IGNORED

Kenny Perry at the Masters

titaniummd
Note: This thread is 5482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He had such a great run. I was sad to see him not win it at the Masters, this week.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

That was a tough loss... Let's hope he can contend again in another major... Hats off to Cabrera, he stayed tough and made an unbelievable par on the first playoff hole

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

That was a tough loss... Let's hope he can contend again in another major... Hats off to Cabrera, he stayed tough and made an unbelievable par on the first playoff hole

Agreed. Cabrera had a great par putt after what he did for his tee shot and approach. Perry's chip on the first playoff hole was great also.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

Yeah, after the tee shot on 16 it looked like he had it... Tough to watch his family's reaction behind the green... Granted, there are a million worse things that are happening in the world to people, so in the infinite scheme of things it's not all bad...

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

Pretty sad. He had a chance to finish off his career in style, but will be remembered for this. He may have another shot at a major, but you would have to think this was his best shot.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Pretty sad. He had a chance to finish off his career in style, but will be remembered for this. He may have another shot at a major, but you would have to think this was his best shot.

not the way he's been playing recently! he has a good chance of challenging at later majors!

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Yeah, I think you're right... He'll be remembered at Augusta like Ed Sneed and Scott Hoch... I certainly hope he can win one because he seems like a good guy... But this was most likely his last shot

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

It was really sad Perry lost. I really wanted him to win. He's my favorite player on tour next to Tiger, and this one hurt me. Kenny's still my champion.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He's in contention almost every week...

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

He handled everything with such class. I mean Cabrera got one of the luckiest bounces off of that tree that you can get. But at the end of the day the reason Kenny lost was he shot 4 over on the last two holes of regulation and the two sudden death holes.

Now what do you think Sergio's comments would have been after the match? He would have focused on the lucky bounces of Cabrera and his unlucky bounces.

x18 S-4
Lob wedge
Hybore 3 wood
R7 Driver
Shark Head putter (love that old thing)

He handled everything with such class. I mean Cabrera got one of the luckiest bounces off of that tree that you can get. But at the end of the day the reason Kenny lost was he shot 4 over on the last two holes of regulation and the two sudden death holes.

EXACTLY. Kenny was a complete class act. He can hold his head high for that. Sergio simply cannot.

Unfortunately I doubt he will ever taste major success (I hope I am wrong.) While clearly he can compete with the younger guys physically. I fear that the nerves associated with becoming a first time major champion may be too much for a man of that age. Again, I hope I am wrong but I think it is true.

I recently heard an interesting comment from one of the media's talking heads about Perry. The analyst noted that KP was one of very few players who had given his reputation a complete overhaul late in his career -- he had gone from being "the guy who blew the PGA at Valhalla" to "the guy who helped the US win back the Ryder Cup."

Unfortunately, I'm afraid, Perry has once again rewritten the summary of his career: he's now "the guy who blew two majors." I hope this loss doesn't reduce his reputation -- after all, it's better to puke into 2nd than to amble into T34 -- but I bet his standing has been sullied once again. This is somewhat sad, for any high finish this week should serve only to further the case for Perry as a legitimate contender who kept up the good play into his late forties. I hope fans will remember Perry's remarkable play (not only this week, but also for the last year) while pondering his epic collapse.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

IMHO, Kenny wasn't playing aggressively.
I saw he hit perfect drives on middle of fairways few times on front 9, where he would go for flag, but he didn't (Looking back his last year's performance when he was on pursuit, he always went for pins). He played safe and hoped ball would dropped on putting which it did on 13th hole. The putt was lucky and so was 16th tee shot (although both of those were GREAT putt & shot).
I know I'm harsh on Kenny Perry but that's my impression on his 4th round game plan. The lesson I learn from this Masters was: 1. Do Not Give UP 2. Play with heart, not by head.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

3. do not hit a driver on 18 when there are bunkers in reach on the left and you always, always draw your drives.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

IMHO, Kenny wasn't playing aggressively.

Nor should he have been, as he was playing with the lead all day. Although he wanted to stretch his lead to an extent, trying to force a birdie or two at Augusta can quickly lead to bogey or worse. I thought he played steady, attacking-but-defensive (playing to safe spots, but being aggressive when the opportunity presented itself) golf all day. Consider his first eleven pars:

Hole 1: two-putt par from 20 feet (mud on ball on approach shot) Hole 2: two-putt par from 10 feet (had to lay up because of poor drive) Hole 3: two-putt par from 30 feet Hole 4: two-putt par from 25 feet Hole 5: two-putt par from 20 feet Hole 6: up-and-down par (poor iron) Hole 7: two-putt par from 5 feet (aggressive iron) Hole 8: two-putt par from 15 feet (went for green in two; had impossible 3rd) Hole 9: sand save for par (poor iron) Hole 10: two-putt par from 30 feet Hole 11: two-putt par from 15 feet (how did that putt stay out?) Although KP certainly played conservative golf, I wouldn't say he played defensively at all. He assured himself of a two-putt par in most situations while usually giving himself reasonable birdie opportunities. Looking back, it was probably the two par fives on the front nine (and the missed putt at 7) that he will regret the most from these first eleven holes.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

3. do not hit a driver on 18 when there are bunkers in reach on the left and you always, always draw your drives.

I agree completly all he had to do was put it in the fairway wich he would have done with a 3 wood the way he was hitting the ball all week and then even if he misses the green get up and down I know it's easier said than done but look at the way he did it when he did hit the fairway on the 1st playoff hole even though he hit driver maybe a longer club would have caused him to swing a little more aggresive. well who knows but it was ashame to watch him lose in that fashion I was pulling for him it would have been a great story.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

Note: This thread is 5482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!