IGNORED

Wilson STAFF vs Wilson STAFF's reputation

Note: This thread is 3801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a set of Di7's, I use them whenever I'm not really feeling it. They are very forgiving and they will still let you work the ball. Only my Adams OS Tech irons are more forgiving, but they will not bend. If I had to settle on one set, I'd really be stuck between the Ping i10 and the Di7, but would lean toward the Wilson Staff Di7 only because they are more forgiving when I'm off (the Ci's I haven't hit yet).... jmoc

"Courage is fear holding on one minute longer." Gen. Geo. S. Patton, 5 June 1944

Grom Desert Camo
Dymo HL Driver and 5 Wood
GC Hybrids 3-5 i15 irons 6-pw Tour-W 50*, 54* and 58* wedges White Hot XG Hawk Freak Neo GPS

I'm a fan. I LOVE my near mint Wilson Gooseneck blades that I bought for $35 off craigslist. Probably because I love a great (awesome) deal and also because despite what every one says about blades being difficult, I hit them better than I did my Lynx cavity back hand-me downs.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthr...3Bgoto=newpost

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I'm a fan. I LOVE my near mint Wilson Gooseneck blades that I bought for $35 off craigslist. Probably because I love a great (awesome) deal and also because despite what every one says about blades being difficult, I hit them better than I did my Lynx cavity back hand-me downs.

This shows that wilson really were the clubs to have not too long ago

it depends. wilson has the reputation they now have for selling cheap crap in modells. Wilson staff is on par with all the big names but people associate it with cheaper wilson clubs. quality never went down with those clubs, just people now equate them with wilson's ventures into the low level modells golf stuff(ram, etc).

and hrossroth, My uncle had a set of wilson staff fluid feel blades too. I have a set of mid cavitys.

I've always wanted to put a wilson staff club in my bag. I loved their Ci7's. I was going to buy those until i found the awesome deal for my current clubs.
I wouldn't say they are underrated by people who know what they are talking about. They always get great reviews by golf magazine and golf digest.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

I'm tempted to answer this by saying: you don't win back to back majors with crappy equipment. but there has to be more to it than that.

ask yourself this, what determines the reputation of a brand? sure quality equipment goes into this, but for the most part, it is advertising. golf companies sometimes put out as much money advertising their products as they do in the research and development of the product itself. This comes in the form of traditional advertising (TV, magazines, etc) as well as player sponsorships which gets their name out on the hats of the players....which in reality is the only way you know what clubs most pros play.

There are great clubs out there that don't come from taylor made, titelist or callaway...wilson staff is without a doubt one of them.

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

• 2 months later...
I have a Wilson Staff 8875 Mallet putter and absolutely love it! To the point ive forsaken my Oddyssee 2 ball for it, as I find it not just a little better, but head and shoulders above the 2ball.

My mens night partner has Wilson Staff Spine driver, 3 and 5 wood, and they are excellent clubs. We switched bags for a round one time, and I really liked them. Ill take my 909d2 over the Spine Driver, but i'd trade my Nike woods for the Spine 3 and 5 woods in a second. He had the same opinion, loved my driver, but preferred his woods.

I have never tried their irons or wedges, so I have no opinion on them, but what I have tried has been quality equipment.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I kinda skimmed the thread so sorry if this has been said.

There is a difference between Wilson and Wilson Staff. Wilson is geared toward budget minded golfers and beginers nowadays. Used to be a premier clubmaker. W/S is the "high end" line, which are just as good, if not better than most of the other major makers.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

I've been playing PI5s for 3 years now and believe it will be a few more years till I get the HC down low enough to consider something else. I like their wedges too.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I agree with some of the other posts here, that so many Wilson Ultra and other bargain basement clubs got onto the market that Wilson Staff lost any brand identity. The Fat Shaft experiment of 10-15 years ago also did them no favors as it actually became tough to find even their high-end clubs without those Fat Shafts, which looked and felt like a gimmick (exactly what high end players don't want).

I've had the same RM Midsize Forged irons for 12 years now (amazing it's been that long) and anytime I look at a new set I realize how gorgeous mine are. Really thin top line, faces that just look like they want to hit a nice shot. Now that I'm not playing as well as I used to, I'm sure I'd benefit from going back to a cavity back, but I know that playing with these will force me to get better.

In the marketing game, Wilson Staff definitely lost out to those with huge budgets and those focusing on game improvement irons. And the fact Wilson never really bothered with a premium driver, it didn't get to piggyback its iron repuation on its driver (cough, Callaway, cough). But as I've learned in my years with this sport, the vast vast majority of marketing is aimed at the 25 handicapper with money to spend, not the 19-year-old 7 handicapper trying to become a 2.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

A perfect example of how a poor marketing move can kill a brand (and open the door to competition.)

What people hear is the "Wilson" part of the name, which is associated with big-box store (wal-mart, etc...) quality clubs. It's all about perception. And let's be blunt too, when someone spends big dollars on a set of golf clubs, they don't want to spend time explaining to people that Wilson/Staff clubs are different than Wilson/K-Mart clubs. They want people to immediatly say "You got a set of Pings! Hey, those are great clubs man."

IMHO, Wilson should "spin off" the Wilson Staff line and rename them just "Staff". Drop the Wilson altogether.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I have a Wilson Staff 8875 Mallet putter and absolutely love it! To the point ive forsaken my Oddyssee 2 ball for it, as I find it not just a little better, but head and shoulders above the 2ball.

ive been looking for that 8875 for awhile now but they are not available here in the states. thats a great looking putter imo. i have the 8862, but i dont game it.

ive been looking for that 8875 for awhile now but they are not available here in the states. thats a great looking putter imo. i have the 8862, but i dont game it.

I've bought from Global Golf before with no problems, they claim they have the

8875 .

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I've bought from Global Golf before with no problems, they claim they have the

dang it, that actually isnt the one i was thinking it was. i was actually thinking of the 8876 (the Odyssey #9 style). thats the one ive been wanting that isnt available in the states...darn it

I've always liked their Irons.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Note: This thread is 3801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!