to me that it has always been an unwritten rule that when on the course, every person should have their own set of clubs. Then there is the driving range where it may not be as big of a deal if your just there with a friend who has never played before and wants to try it out.

Discuss.
In my Datrek Cart Bag (soon to be replaced):

Driver: Lynx 2008 Predator Ti (10.5*, Regular Flex)
Woods: Walter Hagen AWS (3 Wood)
Hybrids: Walter Hagen MS2 Hybrids w/ graphite shafts (18*, 22*)Irons: Walter Hagen MS2 Irons w/ graphite shaftsWedges: 56* Taylor Made rac w/ steel shaft ; 52* Slazenger...

At the range its no big deal. On the course I can just seeing it lead to slowing down play if you both need the same club.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

don't say "discuss", its controlling!

not allowed, or frowned upon? Just asking, do some clubs, or course have policies against this? I would not do it, but then again I kept an older cheap set for the occasional guest that might want to play. At the range, I wouldn't see an issue at all.

In my bag are
Hibore XLS 10.5*
Hibore XLS 22* 3i Hybrid
TA7 irons 3-PW, SW
CG11 60* LW VP #5 putter.

I'm almost positive that sharing clubs (or any club) is against the rules and results in a 2 shot penalty in stroke play or loss of hole in match play.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I don't let them try my clubs anytime unless I know them and they are good enough to hit them. As far as sharing on the course I never do it because it is a penalty in a tournament. It's a 2 stroke penalty up to 4 or 6 strokes or something like that. I called a kid on it in a tournament once because he used a guy's club who was left handed in the group and he was not happy with me.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

For someone not playing that seriously and putting down their handicap I don't see the problem with this. Many people play in 100-120 and just having fun. If they are able to share clubs without slowing down the play too much I'm okay with it.

The important thing is to play golf and perhaps score a par now and then. If you, according to the rules, should suffer a two stroke penalty, so what?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sharing clubs between partners is allowed under Rule 4-4b:

4-4. Maximum of 14 Clubs a. Selection and Addition of Clubs The player must not start a stipulated round with more than 14 clubs. He is limited to the clubs thus selected for that round, except that if he started with fewer than 14 clubs, he may add any number, provided his total number does not exceed 14.

The addition of a club or clubs must not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7) and the player must not add or borrow any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course.

b. Partners May Share Clubs

Partners may share clubs, provided that the total number of clubs carried by the Partners so sharing does not exceed 14.

Penalty For Breach Of Rule 4-4a or b, Regardless Of Number Of Excess Clubs Carried:
Match play - At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round: Two holes.
Stroke play - Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round: Four strokes.
Bogey and par competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1a.
Stableford competitions - See Note 1 to Rule 32-1b.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

It seems to me that it has always been an unwritten rule that when on the course, every person should have their own set of clubs.

This isn't just an unwritten rule - on a number of the courses I've played it is a written rule right on the scorecard.

Sharing clubs is not only allowed, but would greatly slow down play for everyone behind you. If you do not have clubs, can not borrow clubs or can not afford to rent clubs, don't play golf.

Don't really know why this got started. On the range, who cares. On the course, you are holding up play for no good reason, unless the course is empty, then who cares.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

i have an extra set of clubs lying around if a friend or relative wanted to hit some balls or play a round and didnt bring theirs...
as far as hitting my current set... i guess it would all depend on who wanted to try them out... but thats on the range only... i wouldnt play with someone that didnt have clubs...
im really sketchy about my woods... specially the driver...
my brother let a friend try out his driver and he put a dent on the side of it
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I do this with my regular parnter. We each have our own full set, but we pull from each other's bag if we need to or want to give something a try. We'll use each other's drivers/woods off the tee and stuff. We're both welcome to w/e, but we both prefer our own clubs for the most part.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Don't really know why this got started. On the range, who cares. On the course, you are holding up play for no good reason, unless the course is empty, then who cares.

well i started this thread because all last year a good friend of mine would tag along with me to the range every once in a while and use my clubs to hit since he doesnt have his own. for some unknown reason, he wouldnt go buy his own clubs and he had no desire to ever try to improve enough to be able to get out on the course with me. i refuse to even offer to take him on a course because even after a year of going to the range with me he still has no concept of how far he hits each club and he is unbelievable inconsistent...not to mention any club past a 7 iron he has the potential to slice 50+ yds on any given swing.

now that this season has rolled around up here in michigan, he wants to start going to the range with me again (since ive already started). im trying to get him to go out and buy himself a set of beginner clubs, especially since i just went out and bought myself new clubs too. just wondering if anyone else felt the same way i do about sharing clubs. its ok on the range as long as the person isnt going to hack away with them, and my friend basically does.....and i would never bring a person out on the course with me unless they have their own set of clubs.
In my Datrek Cart Bag (soon to be replaced):

Driver: Lynx 2008 Predator Ti (10.5*, Regular Flex)
Woods: Walter Hagen AWS (3 Wood)
Hybrids: Walter Hagen MS2 Hybrids w/ graphite shafts (18*, 22*)Irons: Walter Hagen MS2 Irons w/ graphite shaftsWedges: 56* Taylor Made rac w/ steel shaft ; 52* Slazenger...

I have never done it but i don't think it would slow down play that much if it was a two-some sharing one set, as long as they had a cart. The only problem would be putting but i have an extra putter so that solves that problem.

As far as leting friends use my clubs i am ok with it. I am now a beleiver in hybrids so whenever i play with someone who has never hit one i always tell them to hive my 4h a try from the fairway with shag ball. I did that yesterday with a friend who is really good (used to play off a 4 hc). He hit it then asked me what club it was and how much it cost.

well i started this thread because all last year a good friend of mine would tag along with me to the range every once in a while and use my clubs to hit since he doesnt have his own. for some unknown reason, he wouldnt go buy his own clubs and he had no desire to ever try to improve enough to be able to get out on the course with me. i refuse to even offer to take him on a course because even after a year of going to the range with me he still has no concept of how far he hits each club and he is unbelievable inconsistent...not to mention any club past a 7 iron he has the potential to slice 50+ yds on any given swing.

i have a friend exactly like that... he refuses to buy his own clubs but loves going to the range with me to hit balls... i let him sling my old set... ive actually got him out on the course a few times borrowing my old set... i think he's on the fence about picking up the sport so i encourage him all i can... if the bug hits him... he'll eventually get his own gear or "buy" my old set... so far the only thing he's gotten gear wise has been balls... ive even given him old gloves to use... i think its cool getting other ppl to enjoy what i love and seeing their faces when they hit a decent shot

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

First, you started this thread insisting we discuss opinions about sharing clubs ON THE COURSE or the range, not just on the range.

Second, now we know the real reason for starting it, you should have laid this out in the original post. Third, this is just a silly "call Dr. Laura" issue between you and your friend, so I think you girls can work this out. Fourth, it's on the range -- nobody cares whether anyone shares clubs, there obviously no rules about it and if the real issue is you don't like to share on the range because you don't like the way someone hits your clubs, don't let that person touch your clubs. A lot of time wasted on this when you don't give the whole story to start with.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

Borrow someone elses. I'm the only person who hits my clubs.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Note: This thread is 3711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!