IGNORED

most overrated clubs/brands? most underrated?

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

title says it all i think. definition of overrated in my book is clubs that have more brand appeal than performance appeal...not to say that they aren't good products, but rather that there name makes them seem better than what they are...price is usually a factor in this, but price alone doesn't necessarily have to equal overrated. underrated equipment is clubs that often get passed over or overlooked despite the fact that they are on par performance wise. let's throw out components and imports because its not something that everyone can get there hands on sometimes. that said, here are mine:

overrated:
- titleist ap-1s- just don't live up to the titelist name in my opinion, at least not as much as some of their other irons including their brothers the ap-2s
- callaway ft-iq driver- eh, i think a lot of people will agree with me on this one
- most new taylor made irons (anything newer than r7's)- i think taylor made is starting to think they can sell crap as long as it looks futuristic, which is sad because the r7 and r7 tp's were so good
- scotty cameron putters- there are a lot of flatsticks out there for half the price that pack the same tech and feel as a scotty.

underrated:
-wilson staff pi7
-nickent hybrids
-topflite gamers
-adams irons-though i think they are soon to be headed into the the so underrated they are overrated...kind of like the Lamar Odom of the golf club world

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

Yeah Wilson's irons are pretty good. Don't believe me ask Padraig.

Everyone makes fun of me for playing a "rock flite" until I spin it more than their 45$/box callies

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

Well look at it the other way for years Wilson made the best irons on tour.In fact if you can find a set of "Goose Necks" you hit golfers lotto.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

IMO, Titleist is very much overrated. A lot of people seem to think that anything Titleist is the best, which IMO is a result of Achushnet's aggressive marketing and the fact that they will sponsor almost ANYONE.
Taylormade is a close 2nd. Too have a very aggressive marketing campaign and will sponsor anyone.
People see so many pros playing Titleist or Taylormade equipment and they think, "if the pros play it, that must mean its better."
In terms of underrated, Id have to say Wilson and Cleveland are 2 that come to mind. Both companies make good stuff, but never seem to get the respect or media attention that they deserve.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

NICKENT. I believe these guys are overlooked way too much. I got rid of my old steel shafted hybrid for a nickent hybrid and i ended up owning two when it was all said and done. I still might not be done because i might go get a 14 degree one to act as a 3 wood.

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Most underrated is Bridgestone.

R7 Limited Patriot 9.5º
Sasquatch 15º
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 20º
Tour Preferred Irons 4-PW
Z Smoke TP 52º SV Tour Black Satin 56º Rossa Core Classics Fontana One Tour

Anybody playing Tour Edge/Exotics? I don't know if these are over/underrated, do they play as well as their high $ price would suggest?

Just curious.

Driver:  the search continues
Fairway Wood:  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex  (on order)
Wedges:  685BX black 56*      Putter:  Wilson Staff 8882 

Most underrated is Bridgestone.

Very much agree with this. Their irons are very nice (I almost bought a set of unhit J33 combos... Gave me about two to three weeks more pause before ordering my Mizunos) and their balls are money.

In terms of balls, I'm very happy with Srixon's tour balls, both old and new. Haven't seen much mainstream press on them, but very impressed.

callaway irons and drivers are overrated. I also believe that the pro v1 golf balls are overrated.
The bridgestone and TAYLORMADE TP balls are very underrated, and perform fantastically when i use them. I also think that mizuno irons are overrated on this forum. Don't get me wrong, mizuno makes good irons, but everyone on this forum makes them seem like slices of heaven.

Overrated : anything Bridgestone, Taylormade or Callaway - I see alot of Bridgestone honks here, I tried a few of their balls and the best part about them was hitting them into the lake. Ive played with too many people that use Callaway clubs and they just annoy me. Their high end balls did not impress me. Taylormade goes without saying - they sponsor everyone and really dont have a product that *stands out.*

Underrated : Srixon and Scotty Cameron. Srixon balls are definitely my second choice to play. I dont care what anyone says to justify not spending the money on a Scotty - there is no other putter that compares.
  • Upvote 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

title says it all i think. definition of overrated in my book is clubs that have more brand appeal than performance appeal...not to say that they aren't good products, but rather that there name makes them seem better than what they are...price is usually a factor in this, but price alone doesn't necessarily have to equal overrated. underrated equipment is clubs that often get passed over or overlooked despite the fact that they are on par performance wise. let's throw out components and imports because its not something that everyone can get there hands on sometimes. that said, here are mine:

Just wondering how you can plop the Tour Preferred irons in the overated category if you think the r7 tps were so good. It's basically the same thing.

As far as irons I think bridgestone is underated. And as far as balls, I think TaylorMade is underrated. Most overated thing in golf is Scotty Cameron, imo.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

callaway irons and drivers are overrated. I also believe that the pro v1 golf balls are overrated.

completely agree callaway sucks. I cant stand people who play all callie game improvement

Damn, everyone knocking poor Taylormade. I've never tried any of their irons, drivers, putters, wedges, or golf balls, but dang it, my 5-wood Burner is my hero. I'd have no chance of survival on 6500+ yard courses without that club.

Constantine

underrated clubs (on this forum) Yonex, Bridgestone/Precept, Cobra, Wilson

Overrated clubs Nike, Callaway

Long overrated clubs, coming back down to Earth Ping, Titleist

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Overrated : anything Bridgestone,

I guess you've never hit Bridgestone's irons. The really are wonderful. Bridgestone really isn't just their balls, though they do a great job with those, too.

Srixon balls are great. As for Scotty...
Most overated thing in golf is Scotty Cameron, imo.

I agree with ryo that they are overrated. I mean, with the cult following that will pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a putter and the presence that SC has on tour, how can you possibly call it underrated? Scotty's are considered by most golfers to be the best possible putter available. I just don't get calling them underrated.

Damn, everyone knocking poor Taylormade. I've never tried any of their irons, drivers, putters, wedges, or golf balls, but dang it, my 5-wood Burner is my hero. I'd have no chance of survival on 6500+ yard courses without that club.

If they didn't come out with a new driver, woods, and iron set every other week...

- most new taylor made irons (anything newer than r7's)- i think taylor made is starting to think they can sell crap as long as it looks futuristic, which is sad because the r7 and r7 tp's were so good

Agreed. My dad got for Christmas the R7 TP irons, and they have amazing feel and look to them. I am not a fan of the more recent TM irons. Their 3i Burner Rescue is phenomenal though.

In my opinion, many people overlook Cleveland clubs. Although I may be biased towards Cleveland, there is not much of a touring staff from Cleveland, obviously with Vijay as the one who sticks out. I think that I'm going to go Cleveland irons all the way. Their putters are excellent, too. And their wedges? Well that goes without saying...
Underrated : Srixon and Scotty Cameron. Srixon balls are definitely my second choice to play. I dont care what anyone says to justify not spending the money on a Scotty - there is no other putter that compares.

I find it a bit tough to call Scotty Cameron overrated when that seems to be the putter brand that about 90% of the people here drool over.

-Rich

• Administrator
Okay, so here's the way this thread seems to have gone: "over-rated" = "I don't like them" and "under-rated" = "I like them."

Virtually every golf manufacturer makes good equipment for someone. Look at - just as an example - one company: Acushnet. They make Pinnacles and Titleist balls. They make Cobra and Titleist clubs. Both serve different markets. For a hacker, a Pro V1 and a Titleist ZM might be "over-rated." For a duffer who's just looking to have some fun and wanting game-improvement, Cobra clubs and some Pinnacles might be "under-rated."

I guess I just don't understand the point of these kinds of threads. It's just going the same way as "what's the best driver?" type threads go: everyone just recommends or says good things about whatever they've got.
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!