IGNORED

has anyone attended a pga tour event?

andy
Note: This thread is 5356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been to both Opens at Pinehurst, Sawgrass a few times, and Wachovia, along with a number of Senior Tour events. As for the Open, I agree the practice rounds are the best rounds to attend. You really get to see these guys upclose and personal. As for the weekends, I would get there early and pick a group to follow around to see the course setup for the day and then look for a good hole to post up for the later afternoon rounds. The weekends become a madhouse.

My Bag
Driver-907D2 (V2 Pro Force Shaft)
Fairway woods-:503-H/Nickent Genex 3DX Ut
Irons-695 CB Forged (4-P)
Wedges-Tour Action (56/60)Putter- Sotty Cameron Pro PlatinumBall-Pro V-1"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." ~Arnold Palmer

Having been to two opens at Pinehurst, Sawgrass, and Wachovia, as well as a number of Senior Tour Events, the practice rounds are the best for the open. You get to see more golf so to speak and have the ability to follow whomever you like. Weekend wise, get to the course early, follow a group early to see the course, and then pick a hole to postup on for the afternoon (At No. 2, we always went and got to 17). Even though the weekend is a madhouse, I would atleast go once because there is nothing like a Sunday at a major.

My Bag
Driver-907D2 (V2 Pro Force Shaft)
Fairway woods-:503-H/Nickent Genex 3DX Ut
Irons-695 CB Forged (4-P)
Wedges-Tour Action (56/60)Putter- Sotty Cameron Pro PlatinumBall-Pro V-1"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." ~Arnold Palmer

I've been to Doral and Las Vegas countless times, including LPGA and Senior events in Las Vegas. The only major I attended was 1990 at St. Andrews.

My strategy is to go early in the tournament and study the pairings sheet. You can find several intriguing parings side by side and move around to catch shots from all of them. Then make sure to see the big names for at least a couple of holes apiece. Inevitably friends or acquaintances will ask, "Did you see Tiger?" and you don't want to concede no.

It really helps to know the layout of the course, so you can cut across and pick up different groups with an idea where they will be. Some areas will allow viewing of multiple holes from one location, like putts here and a tee shot nearby. After a while you'll be able to distinguish the Tiger gallery from the Phil gallery to the non-existent galleries, simply via numbers and sound.

I went to the practice rounds at The Masters in 1996. I followed Tom Watson as he played, watched some holes for a while, and witnessed the practice round group of Palmer, Nicklaus and Woods with a few million fans. My other event was the 1980 Jackie Gleason Inverrary. (now the Honda Classic) Chi Chi Rodriguez talked to me in the right rough on the eighth hole. He said, "Move back son." Most of the day I sat with my dad at #18 watching the players finishing up. Jack Nicklaus nearly holed out for an eagle, but Johnny Miller was the winner.

That's it. Like all other sports, I greatly prefer watching golf on tv to being at the game.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

My strategy at the masters this year was to find two holes running side by side and park it between them. We choose 15 & 17 at Augusta. Depending on where you want to stand, you can watch a lot of golf without a lot of walking.
As Tiger's group approaches you can hold your ground and be in good position to see him.

Went to the US Open in Brookline, MA as a kid and have gone to some Champions tour events here in SoCal. Defenitely avoid the weekend. Parking at a hole and just seeing all the golfers come through is a lot of fun and low stress. But for me, especially as a kid, the best was going to the range and watching them practice... amazing.

Wishon Driver
Callaway 5 Wood
Ping G5 Hybrid
Adams A4 7-PW

TM 56 and 60 Wedges

Yes Sophia Flat Stick

When I lived in Dallas back in the late 70`s-early 80`s,I went to the Byron Nelson at Preston Trails alot.Got to see Nickalus,Palmer,Watson,Player,Floyd,Trevino,ect.Also,The Danny Thomas in Memphis.Got "comp" tickets to the PGA at Southern Hills from Fred Couples{ a frat brother at Arkansas grew up with Fred,and caddied for him that week}, and Fred finished 3rd! Those were the days! I prefer HD TV today-less hassle,cheap,and the beer is only 15 feet away!I`ll try the Masters,though,if I live long enough.

• 4 months later...
looking forward to the Presidents Cup coming to SF this year...this would be my first PGA event...not sure what day to get tickets for though, i think four-ball would be the most bang for the buck so it's looking like friday would be the day, although for $20 more Sat sounds like it would be fun to watch with four-ball and alternate shot in there, just have to deal with the crowds on the weekend...hmmm decisions decisions

is the atmosphere anywhere near the level of a ryder cup at the presidents?

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

I went to the Barclay's last year in Paramus NJ and I am going again tomorrow to a practice round. Last year I went to the first round first day, it was really really cool, much better than I expected. I expected it to be kind of boring and lame walking around for so many hours, but it was awesome.

It was my first one. I can't wait to go tomorrow to my first practice round!!!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

been to 3 tour events and it was fun but i dont think id go again unless it was free...
best time to go is for practice rounds and the 1st and 2nd rds after that its better to watch on tv...
i would much rather play than watch someone else play... lol
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I went to a Senior PGA Tournament a while back and I was just knocked out at how good they were.

It's a must-see experience.

I'm still kicking myself I didn't get to Bethpage this year for the open, rain or shine (OK there was no shine), since it's close by and I used to ride my mountain bike in the woods there all the time.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I attended the Anheuser Busch Classic every year it was at Kingsmill in Williamsburg, Va. Went to the LPGA Crestar Classic a couple of times when it was at Sleepy Hole in Portsmouth, Va. Then when it switched over to Greenbrier. Have been once since the ladies have had the Michelob Championship at Kingsmill. Last year I was at the Wyndham Championship courtesy of my brother who is an employee of Wyndham. He won it through a sales incentive which included VIP pass for the entire week. It was awesome to have access to all the tent areas, sky boxes, and clubhouse. All the food and free drinks we wanted all day. Got to meet David Duval and Paul Casey at a Wyndham party on Friday night. I am uber ticked at my bro for not winning the same deal again this year.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

First one will be Deutsche! Can't wait to see Tiger in person!

Woah, let the topic die.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Note: This thread is 5356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!