IGNORED

How should I practice my putting? I want to improve.

Note: This thread is 5457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just an average putter but want to make this my strong suite. Any good putters out there? Any advice you can offer? Dvds or books that gave you some insights? And practice drills? I go out and make balls, but don't have any real method to my practice. I play 9 ball the same way. Likely a reason why I am only average at both:) ha ha...

Any advice greatly appreciated. Especially and drills that I could do to improve my stroke. I am inconsistent all the time and all to often, I will miss 4-5 footers. Alignment? Stroke off? Dunno.

Just an average putter but want to make this my strong suite. Any good putters out there? Any advice you can offer? Dvds or books that gave you some insights? And practice drills? I go out and make balls, but don't have any real method to my practice. I play 9 ball the same way. Likely a reason why I am only average at both:) ha ha...

If you are inconsistent at putting, one thing you might want to work on is getting a routine you go through before every putt. It needs to be some type of step-by-step ritual that you go through before you even think about putting the ball. What I do is address the ball with my feet close teogether, then spread them apart and take my stance, then bend by knees, and then grip the club. It helps to settle you into a rhythm before each putt and helps you concentrate only on line and speed instead of all the other parts of the putt.

If you are talking about improving in general, I would focus on putts from 10 foot and shorter. And when you putt on the practice green, do not concentrate on making the putt; instead just try to make a good and consistent stroke.

If you are missing 4-5 footers then it could be either one of your options. It could be that you are pulling or pushing your putts or you could be aligned wrong. Are you a straight back and straight through putter or open and closed putter? You could set up two tees on the toe and heel of your putter. Put a ball in the middle of the tees and make putts without hitting the tees. Also, work on your alignment. Usually when I miss putts that close, it is because I have pushed or pulled them. With my technique from that distance, I ram them in the hole with considerable speed because I feel it takes the break out, but that is just me. That is also how I know that I pull or push them.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would reccomend competing with others on the practice green. Nothing has ever improved my putting as much, and you will probably read from others the same. Put some money on the bet, nothing substantial but one that will make you focus.

In my bag:Driver: 910D2, 10.25˚, Aldila RIP, Fairway: 904F, 15˚, YS-6FW+ Stiff, Hybrid: Titleist 910H, Irons: S-58, 4-PW, DG S300, Wedges: Wishon 52˚, 56˚, Putter: Odyssey Black series i 1

Any advice greatly appreciated. Especially and drills that I could do to improve my stroke. I am inconsistent all the time and all to often, I will miss 4-5 footers. Alignment? Stroke off? Dunno.

I see a lot of inconsistent putters spending their time trying to take the putter straight back and straight through (a mistake, IMO).

If you're looking for books, look at Stan Utley's The Art of Putting for your mechanics and Dr. Bob Rotella's Putting Out of Your Mind for the mental side. In addition to getting into the mechanics and right thoughts, practice 3- and 5-footers. Make a game of it. How many in a row can you make from 3 feet? Alternate angle for each shot. I put dimes at a 3-foot radius and putt from around then in a circle. Same with 5-feet.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm not a big believer in having a rigid preshot routine. Far too often I've seen guys go through a whole series of steps prior to every shot only to duff it. When that's the case their lenghty routine only serves to slow down play. If a routine works for you and helps to calm you and settle you into the shot then great, but it's not the routine that makes a good shot. For putting I'd simply recommend practice. I've always likened putting to shooting baskets. The more time you spend doing it the better at it you get. So much of good putting is touch and feel. You get that through experience. Obviously your mechanics must be good. Striking the ball on the putter's sweet spot, putting the ball along the intended target line, etc. that's where a lesson or having someone help you can be beneficial, but once you've got that down it's all touch and feel.

I will say that a very common mistake with putting people make is moving their head when striking the ball. That alone can lead to pushes and pulls and all sorts of other problems (grounding the putter, topping the ball, etc.), so concentrating on keeping your head still well past impact can make an immediate difference.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

i have found either keeping your eye on the ball through the stroke and not looking at where it goes till you have followed through your stroke, and i have even read some advice saying you should look at the back of the hole while putting which i don't get, though i have tried it. Just experiment with different ways of where you look and then you focus on you and not the stroke.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I am a big Dave Pelz fan. I believe in his science and method. But regardless of which method you use practicing the short ones is critical. I practice more 3 footers than all others combined. I go around the hole and use my preshot routine for every putt. Speed is everything. You have to hit putts firm and not afraid of the come backer from short distances. Once you expect to make the 3 foot putts, you can give longer ones a chance and not be afraid of 3 putting.

Another thing that helps me is taking my practice very seriously. I put alot of pressure on myself to make them. I am upset when I miss them just as I am when I am playing. I use the line for alignment. I see alot of people on greens who just bang the ball around with no purpose. You will not improve that way.

Brian

Okay, first I noticed that you said you were missing those nasty 4-5 footers. It happens to all of us as some point

ANYWAY I would have t ask if you were looking up before you're done striking the ball, this is common on the short putts because you can usually see the cup out of the corner of your eye. Next I would say practice putting with your dominant hand only because the momentum created when you go back carries through on the follow through and this is a great drill to practice and improve your follow through of the putter. My final bit of advice would be that if you don't have a line on your ball, put it on there. Hope this helps!

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

Next I would say practice putting with your dominant hand only because the momentum created when you go back carries through on the follow through and this is a great drill to practice and improve your follow through of the putter.

Oooh! I really like this one. I'm going to give it a try at tomorrow morning's practice.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I think solid putting comes from confidence born out of repitition. I haven't practiced putting in years, but I would enter a putting competition against anyone. I have so much confidence on the greens, I literally think I can make every putt.

Where did that come from? For about 5 years between the ages of 13-18, I practiced putting religiously everyday. I loved it and it was free! One other poster suggested making games out of it, which is what I did. I would find a practice hole that had an uphill, downhill, left to right and right to left 3-5 footer on each side of the hole. My goal was to make 10 in a row from each side of the hole. If I missed I had to start all over. I can't tell you how many times I would make 35+ in a row only to miss somewhere between 36-40 as the pressure mounted. I actually very rarely made all 40 before running out of daylight. This session would last 2-3 hours or longer. I did a similar thing with chipping, but not quite so structured. I would practice chipping until I chipped 10 in every night (not consecutively of course). This actually got to a point where it was very easy. I could chip in 10 within an hour, so I had to play around with different lies and shots, flops, bumps, checks, etc. to make it more difficult.

Focus on making 3 foot putts in a circle from the hole and lag putting of 10-20 feet.

1) 3 foot putts
A) begin within 1 foot circle
B) secondly 2 foot circle
C) finally the 3 foot circle

2) Lag putt from 10 - 20 feet into a 3 foot circle

3)Tips for consistent putting
A) putt with your shoulder and not with your hands, wrist
B) judge distance putt with the length of your backstroke and equal distance of your forward stroke
C) Keep a consistent tempo with a slight acceleration of your forward stroke
D) Have a pre-putt routine that you consistently use for every putt even tap ins.
E) Set up mini goals for yourself, record all your putts during a round and have a goal to reduce your putts every round
F) keep a light grip on your putter
G) Keep the triangle between your shoulder and your arms throughout your putting stroke
H) Sometime it helps to keep your putt low to the ground on your backswing to keep the putts on line especially the short putts. Try slightly lowering your rear shoulder (similar to Phil Mickelson putting stance)
I) Practice putting everyday even at home working on your stroke and distance control
J) Putting practice will help you find what works for your putting stroke and help improve your putting mechanics for consistencey especially under pressure situation such as a birdie or eagle putt.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I've found that practicing with just one hand (right hand if you're righty, left if you're a lefty) has greatly helped my putting game. It really helped me with distance control as well as making square contact with the ball. If you can do it with one hand, you can definitely do it with two

Oooh! I really like this one. I'm going to give it a try at tomorrow morning's practice.

Thanks. I use it all the time for warm up or practice. Have fun with it!

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

Lots of great replies and I thank you. I like the one handed practice idea. I suspect my alignment is as much of an issue as anything else. I should get some dvds/books that would offer some thoughts on proper fundamentals. Other than Stan Utleys book, any other suggestions?

Okay, first I noticed that you said you were missing those nasty 4-5 footers. It happens to all of us as some point

I have a Oddessy white hot 2 ball putter. There is no line on my putter. I always feel like when Im aiming at a target, I only feel like I'm aiming at a general area of the target because I don't have a line on my putter. Anyone know a better way to add a line to my putter? Other than a ruler and a sharpy

If you can do it with one hand, you can definitely do it with two

I actually think I have better distance control with one hand rather than two but of course I am not always on line.

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 5457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!