IGNORED

Quitting Smoking

neudi
Note: This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just started quitting with NicoDerm CQ and man do these patches make me feel weird. They make me nautious and always give me a constant buzz. Has anyone else quit with these? What should I expect?
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoked for 15+ years....quit w/o the patches.....but ate a ton of Snickers bars.

Chantix is getting raves from the guys I know who have recently used it to stop smoking.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

This is how I quit. It may look goofy, but it works.

http://www.ecigarettesusa.com/

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

2 days with no smoking although I did vomit this morning when I had the patch on for about 30 minutes, but felt better after that.
What's In The Bag?

Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

I've been using Nicorette gum for about 7 years (It's a 6 week program). During my annual physical I told my doctor that I was going to start smoking so I could quit the gum.

Stay strong! I have a lot of respect for people who kick the habit! Keep it up!
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I used the Nicotrol inhaler. Its a little pricey (200 for 168 cartridges) and I only used about half the cartridges it comes with. But they work real well once you get used to how it feels. You dont have a constant buzz, and you only use it whenever you would normally smoke a cig (or like me for the first two weeks, almost at every minute during the day). I still carry it around in case I get an urge but, it works like a charm. I even started playing hockey again thanks to the extra wind I have!

In the bag:

Burner 460 Ti Driver 10.5°, Stiff shaft
Burner Steel 3 wood, Stiff Shaft
Burner Steel 5 wood, Stiff Shaft Burner Rescue 3, Stiff Shaft Tour Burner Irons 4-PW Z TP 52° Wedge Z TP 56° Wedge White Hot 2-ball

I quit after a year and a half by using all my cigarette money for range balls. lol.

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

This is how I quit. It may look goofy, but it works.

didn't you feel a little like a tool using those in public?

Personally, I've never really understood why it's so hard for people to quit, but then again... I've never smoked more than a handful of times and the occaisional cigar. What really amazes me is the number of people I see that are under 40 and smoke... if you're under 40, there's really no excuse for why you would start smoking in the first place.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

thank you for that. lol

i never really thought too much about it. i always got looks and people always asked me to put it out. lol. but after using it for a month or so I quit and never looked back. it's been 4 months now.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

The thing that got me was that I subliminaly associated cigarettes with certain social activities: at work there were a few of us who'd smoke while breaking in between meetings, on the golf course, going out at night, parties, etc.

I had to learn to disassociate smoking from these functions and friends that smoked. It was hard to do for a while, though....I'd not smoke at home...but then fall into back into when others would smoke. Like the line from The Sopranos / The Godfather, "Just when I taught I was out.....dey pulled me right back in". It is a shame to see the young folks do it....you can look over and see them puffing away....and then you think about older friends that you have that are going through the hell of cancer. It's hard to deal with. The other thing that drives me nuts is to see adults smoking in their automobiles with childeren in the there, too. You just want to drag 'em out and shake some sense into them....subjecting kids to that mess....knowing how dangerous it is.... I used to play a good deal of golf with my grandfather, my dad's father. We buried him a few years back....lung cancer robbed him of his retirement and relaxation. Growing up, my father smoked but then quit and lectured me about it...I could never really hear him though...the images of him happily puffing away were too strong. My son never saw me smoke....and never will. I quit years back. I hope that my lectures will have validity with him.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Wtg to those who quit!

After 15 years of chewing skoal I quit 3 months ago by just cutting back for a couple weeks then stopping cold turkey. I had tried the gum and some generic Chantrix a year ago but they didnt work for me.

I tell ya. 3 months later and I am just now feeling normal. I put on about 15 pounds also.

Congrats again to those quitters.

Golf is the cruelest game, because eventually it will drag you out in front of the whole school, take your lunch money and slap you around. ~Rick Reilly, "Master Strokes," Sports Illustrated

thank you for that. lol

I guess if it worked.... that's the important part.... just make sure it sticks!

The other thing that drives me nuts is to see adults smoking in their automobiles with childeren in the there, too. You just want to drag 'em out and shake some sense into them....subjecting kids to that mess....knowing how dangerous it is....

yeah... parenting 101... don't intentionally harm your children. If filling a car with 2nd hand smoke isn't child abuse, then I don't know what is.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I've been on Nicorette for a little over a year now. It certainly helps but for me its really hard to replace the feel of a cigarette. Another thing I did initially to help fight the oral fixation part is to carry around a bunch of coffee stir straws to chew on. I've never tried the patch because of exactly what the OP said.

I'll admit - I do lapse from time to time when I go out drinking with the friends or when I'm playing golf.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

The reason I am trying the patch is because I have tried cold turkey 4 times and it is very very difficult. I know some people think being addicted to the patch is bad, but it is much worse to smoke. With the patch you are not getting the hundreds of toxins that kill your lungs. This will help my lungs heal quicker and I will be able to slowly step down from nicotine. I have already done 2 things that I associate smoking with, with no relapse, drinking and working. This was probably the hardest things to do and I had no real urge to smoke. Only problem is that I do feel nausious from time to time, but it goes away pretty quickly. Thanks for all of your stories and encouragement, I'll keep you updated.

2 DAYS SMOKE FREE AND COUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What's In The Bag?

Hey neudi keep it up.... right now your my hero. I just started Chantix so hopefully I can follow your lead
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

This thread made me fire up my "quitmeter"

I have been quit for Six Years, Eight Months, Eleven Days, 17 Hours and 45 Minutes, by not smoking 97870 cigarettes that would have cost me $20,325.88.

That money saved is based on $3.75 a pack.

I used the patch, it worked great, I just used it for about three weeks. I smoked ALOT for 30 years. Best thing I ever did was quit.

Note: This thread is 3658 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!