IGNORED

how do "you" define high, low, mid handicap golfers?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Some things I've read seem to indicate; low 1-10, mid 11-20, high 28+.
bag
driver sumo2
3wood dymo2
putter Z
wedge 56* SGS, 60* SGS irons 3-GW, UT1000 invector blades, dyna gold s300, karakal gripsâGolf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is...

I would define a low handicapper as someone who would expect or could be expected to play par golf on a reasonable course in reasonable conditions. Where I come from, a 2 handicapper EXPECTS to play par golf. Doesn't mean he always will ( obviously), but he'd probbaly play par or better once every five or six rounds. One 2 marker I know played a good local course in 4 under last Thursday in competition. 2 over on the front 9 and 6 under on the back.
I do not consider an 8 marker a low handicapper. But relatively speaking, an 8 marker is a lot lower than most, as is a 12. Thing is, the 2 marker is a hell of a lot better. Until we change to your handicapping system (soon) some of our 4 markers would be what you call scratch players and some of your 4 markers, from what I can see, rarely break 80. We are starting to think that your system is probaly a better indication of potential. Having said that - and this may sound harsh - if a player turned up here with an 8 handicap, using your system I would not be expecting him to be expecting to break 80. Here, I would. So....my point is also, that it depends on what part of the world you're talking about, because handicaps mean different things in different places, but that is changing.
And..to continue my rambling....if an Australian with a genuine 3 handicap turned up to play with you, you might be shocked at how good he was, because he would be a player who shoots under par many times a year on good courses.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

low handicapper - Hits the green in regulation and has great short game
mid handicapper - Hits the green in regulation most of the time, ok short game
high handicapper - Hits the odd green in regulation, gets few up and downs

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

The average men's USGA handicap is 16.1. So for those that actually maintain a handicap, I'd say low would be less than 12. Mid would be 12-20. High would be 21+.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I think there are 5 approximate levels - based more on general scoring on any given day than inex.

Scratch - self explanatory
Low - up to 8
Mid- 8-12
mid-high 12-22
High >24

This is based on people I've played against. If it's a calm day, you're playing an easy track, and you still struggle to break 100, you're a high handicap.

If the weather is nasty, the course is tough, and you still break 82, you're probably a low handicap.

If your low handicap buddies are grinding for 80s and you post a 74, you're probably scratch(ish)

Most of us fall in there somewhere.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 9 months later...

Ide have to agree with the most people's view of mid, low and high handicaps, but as for what makes a good golfer? For me it's someone who keeps up with the group in front, repairs pitch marks and divots and just gets a move on! I reckon everyone could knock shots off if they just up'd the tempo a bit!

I guess this is an interesting question as it solicited so many comments and I didn't have an answer myself.  So I looked up the statistics on USGA  site ( http://www.usga.org/Content.aspx?id=25505 ).  If you accepted the data as representative of all golfer you would conclude that somewhere around 12 is the mean handicap (average).  But unfortunately these data only include golfers that keep USGA handicaps, and IMO that isn't most golfers.  So I still don't have supportable answer but I think anyone that breaks 80 consistently is a low handicap golfer.  In the groups I play with most of the players break 90 most of the time so I guess anyone that plays between 80-90 is a mid handicap golfer.  That leaves the folks that consistently score over 90 as high handicap players in my estimation.  But I don't have any data to support such a conclusion.

I got to thinking about this and it would be interesting to see the statistics  of members' handicaps of this forum and how that compares with the USGA handicap statistics.

Butch

Below are the facts from the National Golf Foundation....

How do golfers score on an 18-hole regulation golf course?

• Nearly half shoot 100 or more, and only about one in four can break 90 consistently:
    Average score Percent of
    adult golfers
    Under 80 5%
    80-89 21%
    90-99 29%
    100-109 24%
    110-119 10%
    120+ 11%
    Total 100%

As a few have said I consider 20+ High, 10-20 Mid and Single digits or better low.

As for what consistutes a good golfer, its someone who keeps the pace of play, knows basic ettiquite, can laugh at them selves and others on the course and doesn't take themselves or the game too seriously....

If your talking scoring, from the many rounds I've played with strangers, any one who plays bogey golf or better is "good" in my book, I'd estimate 70% of the people I've played with don't break 100....

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

Originally Posted by noefi13b

As a few have said I consider 20+ High, 10-20 Mid and Single digits or better low.

As for what consistutes a good golfer, its someone who keeps the pace of play, knows basic ettiquite, can laugh at them selves and others on the course and doesn't take themselves or the game too seriously....

If your talking scoring, from the many rounds I've played with strangers, any one who plays bogey golf or better is "good" in my book, I'd estimate 70% of the people I've played with don't break 100....

I know, golfers in Iowa must suck... According to some of the guidelines in this thread I have never seen or played with a good golfer, ever! I play everyday, and I have golf membership but I have only seen two people shoot in the 70's ever!

So I'd say:

high handicap: 30-36 (btw I'm surprised that's the cutoff, judging from my mens league scores that number should go up to at least 50) we have plenty of guys that average around triple bogey or worse!

mid handicap: 15-30
low handicap : 0 -15

And a good golfer is anyone that can break 90 on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by Williamevanl

Quote:

I agree.  A golfer who can shot low 80's on a consistent basis is good in my books.  Even more so if that person has a young family.

Anything less than 80 is "really" good and obviously, scratch is "club pro."

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.  I've played with so many golfers who are TERRIBLE and the ones I've played with who are decent in comparison, shoot low 90s.  Out of the 12+ people I play with, only two of them shoot under 90 I would say 5-10 times.  So IMO, a golfer who can shot low 80's on a consistent basis is good in my books.  Even more so if that person has a young family.

Anything less than 80 is "really" good and obviously, scratch is "club pro."

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I know, golfers in Iowa must suck . . .low handicap : 0 -15

A low handicap is someone who doesn't need strokes against another low handicapper. The day I'd play head to head with a 0 without strokes is the day I go home with an empty wallet.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Scary Good - Repeatable swing with predictable shot shape. Can shape shots as needed. So consistent that course strategy is the major factor between scoring well. Bad luck is probably the biggest contributor to having a bad hole due to a funny bounce. Score is probably influenced the most by the putter - some days they just don't go in and he shoots even par, while some days everything goes in and shoots a 66. Index is +.

I wouldn't define myself as scary good, but I feel like a lot of this describes me, and many low cappers.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I played with a couple of guys today who ranged everywhere between the brackets you all have listed. One of them was a pretty decent golfer, probably a 6 index. On the 14th hole (I think, somewhere around there) he asks me "where I was at"? I wasn't really paying attention to my score because I had not made any birdies yet. I was striking it well and was hitting a lot of greens. I said I was 1 over and he just looked at me. He said man if you would have made half of those birdie putts I would be low and I said I know. To me that is what a low handicap is... When a 6 is looking at how you are hitting the ball!

• 2 years later...

Your handicap is not a simple plus or minus to par. You have to take into account the slope and rating of the courses you play. If you play a course with a high degree of difficulty the slope and rating will lower you handicap even with scores that exceed what you normally shoot. example...I play on a course with a slope and rating of 145 and 74.3. I have a course handicap of 6.3 and shoot in the high 70's most of the time. I play in an 18 hole league with a slope and rating of 132 and 69 and I can shoot in the low to mid 70's most all of the time. My league handicap is a 2.5.

Note: This thread is 2927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!