IGNORED

Ma Deuce on a Container Ship

Beretta_Shooter
Note: This thread is 5478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is preventing a U.S. flagged container vessel from having a .50 cal on board to ward off pirates? I were to think if a couple of those Tiki rafts got blown to bits, it would make those cockroaches think twice before approaching a U.S. flagged ship.

Glock 17

You would need several and you're also facing pirates who have RPG's.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

You would need several and you're also facing pirates who have RPG's.

Trust me, an RPG from a small boat is

no match for a Ma Deuce deployed from a ship! The link that kafka01 provided sums it up pretty well......there are some training issues, but those are pretty easily overcome, the real issue is the port restrictions on armed vessels.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As David in F l said - Many country's ports that these ships sail into do not permit weapons onboard non-military ships.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I would really like to see a merchant vessel able to protect itself. Hopefully some of the complications with port security can be addressed. I also think sending in some decoy ships would be helpful. It would be nice to have some pirate bodies wash ashore at the pirate's home ports.

Glock 17

They are pretty much restricted to water cannon right now.....that sucks against submachine guns and rpgs.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I don't care how much money the ship owners have to pay outta their pockets, but the money never comes from their pockets. you'll find insurance is paying the money to the pirates,either directly or indirectly...the shipping companies won't lose because they'll recover it one way or the other... thru insurance claims or the raising of shipping costs...either way, they don't lose. now that blood has been spilled,rest assured that more will be spilled, especially for the French and American vessels. it's time to deal with the pirates, using lethal force. for it's now a new ballgame in those waterways.whats' odd, is that theres' not one of Somali's neighbors whos' concerned about the lawlessnes across the border. sooner or later, it's bound to spill over into their countries.
and watercannons won't prevent what's about to happen to the crews from here on out...you cannot bargain with the lawless,regardless of why they're that way.

I bet some of the military contractors (like Blackwater) start getting in on this gig, helicoptering some guards and guns onto and off the ships when they at the edge of international waters.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

The unfortunate truth is that piracy has been a problem for as long as we've been plying the seas, and nothing that will come as a result of this incident will change that.

Shipping companies operate on a budget just like any other, and that includes any additional costs that would come from extra people on board the vessel for security, or additional training for the ones that are already there. They can try to offset these extra costs by raising their rates, but then they risk losing the contract to carry the cargo altogether. If one company will not send their ship somewhere dangerous without extra provisions from the people who are actually paying to ship the cargo, another company probably will.

It sucks to see safety concerns marginalized by a budget, but it's a line that always has to be drawn somewhere in every hazardous service or product that exists.

I want to know..the side of a cargo ship is what...40' off the water? How the heck are these guys getting on board? Grappling hooks and suction cup shoes?

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Yup, grappling hooks. Sometimes the only indication that a vessel crew has that pirates are even there is when the hooks start hitting the deck on the stern.

I believe in the 2nd Amendment. If they need a .50 Cal to defend their property then so be it. The 7th circle of Hell is reserved for thieves in my opinion

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I believe in the 2nd Amendment. If they need a .50 Cal to defend their property then so be it.

Not many other countries care about what our Constitution says. As far as I know a ship can have whatever they want to pay for in international waters, but if you want your vessel to enter a foreign port you comply with their rules.

Not many other countries care about what our Constitution says. As far as I know a ship can have whatever they want to pay for in international waters, but if you want your vessel to enter a foreign port you comply with their rules.

If you think about it there is a pretty good rationale not to let large, armed ships into your ports. You could find yourself blockaded pretty quickly.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

If you think about it there is a pretty good rationale not to let large, armed ships into your ports. You could find yourself blockaded pretty quickly.

And even if there is no hostile intent, the countries that do not allow private gun ownership are very interested in keeping as many uncontrolled guns as possible outside their borders. If every ship that came in was allowed to be as heavily armed as they wanted, it would be a lot more difficult to make sure they left with everything they arrived with. Even if the ship isn't there to make trouble, you know they came to make money.

I think a non-lethal solution would be the best one as it might deter the pirates without putting the crew at additional risk. And denounce the "water cannon" as one may, but I'd like to see a boarder try to climb over the rail of a ship with the stream from a 2 1/2" fire hose hitting them in the chest.

And even if there is no hostile intent, the countries that do not allow private gun ownership are very interested in keeping as many uncontrolled guns as possible outside their borders. If every ship that came in was allowed to be as heavily armed as they wanted, it would be a lot more difficult to make sure they left with everything they arrived with. Even if the ship isn't there to make trouble, you know they came to make money.

a water hose against an RPG ? are you serious? the only solution is between two options: pay the pirates the ransom they ask and hope that no crew member gets whacked.... biz as usual so to speak, or stop the lawlessness by whatever means are at your disposal.there's are no "cheap" ways out of the circumstance. you hire armed guards/Mercs and place them on about 50% of the ships...let the pirates guess which 50% they're on.... they could easily depart upon entering the ports' boundries.... either thru helicopters or other ships stationed outside the boundries. but continuing to allow piracy for any reason, goes against what THIS country stands for... and whether the other nations care about that or not, is irrelevant... our ships..our crew..and until delivered, our cargo....noone should have the right to dictate anything concerning those items. international waters are just that..everyones, and noone has any more/less right than the next guy. if this was happening inside a countries boundry, then you'd hold that country accountable... since it's not, no holds barred.as far as I'm concerned, allowing/accepting piracy is as guilty as those who are doing the piracy, especially when you have the means to stop it, regardless of the cost.

Note: This thread is 5478 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!