IGNORED

Putting and Lessons

DBake
Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone taken a lesson on putting?
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I'm also interested in this. It seems like putting is a very individual thing, what with all the hundreds of different styles of putter available and the different grips and strokes you can use, it seems to me like the sort of thing that could get messed up in a hurry if your teacher didn't know you well enough and got you trying to do things that don't suit your style.

Ive had a putting lesson, he helped me see things like, breaking my lefy wrist, and if my eyes were over the ball, i didn't take one until my putting went south.-Alan

I have and its helped me a ton. Before I took one my head wasnt over the ball and I had the ball to far back in my stance.

I would highly recommend you take a putting lesson after all if you drive the ball 400 yards but cant make a 3 footer scores wont turn out so well.

I'm thinking about doing this with the guy I go to. I'd like a little short game lesson (sand, pitches, etc.) with a bit of putting. He looked at my stroke and made a few recommendations (eyes over ball, my follow thru, etc.) but I'd like a little more in depth.

One of my friends got 2 1 hour lessons on just putting. It seems like it's worth it because as Kcas said, if you can't putt, nothing else really matters.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I have and its helped me a ton. Before I took one my head wasnt over the ball and I had the ball to far back in my stance.

example: 'mighty' Mike Austin. He holds the record for the longest drive ever recorded on a course;515 yards. He did it at the tender age of 64. The reason why you've probably never heard of him is the fact that he didn't win much, due to his inability to putt very well. (like happy gilmore) He drove it 60 yards past the 450 yard par 4, chipped on, and 3 putted for a bogey. Anyway, putting lessons help a whole lot. What I would try to work on the most is find a way to get that club face square at impact with the ball so you can hit it straight, and then work on reading putts. It doesn't necessarily matter how you hit it, just hit it right. Work on speed also, which comes along with tempo. If your tempo is slow back and accelerate through, or fast back and through, or whatever, work on what is comfortable. That is how you become comfortable with putting. Work on lag putting, as you won't always find yourself close to the hole. practice 40 footers and 4 footers. If you can get a 40 foot putt inside 4 feet, you have yourself an easy two-putt. most importantly, work on a routine. Find what works for you. If you plumb-bob the putter (holding it up in the air to line the shaft up with your line of hitting), or you take a couple practice strokes behind the ball to get the feel of the putt, then do it every time. If you build a routine, then you can always rely on it to get you out of a pressure situation you might be in. Good luck putting!

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Quick putting test for everyone. Go to your hardware store and get a chalk line and chalk. Find a COMPLETELY FLAT spot on a green, have someone help you make the chalk line. It should be about 8-10 feet. Make sure the line (if you have one) on the putter corresponds to the chalk line. Now putt a ball along the line, keeping your head down and NOT looking at where the ball stops for a few seconds post impacts. Putt about 5 like this and assess your tendencies. If all of them are on the line, you have a solid stroke.

Driver: G10 9*
3-wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: 909H 19*
Irons: 695MBs
Wedges: 56 & 52 64 spin milledPutters:Seemore FGP Spider

Note: This thread is 5489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!