IGNORED

Pulling My Irons

Note: This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played the best 9 holes of my life the other day. Was Hitting the driver very straight and leaving myself with great approach shots with my Irons and wedges.

Generally my Irons and Wedges are my strong suit but for some reason I was pulling my short Irons and Wedges to the left and missed 3 or 4 greens because of it.

What could be causing this?

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

Pulls are caused by an out to in swing path with a clubface that is closed to the target, but square to the path of the out to in swing. As for the fix, hard to tell without seeing your swing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

when i start pulling my shots, i go to the range and keep my feet together to work on shots. i mean, stand there and hit shots with your feet actually touching each other. my coach showed me that practice tip and it has always helped. also, your irons could be bent a tad to upright for you

when i start pulling my shots, i go to the range and keep my feet together to work on shots. i mean, stand there and hit shots with your feet actually touching each other. my coach showed me that practice tip and it has always helped. also, your irons could be bent a tad to upright for you

^--- Great drill for balance too, if you're pulling irons what you could do is work on "throwing your clubhead" down the line towards the target. even if it's nice and easy, throw a ball down and even start with 3/4 swings to get your front half used to following through the right way instead of pulling your hips out early opening your front side, making your upper body compensate, squaring the clubface early and pulling the ball. and, if you want to try something else, take two of your irons...put them parallel roughly a foot apart and put the ball between them and focus on taking your divot straight to your target...if you follow on a 'pull' line you'll hit your clubs, personally i'd start off slower since it's your clubs, or, find two drill sticks to use.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

^--- Great drill for balance too, if you're pulling irons what you could do is work on "throwing your clubhead" down the line towards the target. even if it's nice and easy, throw a ball down and even start with 3/4 swings to get your front half used to following through the right way instead of pulling your hips out early opening your front side, making your upper body compensate, squaring the clubface early and pulling the ball. and, if you want to try something else, take two of your irons...put them parallel roughly a foot apart and put the ball between them and focus on taking your divot straight to your target...if you follow on a 'pull' line you'll hit your clubs, personally i'd start off slower since it's your clubs, or, find two drill sticks to use.

i totally agree that your balance might be your issue. maybe your opening up your lead shoulder through impact.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

This is a huge problem for me. The reason I think I do this is because my arms out race my hips and I come over the top. I also seem to hit pulls when I try to hit half shots. I am also going to get the lies checked.

Brian

I thought it was the other way..... that if the lie was too flat for you it caused pulls? Am I mistaken?

EDIT:

Just looked it up and I was totally wrong.... I guess that's something else that may be helping all my pulls......... though I'm pretty sure its mostly me.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

My nemesis as well....I fight it all the time. My issue is a bad left knee so I dont get the little bump over to the left side going.....then my shoulders and arms take over slightly casting the club over the top for a pull draw.....ugly.....I have to really work on tempo....feeling a smooth connected transition from the top. Letting my weight get over to the left side. I almost have to feel like I have dead arms on the backswing- very connected in the armpits to my sides....less armswing and more body turn back and thru seems to get me on my left side at impact more. I think of turning the triangle formed by arms and the base of that triangle is my chest. The one piece takeaway- I think of my sternum turning back even with the clubhead for the first foot....all this helps me stay connected...get to the left side......and strike it solidly with less pulls....

This is a huge problem for me. The reason I think I do this is because my arms out race my hips and I come over the top. I also seem to hit pulls when I try to hit half shots. I am also going to get the lies checked.

I was having a terrible time pulling the ball lately and this was my cause. To say it in another way your shoulders are turning first and outracing the hips putting you in a position where an over the top move is almost a certainty. You are set up to most likely yank the ball to the left. The hips must lead the shoulder turn to have a proper swing sequence.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I am going to go play a par 3 course tonight and see if I can right the ship

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

I usually seem to pull my iron shots when my hips come through way too early.. I close the face as a result and bam... 20yds to the left. It happens as well with my wedges once in awhile but I've gotten that taken care of.

Usually when my hips lag too far behind my arms, I end up sending it off in a gross push slice.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

Played the best 9 holes of my life the other day. Was Hitting the driver very straight and leaving myself with great approach shots with my Irons and wedges.

I sometimes practice hitting at the target with just my left arm (right handed player). Practice following through at the target and you shouldn't have any problems.

I am big headed and i love it. Try it yourself and see how much your game improves.

"The difference between impossible and the possible lies in a persons determination" - Tommy Lasorda
"It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
In my bag:Ball: I always use Pro V1Driver: ...

I've been pulling a bunch recently too, either that or thinning on my fades which only leads me to wide misses, terrible combination. Anyways, I find that my pulls are a result of me leaning back at impact and I end up pulling in an attempt not to fall back on my butt. I swing with basically a one plane swing so I don't really come from outside - in on my swing path. For me, I gotta stay in balance and make sure I finish in balance and it stems from the legs for me. When I fire my swing with my legs, it's more powerful, I'm in better balance from more interaction with the ground and keeps my body lines straight connecting my feet, knees, hips, shoulders. When I swing from the shoulders alone, or start from the shoulders, it's harder to sync my body rotation so I end up getting of balance and falling backwards.

I do think your troubles come somewhat from hanging on the right side as the above idea applies to a two plane swing as well, not turning in sync, but with a two plane swing, the sollution lies more in tempo and timing for balance instead of a more aggressive move for a one planer. Well, these are my attempts at an explanation, hope it helps.

Early weight transfer to the left side is the key to avoiding pulls or slices or a variety of other ills. Make sure that you turn into your right leg not over it. The lateral shift to the target must occur at the end of the backswing by allowing the right hip to rotate deep. Trying to perform weight transfer in the downswing is a timing nightmare fraught with inconsistency. The downswing must be pure hip rotation with passive arms no timing or manipulation of clubhead. Watch Hogan video for guidance.

Early weight transfer to the left side is the key to avoiding pulls or slices or a variety of other ills. Make sure that you turn into your right leg not over it. The lateral shift to the target must occur at the end of the backswing by allowing the right hip to rotate deep. Trying to perform weight transfer in the downswing is a timing nightmare fraught with inconsistency. The downswing must be pure hip rotation with passive arms no timing or manipulation of clubhead. Watch Hogan video for guidance.

Yes...I agree as my misses are to the left caused by my upper body out racing my lower body (my coach calls it a "Re-Route") which unless you time it perfectly will result in a closed club face at impact...the key is always the lower body and getting it started first with a passive upper body. Sequence is the key and if you watch Pro's warm up on the range, 90% of them begin by finding their sequence with easy 1/2 - 3/4 swings and then work their way up to full swings.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I usually seem to pull my iron shots when my hips come through way too early.. I close the face as a result and bam... 20yds to the left. It happens as well with my wedges once in awhile but I've gotten that taken care of.

Very interesting...I would think the total opposite would happen as follows: Scenario #1 - "hips come through way too early.. I close the face as a result and bam... 20yds to the left." Usually when you fire your hips way to early you tend to hit a push or fade as your hands get stuck behind you or you could be doing an unbelievable job of flipping your hands through impact. Scenario #2 - "Usually when my hips lag too far behind my arms, I end up sending it off in a gross push slice." Usually when your hips are late your upperbody will get through first thereby sending the ball left. The only way I could imagine hitting a push with late hips would be if you are yanking the club back way too far inside on your backswing and are getting mega stuck on the downswing...or you are holding on and not releasing the club at impact at all. Hope this helps but the key no matter what your swing problem (grip, posture, alignment, backswing path, etc...) will always be firing your hips aggressively through impact...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

• Administrator
I'm working on really really increasing the amount of my hip movement forward through my swing (see my lesson dilemma thread), and I'm noticing a few things:

1) When I don't push the hips through as much as I should, I pull the ball.
2) When I push the hips through but my head also goes forward, I push the ball.
3) When the hips go through but the head stays back, I hit a good shot.

None of that's bizarre or anything - that's pretty much how things go. You can look at it the way I've said it or the other way: arms outrace body = pull, arms get stuck behind body = push.

Kind of classifies as "common sense" for golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

it can be caused by many things. but when i start pulling the ball like i am now i go to the range and slow my swing down and make sure that i extend my arms on my follow through. sometimes widening your stance may help becuase it keeps your upper body from turning so quickly.
Driver: Taylormade R9
fairway wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree
hybrid: titleist 585 17
irons: Taylormade mb tp smoke 3-pw
wedges: Titleist vokey wedgesputter:sc ss newport 2, 34"Bag: ping vantage bag(team bag)

Note: This thread is 5449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!