IGNORED

On casual rounds do you "caddy" for your partner?

Iowa Hawkeye
Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do this with my buddy I usually play with. We will discuss shot distances and club selection, where to hit, etc. That is as long as we don't have someone waiting. But the course is usually pretty empty at the times we play.

Please don't jump on about rules because I do follow 99% of them. We don't play to establish an official handicap or anything. Just for fun and to try to get better.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Yea, we usally ask what the other thinks. Stuff like how long it might play, what club did you hit, that sort of stuff. Especially if one guy had played the course more than the others. I have a rangefinder so I will tell everyone the yardage on the par 3's, and if I am available I will get them a yardage for an approach shot if they need it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

It depends on who I'm playing with. My kids want to discuss stuff some of the time and we do and I discuss what I'm doing with them. If they want to just play their ball and work on doing things on their own, even better. Just depends on the day.

Most of the guys I play with discuss yardages freely, it's legal and speeds up play. Club selection not so much. We all know what we're hitting on tees, but don't really discuss advice on club selection. Not because of violating any rules, but that's just getting more into swings, etc. and just don't feel comfortable wanting someone else to think I know what he should hit or how. There are some friends whose games I know well and vice versa, so there's more club/shot discussion going on there. Again, just depends on who I'm playing with.

Pretty loose on the "advice" rules, I guess, but other than that when it comes to counting strokes and appropriately taking penalties, we count 'em all.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

I never offer advice, but will give it if my playing partners ask. I do carry GPS and they don't so I'm giving them yardages when they ask anyway and will help them with advice when they ask. I never ask for advice, though.

When you're playing with friends or family I don't see a problem with giving occasional advice. I know the rules so it's a violation, but it just friendly advice. I am the only one of my regular partners who maintains an official handicap anyway, so it doesn't matter for them.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

My normal foursome is all family so we normally discuss what we're hitting on par 3's, or sometimes what the other thinks for certain shots. It's just casual rounds.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

Oh yeah if I'm playing a casual round I'll help them out if they ask no problem.

Sumo 5000 UST V2 S
906F2. UST X. 13*
Sumo2 hybrid 2. X flex. 17*
X Forged. Project X 5.5:
RAC 50* Vokey 54* and 58* Cherry bomb Newport 2 35" One Black

I do this with my buddy I usually play with. We will discuss shot distances and club selection, where to hit, etc. That is as long as we don't have someone waiting. But the course is usually pretty empty at the times we play.

Nope. I play by ALL of the rules at all times. For me there is no exception to this. Just like I wouldn't share clubs (per your other thread), I won't trade advice before a stroke. All of my rounds are reported for handicap.

Afterward, I'll analyze it all you want, but not before.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will always give advice, and I will often take advice. Generally I'm good with club selection and distances, unless its a new course for me, so I don't ask for that advice.

Mostly I ask for help putting, because I'm not so solid on alignment or reads.

I will also say that I will rake a bunker for someone if I'm in or next to the hole already. Helps him have more time to take his next shot, and speeds up the group's play. Thats another great way to "caddy" for eachother...
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Oh of course. I will always converse with my partner on distances and other factors like wind, humidity, if he/ I should go for the green or not, playable lies, what to do out of a bunker (if there is no lip I like to catch the ball really clean and have it roll, or sometimes go as far as to putt it out :}. a little style never hurt). We talk all the time when we play, and I think it gives me a better understanding of what to do if I was in a tournament. It helps me make better decisions.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Nope. I play by ALL of the rules at all times. For me there is no exception to this. Just like I wouldn't share clubs (per your other thread), I won't trade advice before a stroke. All of my rounds are reported for handicap.

Take it easy. I know the rules of golf well, but I don't see the need to follow this one rule when I'm just playing for fun or practice. Us youngins have no respect for anything, I guess.

It's not like I shave strokes or replay shots. It doesn't hurt anyone if we talk about shots or pull a wedge from each others bag a few times a round. If you don't like it, then don't do it. Its not gonna stop me, or what seems like 80% of the rest of this board from trying to play better.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Take it easy. I know the rules of golf well, but I don't see the need to follow this one rule when I'm just playing for fun or practice. Us youngins have no respect for anything, I guess.

You need to take it easy. If I was getting on your case you'd know it. You asked if I do it, I said no...all I said was how I play it. I did nothing to attack your position, only to state my own. You do whatever you like, but don't bother telling me how well YOU played, because it wasn't just you, it was a team effort. Now that's getting on your case.... I told you you'd recognize it when it happened.

If he was truly my partner or a member of my side in a match and not my fellow competitor (stroke play) or my opponent (match play), then yes, I'll give advice if I have some to offer, and I'll listen to advice from him because then it's legal for me to to do so. I will also assist any player on points of information (yardage, rules procedures, etc.), or rake a bunker, help search for a ball, etc. That's just common courtesy. I never get why some of you get so upset when someone else feels that the rules were written to play by, so we choose to play by them. It's not like that means we can't have fun or be sociable at the same time. I've been told that I'm quite a pleasant fellow to play with.... and I'm always willing to buy a round after we finish.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yep...usually....but only when asked.

My main golf buddy is a much better golfer than I....so I usually keep my mouth shut and watch him apply his strategy to the course.

I'll sometimes ask his opinion on putts and we generally share yardages within most groups I play in.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I play with all levels of player. If someone is learning the game and asked for my advice I will give it. It's a casual round of golf and not doing so is rude in my opinion. It is in no way giving you any sort of advantage at all.

If I play with better players, no one gives any advice. We all know the game and what we need to do to score. Ridicule, yes, help no :)

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

I'll offer help when asked, but I never force my input on anyone.

One of my friends seems to suffer from Dissociative Identity Disorder, and his other personality is Steve Williams. It really infuriates me. He tries to tell me which way to work the ball on every shot, which club to hit, he tries to read all of my putts, and I'd be fine with this if he were actually helpful, but more often than not his advice is God awful.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Only if they ask.

The course i play the most has an odd attraction to out of towners (there are sighns all over the city for how to get there) and, honestly, high handicappers. So alot of time people ask, oh wheres good to be on this hole? where are the slopes on the green? etc etc. None of these i feel bad about telling them, because it makes the round more enjoyable for everyone.

Let me ask you this then, at one time during a tournament this year and on one par 3 i hit an iron and everyone else hit a FW. a guy in my group asks me, "what did you hit there?" Is this a penalty on him?

Also at one point, a guy was looking at my irons because he was going to reshaft with the shafts i had.. so he had one out swinging it about, was that illegal as well? this was also in a tourny.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Let me ask you this then, at one time during a tournament this year and on one par 3 i hit an iron and everyone else hit a FW. a guy in my group asks me, "what did you hit there?" Is this a penalty on him?

I believe it is against the rules since that is interpreted as asking for advice. He could have looked at what club you hit and still been within the rules.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

Note: This thread is 4300 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!