IGNORED

Is it even possible to play well without distance?

Baraethon
Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As per the title of the thread: Yes.

I don't know about shooting 80's. but shooting 90's is totally possible with weak distances. If it helps think of it this way.... since you CANT reach in two... add a stroke to every real par. So when you play, your goal is to bogey every hole. Remember that if you bogey every hole you're right at 90.

I played once with an 87 year old man that hit drivers and woods on practically every shot. He scored well.

HINT: If your distance is your biggest weakness, turn your short game into your biggest strength to make up for it.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

4.Bring the shaft back parallel to the ground with the clubface still completely parallel to the ball. (Note*At the top of the backswing your left arm should be completely stiff with a 90 degree bend in the wrists to create lag on the downswing.)

I basically agree with Neco. You want a full shoulder turn and you need to make sure you set your wrists relatively early in order to maintain a proper angle throughout your downswing. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying 'completely stiff'. You still need to be comfortable and be loose. Its the right idea, but i think a better thought is keeping it relatively straight. 'Completely stiff' brings to mind rigidity and .....stiffness. You still want to remain athletic with your swing. In terms of the gym and all of that....it isn't necessarily too early to start lifting weights. However, its imperative that you talk it over with your doctor, and it is basically a must that you are constantly monitored by a professional (i.e an accredited trainer). Advice from a buddy or just picking up a routine that you've researched online isn't enough. At your age, it is very very easy to get hurt. It doesn't matter if your friends or teammates are whatever are going at it alone, again...you can create damage before you even realize what has happened and get seriously injured. And as others have stated, this is a perfect time to practice your short game. Amateurs frequently spend relatively too much time working on their long games anyways. You'll eventually likely get bigger and stronger and hit the ball further. For now, keep it in the fairway and work on your game from 50 yards and in.

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

Have you tried hitting with a whippier shaft? Are you using regular now? Can you demo a driver with, say, a senior flex shaft? If you are using stiff, well, for sure go to regular. Also, your driver is 11* loft - you might want to try something with a little more loft. Just to try, mind you. I don't know your SS or your normal trajectory but with those distances you maybe get a little more if the shaft and driver loft and working with you.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

14. About 5-1, maybe 5-2. Weigh around 95-100 pounds (really small for my age.)

Whoa, whoa and whoa!

If you're 14 (just 14 or nearer 15?) and on the small side, I think we're getting WAY ahead of things here. I know it might be tough thinking you don't hit it very far but (and trust me on this) you're 14. What you need to concentrate on at the moment is sound fundamentals which will generate a crisp ball strike; the distance will come as you age, get stronger (which'll happen naturally) and because you hit the ball properly. Out of interest, how is your ball-striking? Do you know where on the club face you make contact? If you're not making contact at, or near, the sweet-spot, then you need to start doing so ; distance will never come properly if you cannot strike the ball well. Put some impact tape on your 5-iron, hit some balls and see where the majority are coming from. Are your clubs adult lengths or junior? What about the shaft weights? You may want to look at lighter shafts (== quicker head speed). Why do you carry a driver??????? I don't think I had a driver until I was 16; all I used was a 4-wood from the tee and the deck. A more lofted wood will give you more elevation from the tee and probably more carry. You say "3 wd: dunno, never really hit this".....why not????? Doesn't sound that macho not carrying a driver does it? There's a famous maxim though which says "It's not how, but how many" and a big ego which doesn't appreciate what the player is actually capable of at any given time has been the downfall of even the best at some time.
Yes, it is possible to play well, really well, while being distance challenged. I played a couple of months ago with a guy who is 83 years old and he kicked my butt all over the course. He had a set of old cavity backs and metals that were at least 10 years old and was probably lucky to get 160 yards off the tee.

This is SO right. Pity it takes most people 60-odd years to work this one out. I've been playing for ~30 years and I think it's just beginning to sink in

Don't worry, guys, Tadd Fujikawa shot a 63 I think one round in the Sony Open earlier this year, and he's 5'1", 135 lbs. He averages like 290 yards off the tee and that's on PGA Tour courses where you have to really swing at 80% to keep it in the fairway.

Cptn. Obvious is right. It's not about big muscles (forget the gym!); golf has never been about that. If you play other sports (soccer, rugby, running, whatever) then you'll be in fine shape to hit the ball a long enough distance in time. If you must go to the gym, remember your flexibility - it's more important than looking good on the beach.

Have you tried hitting with a whippier shaft? Are you using regular now? Can you demo a driver with, say, a senior flex shaft? If you are using stiff, well, for sure go to regular. Also, your driver is 11* loft - you might want to try something with a little more loft. Just to try, mind you. I don't know your SS or your normal trajectory but with those distances you maybe get a little more if the shaft and driver loft and working with you.

The shaft point is a good one as is the driver loft - if you insist on using one!

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No need to lift weights here. Golf is not about power, it's about technique. I suggest you seek a pro and have him give you some ideas. You are definately releasing early, such short distances is impossible with a late release. I also suspect you try to lift the ball into the air. Until you hit some good shots it's impossible to know how that should feel.

A pro should be able to sort out that issue pretty quick. If you don't have anyone around you could try to film your swing and post it here.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Taking a shot in the dark, but your clubs may just be too stiff for you? I'm not sure if anyone said this, but if you arent swinging fast enough for a stiff shaft, but youre using them it will bring down your distance.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I wouldn't worry too much about whatever tournaments you're playing in. Just see what happens. Just work on hitting fairways and getting your second shot as close as you can then go from there. 150 yard drive is tough, 150 yard drive in the woods is tougher. At your age you'll be hitting the ball 10-15 yards further next year and you'll have all new strengths and weaknesses to worry about so for now just keep it in the short grass. Hit the gym and eat some red meat if you want don't go nuts though. Time on the range and practice green will be better spent at your age. My game at 14 is nothing liek my game at 16 I probably dropped 10 handicapr strokes in that time.

Driver: 905r 10.5
3 - Wood: 15degree
hybrid: heavenwood 20 degree
Irons: MP - 32 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey 54 and 60Putter: Anser 2 Belly

14. About 5-1, maybe 5-2. Weigh around 95-100 pounds (really small for my age.)

Don't worry about it...age-wise, you're perfect for starting golf.

Height-wise I wouldn't worry either: Ian Woosnam was 5'4" fully grown and he used to hit it a ton .
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

one quick way for higher handicaps to get distance imo is to make sure you turn against a solid lower body. You might just be turning everything, legs included, and getting no torque whatsoever. This wont help a ton as you get better imo, but starting out it should add some distance.

My guess is your distance problem has more to do with swing mechanics (weight transfer for example) than it does to do with your size. Last season I played a few times with a 14 yr old at my home course. He was about your size and pretty immature for his age. His voice hadn't changed yet if that tells you anything. Anyway, at the beginning of the season he hit the ball pretty well but very short. He was working really hard to get on the golf team at school and as the season wore on his progress was unbelievable. The last time I played with him was late August and he was really hitting it long. I know he was driving the ball 200. He was the only kid in our foursome and he kept up with us grownups just fine. The main difference I noticed was his swing was very smooth and he had a real nice shoulder turn back and through the ball and wound up with a nice finish with all his weight on a firm left leg. Beautiful swing compared to what it was in early spring and, distance wise, there was no comparison.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!