IGNORED

Kenny Perry at the Masters

titaniummd
Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He is a class act and if he could fade the ball he'd probably have more than one major. You can bet the guys on the Champions Tour are hoping he just keeps on trying for his 20 wins on the regular tour.

Yeah, I think you're right... He'll be remembered at Augusta like Ed Sneed and Scott Hoch... I certainly hope he can win one because he seems like a good guy... But this was most likely his last shot

A choke is a choke, but c'mon. He didn't miss a putt from 15". Anyone can play a few bad holes down the stretch, but Scott Hoch?? I wouldn't putt Kennys loss anywhere near Hochs.

He may never win a major, I hope he does, but he has plenty of tournaments left in him.

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I was bummed to see KP miss this one. He was rolling along great and that putt on 18 was sooooooooooooo close. I don't think Kenny's done, though. He won 3 times last year, had a great Ryder's Cup, has already won this year, and it's early days.

And he almost always hits driver -- didn't he say he trusts it more than any other club in his bag? If he had it to do again, 100 to 1 he'd pick driver again.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

I hate thinking of how he lost. Especially because Angel was in the jungle on the first playoff and somehow managed to hit the tree of luck and onto fairway. I wanted Perry to win it for himself and for his parents. Such a class act, such a great story...Gotta love KP. But of course, congrats to Angel Cabrera...He was so consistent on that course throughout the whole tournament. He has that switch that just turns on everytime he's at the Masters. Great Masters this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

• Administrator
3. do not hit a driver on 18 when there are bunkers in reach on the left and you always, always draw your drives.

I don't disagree with his choice there. He faded it nicely on Saturday. He hit it really well in the playoff. It's his second shots that killed him. And probably 8 times out of 10 he'll make par from that left bunker.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm so proud of KP's performance, and his post-tourney class. The outcome was disappointing, but what he did over the 4 days was great. Props to Chad and Angel also for keeping it between the lines on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the year shapes up for Kenn-tuck-ey. Expecting great things.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

I don't disagree with his choice there. He faded it nicely on Saturday. He hit it really well in the playoff. It's his second shots that killed him. And probably 8 times out of 10 he'll make par from that left bunker.

I have to agree. Perfect lie in the bunker, plenty far back from the lip, and under 160 yds.......when your name is on your bag, you've got to be able to put it in the center of the green damn near every time from there.

A real shame.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

KP must have a good major success ratio because he's hardly played in any of them. He's been a consistently good player for a while now and i hope he plays at the British Open but i doubt it somehow.

Kenny Perry is a class act. He was gracious with interview to the media and spoke from the heart. He said that if losing the Masters was the worst thing that happened to him in life, his lifes not that bad.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Perry was an extreme class act in his interviews after the round. He is a great golfer, and is by no means an "average player" on tour, he's 3rd on the money list! lol

But with that said, the thing that surprised me the most about Kenny being in contention and having the lead is that fact that he ONLY hits it right to left. At Augusta, like all other courses, you need to be able to hit a cut! That is why his ball went SOO far left on the 2nd playoff hole, sidehill lie + draw swing = mucho left!

If Angel would have hit a draw to the spot his ball landed on the 2nd playoff hole it probably would not have stayed on the green, but he hit a high cut and it landed softly. Shotmaking it crucial.

Driver: G10 9*
3-wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: 909H 19*
Irons: 695MBs
Wedges: 56 & 52 64 spin milledPutters:Seemore FGP Spider

A choke is a choke, but c'mon. He didn't miss a putt from 15". Anyone can play a few bad holes down the stretch, but Scott Hoch?? I wouldn't putt Kennys loss anywhere near Hochs.

Ok, maybe the Hoch comparison isn't totally fair, but the Sneed comparison fits... Sneed bogied the last three holes in '79 and then lost the playoff to Zoeller... Perry bogied the last two holes yesterday... It was tough to watch and I feel bad for the guy... He handled himself like a gentleman after a really tough loss... I was rooting for him but after Cabrera made the unbelievable par on the first playoff hole it seemed like he was destined to win.

apex53
In my bag:
Titleist 913D3 9.5
Titleist 913F 15

Titleist 913H 19, 913H21

Titleist 712CB 5-P Titleist Vokey 54, 58 Scotty Cameron Fastback Titleist ProV1x

He had such a great run. I was sad to see him not win it at the Masters, this week.

You are so right. His tee shot on #16 was truly amazing, and as he said, "The greatest shot of my life." So why did he make two mental errors on the last two holes: wrong type of chip shot on #17 and use of a driver on #18 that put the fairway bunker in play? Here is my theory: some golfers are convinced deep inside that they are not worthy to win. They want to win; they have the knowledge they could win, but deep inside they think "This isn't really happening." At that critical point, they either hit a less than great shot or make a mental error. I have personally been in situations in the past where I could win a golf tournament, and was nervous because I was not sure that I was "worthy". My feeling was "Is this really happening? Am I really good enough? Is the roof going to cave in any second now?" Over a few years, I handled the pressure better and thought "I win win because I am good enough. I am better than you, you, and you, and get out of my way so I can claim MY trophy." The real closers have no doubt they are worthy: Tiger, Jack, Gary Player, etc. When he first came on Tour, Tom Watson was labeled a "choker". Nick Faldo was labeled "Nick Foldo" by the Britiish tabloids. Payne Stewart was called "Avis" because he finished second so often and could not "close the deal". All three became great Champions. They decided they were "worthy". And this is different from confidence. Sometimes, a guy can be "too nice", and not have the required killer instinct. Kenny Perry is too nice. Nice guys do not win green jackets; killers do.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Sad to see him lose it... would have loved to see him Win... its a shame his adrenalin pumped his 6 iron over 17 and his drive into the bunker on 18...despite it all a Great Accomplishment... Look for him to be there again!

To Long Straight Drives
Rick Pogany

In the Bag
Blue Hawk XT30 8.5 Firm 47"Proto-type 5 wood Blue Hawk ShaftProto-type 7 wood Blue Hawk ShaftPing I3 Blades 4-LWRife Hybrid Mallet 34"ProV1

Perry always appears to be grinding especially with that weird swing that makes me seasick. Cabrera steps right up and smacks the ball without delay, very impressive.

Perry always appears to be grinding especially with that weird swing that makes me seasick. Cabrera steps right up and smacks the ball without delay, very impressive.

You are right. Cabrera reminds me of Lee Trevino and Chi Chi Rodriguez, who always played "ready golf".

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I'm glad he blew it. In fact, on another major golf forum I posted on Saturday night that I would be laughing when he folded down the stretch.

Kenny Perry may be a so-called nice guy, but on Super Bowl Sunday 2008 he was interviewed by CBS during the Phoenix tournament and asked for his Super Bowl pick. When he replied Patriots, they asked him why. He assumed a smug expression and tone, and said, "To shut up the '72 Dolphins."

That's so typical. It puts him in the simpleton category with blowhards like Rick Reilly. They can't stand that one team above all the 2000+ that have started NFL seasons ended with a perfect slate. It is the ultimate separator. Teams like the '85 Bears are easily replaced by the 2034 Bengals, or whomever. It makes no difference. Subjectivity can't contend with that unblemished record as a standalone. Guys like Bradshaw and Jimmy Johnson can't take it because deep down they realize their teams will blend into relative obscurity, while the zero grows in stature and lore. It can literally withstand centuries.

Besides, Perry adopted the most pathetic and disingenuous angle, "shut up." In a few decades, there won't be anyone left to shut up. The last '72 Dolphin will be gone. Are you seriously going to tell me the haters will stop at that point? LOL. It has nothing to do with shutting anyone up. The oldtimers like Anderson and Buoniconti popping bubbly is a convenient excuse. It's nothing but jealous desperation.

Anyway, as a '72 Dolphin season ticket holder when I was a kid, I've rooted for 30+ years for the last NFL unbeaten to fall. It is an annual treat, like pulling for that team all over again. And you come to identify trends. Wonderful trends. Like when a team starts 12-0 or more, the late game twists start working against them, more and more. Plus the natural tightening. That's why I was confident Perry would fail, the same dynamic applied to him because he made that remark, like volunteering himself into the Billy Mumy episode of Twilight Zone. The third shot on 17 was very familiar, like Plaxico breaking open in the left corner.

Perry traded one stigma for two. Congratulations.

I'm glad he blew it. In fact, on another major golf forum I posted on Saturday night that I would be laughing when he folded down the stretch.

Dude. You are no doubt insane. Get a life. Seek medical help. I'm not even kidding. This is why NFL fans sometimes scare me.

Note: This thread is 5481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!