IGNORED

Going off as a single

Carolinahooker
Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dumb question alert...

I have been playing golf for many years but I have always played with friends. I am now in a situation where I have to go to the course by myself or not play at all.

If I just show up at a course, will they wedge me in with another two-some or three-some? Should I call ahead of time? What is the protocol for something like this?

Any input would be much appreciated.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

I play as a single often and it's very easy, probably the easiest really.

The only time it won't work well are prime times such as weekend mornings or holidays because they will have a stack of foursomes. If you go out other than those times you will get on the course very quickly. Even during prime time you can get out it's just less likely.

I've made friends being paired up with random golfers and had some great experiences.

You'll have some rough ones too though, like the time I was paired with a woman that was playing from the men's tees on a pretty tough course. The starter knew her and said 'she's a great player', I shit you not she shot 120+. Didn't get past the Ladies tees on numerous drives. And she never once gave in, f'ing beyotch.

It never hurts to call ahead though.

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

When when I golf with my buddy we usually get paired up with two other singles or something to that affect. I guess a big factor is when and where you play though.

I am going to try to go off this Saturday so it will be prime time. I guess I should call the usual courses and see if they have some spots open or just show up and hope someone doesn't show.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver

I always go as a single unless my bro/dad are in town. Gotten so used to it that I've forgetten all about tee times. Haha....

I play munis though, and walk-ons are always welcome. Depending how busy depends when you go on. As a single they'll through you on with another single, double, or triple. Or if the box is open, you go stag.

It's been getting more crowded no doubt due to the golf season starting. I've started calling ahead just to make sure if they're busy. They never ask me to make a tee time as a single. Just say to come down.

By far the worst case was one wednesday morning I had to wait between 1-2 hours to get on. Just back to back to back to back foursomes forever. When I finally got on our party was a double with two singles.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

usually the smaller courses i play at it dont matter, but when ive played at more busy quality courses that are a lil more strict, they usually pair the singles up with someone

i played with a friend that works at this one course so we played for free
and they made us play with this other 2some that wanted to just play with the 2 of them so the whole time they were all pissy cause they didnt want to play with us

just hope you dont get paired with someone like that

r7 draw driver 9.5* stiff shaft
Big bertha 06 irons, 4-sw
56*vokey spin milled 10*bounce
Victoria ;)
tp black balls cart bagJack nicklaus Golden Bear 52* and 60* wedgesWalter hagen: 3 wood 5 wood 4 hybrid stiff shaft"I don't say my golf game is bad, but if I grew tomatoes they'd come up sliced."www...

A lot of courses around here don't even want singles to call ahead. They just want you to come down and get on.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I have played as a single numerous times. Depending on the course, most courses try to send foursomes out.

Most course do not take reservations for singles, so you are forced to show up to get into the queue. (With the economy slowing, single reservations are showing up on the websites) Most courses have a list of people waiting for an opening. So you could be paired with anyone.

I have noticed that very early even on weekend, there are openings. For instance, one of the courses has a men's club and women's club tee time at opening. Often there is a couple of slots between and after them. Lots of walkon can get in.

Mike Krolewski
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

I am in a similar situation and was wondering the exact same thing. Being pretty new to golf I have been worried about trying to go off as a single, or getting paired with someone or a group that may not "appreciate" getting stuck with a newbie - would be hard to enjoy yourself or the game if you constantly felt like you were a bother or imposing on these other people/groups (i would probably feel like not playing at all as well).

Carolinahooker - what course you going to play? I am in the Raleigh area as well - Curious to know how the courses around here handle that . Depending on when you want to or like to play, you may have found you a playing partner (if you don't mind playing with a hacker ). PM me if interested.

Burner - Driver
Burner - 3 wood
19 deg. & 22 deg. Rescue
Wrath 5-PW irons
CG14 52, 56, and 60 deg. wedges Rossa Daytona putter

I am in a similar situation and was wondering the exact same thing. Being pretty new to golf I have been worried about trying to go off as a single, or getting paired with someone or a group that may not "appreciate" getting stuck with a newbie - would be hard to enjoy yourself or the game if you constantly felt like you were a bother or imposing on these other people/groups (i would probably feel like not playing at all as well).

As to whether or not you play by yourself or get hooked up with a group is up to the starter. If I get sent out by myself I'll usually play 2 balls, unless I can't keep up the pace of play--pace of play is paramont, nothing seems to iritate me more than slow pace of play.

When I play with folks who aren't very good, I don't focus on their ability level as much as I do their atittude. If they have a good atittude towards the game I have no complaints and will offer suggestion(s), BUT only if I'm asked. One thing you don't want to continually say is, "I'm usually much better than this.....". Once or twice at the most is acceptable. Anyone who has golfed for any amount of time realizes this is just a flat lie, lol no pun intended. One time Jim Thorpe was doing "Lessons with the Pro's" on golf channel and he was asked what he thought the most important thing in golf was. His reply, and I've found this to be true and will pass it on, "the most important thing in golf is to be good company". Play well and be good company--you will meet many really good folks, lol and some not so good

I wouldn't want to go off as a single this weekend. Sooner or later you will catch up to the line of foursomes and that would be grueling.

Bigmick, will definitely drop you a line. I'm not Tiger Woods myself so playing level isn't a big deal. My current handicap will probably be going up not down.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver

I actually started off as a single on Tuesday, and due to course backups up ahead, got stacked at the 6th tee box while the twosome ahead of me waited to tee off. They invited me to join them and we had a great rest of the round. Always nice to meet new people. Well, that is, the ones that are a pleasure to play with. Haven't been unlucky yet.

My bag:

Bag: TaylorMade

Driver: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S)

3W: Taylormade Super Fast 2.0 (S),

Hy: 3 (18*) Rescue, Irons: 4-9, PW, AW TM Burner 2.0, Wedges: Rumar 56 and 60 degree, Putter: TM Ghost Blade

Ball: TM RBZ

Shoes: FootJoy DryJoys

pretty much every time I play I go out as a single. They'll usually pair me up with a threesome and make it a foursome or just have me go out alone sometimes. Or, they'll have me go with a twosome or pair me up with someone else who is walking. Its easy to go by yourself.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

A lot of courses around here don't even want singles to call ahead. They just want you to come down and get on.

I almost always call in case they have leagues blocked in for 2 hrs or some other event... but, they pretty much never take a tee time, they just let me know if it's busy and I'll be paired up, or say come on out.

I get off as a single all the time. Wait..... are we talking about golf?

Thing I like about being a single... it takes less time, only having to worry about yourself.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I like going off as a single. The way I look at it is I will either play with people that I've never played with before so there's no pressure and I can concentrate on my golf and maybe make a friendly bet or I'm gonna play by myself so I can relax and just focus on what I need to improve on. Usually if its slow and I'm playing by myself then I'll play 2 balls. This last wednesday I went out and got paired up with a three some of guys in their mid 40s. We made a small wager (winner gets reimbursed his green fees by the other three). I was relaxed and shot a 79 and the closest any of them came to me was an 84. Its always fun to go out there and play against new people.

Clubs:
Driver: Ping Rapture 10.5 degree, Stiff Flex shaft
Fairway Wood: Ping Rapture 17* - Stiff Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway Heaven Wood 20* Firm Flex
Irons: Titleist 704 CB (Forged) (4-PW), Dynamic Gold S300 ShaftsWedges: Titleist Vokey 52 and 58 degreePutter: Odessy White Hot XG Model #1Bag: Ping HooferBa...

Note: This thread is 5463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!