IGNORED

2009 Golf Digest 100 Greatest Courses

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2009 list is out and Augusta National Golf Club is rated #1.

Personally, I think this is nothing more than GD kissing up to Augusta. Again, just my opinion and not backed up by anything more.

What are your thoughts? Good, bad, who cares? Discuss.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The

I personally like the "Top 100 You Can Play" rather than the Top 100.

Although, who are you to judge, not like that 18 handicap has played Augusta before.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Being a Texan, I always have problems with the Top 100--they tend to completely ignore the entire state or vote maybe Colonial or Dallas National in (depending on the year)
There is a conspiracy at work (same conspiracy that ensures that the Steelers get every call go their way in every superbowl and get questionable HoFmrs into Canton) PS, I am not a Cowboys fan (due to constant Jerry Jones beat downs), so the previous statement is relatively unbias.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

fishers island looks incredible

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

Well to be honest with you I could not tell you what one hole on Pine Valley looks like and that had been #1 for years.Now Augusta is different we all know at least Amen corner so yeah I like the change.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I agree with you on that list. Much better list.

Although, who are you to judge, not like that 18 handicap has played Augusta before.

Who are you to judge my handicap?

And I was offering an opinion and making an observation which is different from "judging."
Well to be honest with you I could not tell you what one hole on Pine Valley looks like and that had been #1 for years.Now Augusta is different we all know at least Amen corner so yeah I like the change.

Pine Valley has been #1 for the almost the entire 25 year history of GD ranking courses. Nothing wrong with Augusta being #1 as it is a great course, I'm just not sure it warrants jumping from #3 to #1 with them subtly "reworking" some of the changes made in the past 10 years. There is no doubt it's reputation has taken a beating over the changes by past champions, current players, golf course architects and fans. Does that make it #1? Who knows.

Alan Olson

I don't put much stock in these lists... and I'm sure it would be a treat to play any course on it be it #9 or #99.

I agree that I pay much more attention to the 100 you can play list... and I've even played several courses on this list.

Also... if someone asked me what course in the entire world I would most like to play... it would be Augusta. Why, because I may never get that chance, but I'm sure I'll play many of the other greats such as Pebble, St. Andrews, Pinehurst, etc.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I have the 'who cares' school of thought. It is nice to see the rankings, but it would only be a pipedream for me to play most of them. I can't even get on at some of the best courses in my area, much less across the country. I do like being able to see the ranking of the courses for some of the pro tournaments.

Some of you guys are lucky in that some of the public courses are in reach for you. We have some nice courses, but not on this scale. I would be much more interested in a state-by-state ranking (someone used to do that?). That way I could know what the best courses I can actully drive to would be.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Some of you guys are lucky in that some of the public courses are in reach for you. We have some nice courses, but not on this scale. I would be much more interested in a state-by-state ranking (someone used to do that?). That way I could know what the best courses I can actully drive to would be.

Someone still does do that.

Alan Olson

Pine Valley is shorter and harder to score on -- it is a very demanding, shot-maker's course. Greens are very quick with lots of contour. The heather, forrest, and sandy conditions penalize bad shots more than any place I know. There is treachery lurking on every shot. It is the only place where, standing over a putt, the thought enters your mind that, "if this does not go in, I will not be able to find my ball for the next shot," or if you do find it, it could take several shots to get the ball back on the green.

Augusta National is unparalleled for perfection and when the greens are hard and running above 13 (generally all the time) putting can be super challenging. At 14+, the greens are sheer terror. It is a lot more hilly than one would think unless you have played it. With the added length now, it is a very tough track with unforgettable greens. Recovery shots are more possible at Augusta. Pine needles are sometimes not that difficult of lie.

Three putting and putting a ball off the green is not that uncommon at either place. Without a local caddie, I don't think many amatuers could play either place within 10 of their handicap. Actually just breathing normally is a challenge at both places.

I would rank Pine Valley as the hardest course, and Augusta National as the best all around course. Which one is ranked one or two overall is a matter of taste, but I'm confortable with this year's ranking and agree with it, if for no other reason than there is no place on earth for golfers like Augusta National -- personal opinion.

N.B: The packet Golf Digest came in also had a small booklet which does have the best courses listed state by state. I had some disagreement with the courses listed for some states, but what do I know... courses change year to year.

RC

Most of those lists are worthless. How many of us common folk are ever going to get to set foot on any of the private courses ? Yes there are public courses within their booklet, I have looked at it.

How many of us are ever going to see Augusta, Chicago GC, Shinnecock Hills, ect.
Here's a list of courses you can't play and never will.

I'd like have a complete section on this site where members could post and discuss their favorite courses, sorted by state or price, whatever.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

N.B: The packet Golf Digest came in also had a small booklet which does have the best courses listed state by state.

Thanks to both for informing me of that. I figured it was out there somewhere.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I walked Augusta National a number of years ago and thought it was a nice course with a few really, really nice holes. Personally, I think that the top few courses are just the mystique of the course more than anything else... not that I would complain if they were my home courses.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

Played Spyglass which was great. Also played #98 Grandfather in N.C. Both were spectacular. I find the lists very interesting just in terms of what is out there in this world.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I went to the Masters in 07 and I can totally see why it is ranked #1. If you haven't been there up close in person it is 100x better than any HDTV. The atmosphere and the stage should put Augusta over the top, and its the only major on the same course each year so that shows how special of a place it is to the golfing world.

I like how on all the other courses Golf Digest says the city and state but for #4 Cypress Point and #6 Pebble Beach Golf Digest just says Pebble Beach. I guess Golf Digest is saying that this is golf heaven. http://www.golfdigest.com/rankings/c...estgolfcourses

R9 with 757 Speeder
mp 57 3-pw project x 6.0 flighted
Vokey* 56* 60*
Monza Corsa Putter

I agree about the "Top 100 You Can Play" list....more meaningful to me.

I've heard from guys who caddie part-time at Augusta National GC about looping for hacks quite often.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I have been fortunate to play 5 on the "America's 100 Greatest Public Courses" list. This means more to me than "America's 100 Greatest". They also have "Best in State" which includes private courses. What they need is "Best in State Public Courses". Then we can stand a chance of playing them. Lets hope someone from Golf Digest is reading this forum.

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!