IGNORED

most overrated clubs/brands? most underrated?

Note: This thread is 4544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Wilson Staff irons are one of the most underrated clubs on the market. I hit the Wilson Staff Ci7 Control irons last week and was blown away by the look and feel. I have to admit I would have never looked at them much less hit them if the clerk had not suggested them to me.

As far as overrated I would have to go with Titleist clubs. They are far too overpriced.

I think Wilson Staff irons are one of the most underrated clubs on the market. I hit the Wilson Staff Ci7 Control irons last week and was blown away by the look and feel. I have to admit I would have never looked at them much less hit them if the clerk had not suggested them to me.

off topic, but i

LOVE the Wilson Ci7's. if i were looking for new irons right now, id have a really hard time deciding between the Ci7's and the new Mizuno MX-200's.

Okay, so here's the way this thread seems to have gone: "over-rated" = "I don't like them" and "under-rated" = "I like them."

I agree and under-over rated where?, on this thread or on tour or marketing? on tour you don't see many Mizuno player's but on this forum you see a ton of them, but here goes. It's got to be callaway and taylormade in the overrated catagory and bridgestone srixon in the underrated. and we could take it a step farther and catagorize things.

Mizuno mp 630 9.5 Mitsubishi Fubuki stiff
Taylormade R7 RE*AX 55g Stiff
Taylomade Rescue mid 19* Light metals 95g
Mizuno MX25 4 -52*Gap True Temper Dynalite S/L
Mizuno MP-T 56* / 60*Odyssey White Hot Tour # 1

Hi

New here - excellent forum.

Most under-rated: I would vote for MD Golf - been getting great reviews from various sources and great value as they don't pay tour players.

I have been thinking of finally updating my 20 year old Ping Eye 2+s, for some Superstrong CNC milled forged. Have been looking at AP2s and MP57s, but when I can get decent forged clubs for a third to a half of price of the more well known brands, I cannot see the point of Titleist and Mizuno. I guess that gives my opinion of over-rated.

Anyone play MD Golf - not sure they are sold in the USA?

Thanks
Matt

Hi

Yahhhhhh MD Golf are great apart from this hybrid i had of their i couldn't hit... my wedge is so nice though

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Glad to hear I have of bag full of the most underrated/overrated clubs! (You should see what's in my garage)

If it works for me it's underrated, if it sucks, it's overrated.

Glad to hear I have of bag full of the most underrated/overrated clubs! (You should see what's in my garage) If it works for me it's underrated, if it sucks, it's overrated.

dude! that little bug in your signature made me think there was an insect crawling on my screen! LOL

Okay, so here's the way this thread seems to have gone: "over-rated" = "I don't like them" and "under-rated" = "I like them."

I really dont know why people say cobra is for duffers. Cobra is used by great players on tour such as ogilvy, camilo, and poulter. Their blades and pro model clubs are some of the best and can be compared to the great companies like titleist and taylormade. I know alot of their stuff is made for duffers but every company does that including titleist. For example, the D-Comp driver and ap-1 irons appeal to a high handdicapper. haha sorry for the rant but i love Cobra :)

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

I just returned home from purchasing a hybrid from Golf Galaxy. I tried out some clubs from Nickent, Adams, Ping, Cobra, and Callaway. I had been switching clubs quite a bit and after a while I didn't even realize what I was hitting, until I settled upon a club that felt great at address and I was hitting very consistently.

I was shocked when I turned it over and saw Nickent. And even more shocked at the price! Nickent gets my vote for being underrated.

As for overrated? I'll go with Scotty Cameron putters. While certainly excellent putters, I can't see where the high price and excessive praise is justified. I'd own one if I could afford it, but my Ping Anser felt 90% as good at a third of the price.
Driver: ZL 10.5⁰
Fairway: Burner 15⁰/19⁰
Irons: MP-67
Wedges: 1018 52⁰/56⁰/60⁰
Putter: Byron Morgan 007xBall: Pro V1x

I don't know about underrated, but great clubs that flew under commercial radar until their demise..................MacGregor.

Fantastic pedigree, unfortunately they couldn't compete with the mega-marketers. For you that like forged, player irons, it doesn't get much better.
  • Upvote 1

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

-adams irons-though i think they are soon to be headed into the the so underrated they are overrated...kind of like the Lamar Odom of the golf club world

You mean the Ben Wallace Syndrome.

Overrated: I hate to say it, but Titleist. I really don't get any of their clubs except for the Vokeys and Camerons. The irons are decent except for the AP2s (I think many would rather have Mizzys). Drivers are alright. And fairways are solid. They just don't seem like anything special like many have come to associate with them. But the balls are pretty sick. The new ProVs are much more resistent. Many have had TM in this group, but I think they are more overrated in the mind of a casual golfer, most likely not someone on this forum. NIKE...great brand all around, but none of their clubs knock me out. I think they sell 1000s of clubs because of Tiger, not based on performance. Underrated: Adams, Nickent, Cleveland, Bridgestone and PING (in the minds of some on here.) Adams is more of a second-tier company in my eyes. They don't get much recognition, but they have some sweet clubs. Nickent hybrids are very good and underplayed. Cleveland makes very good clubs (not just the wedges...drivers, fws, putters, and irons), but doesn't have the money to advertise like Callaway, Titleist, etc. And the Srixon balls are pretty good. As for Bridgestone, I can't really speak for the clubs since I haven't used them much, but their balls are very good. I'd say their top level ball is almost on par with ProVs IMO. TopFlite Gamers and D2s don't get credit either in the ball department. Now for PING: I really cannot find a bad thing to say about them. Maybe that they make some of their own shafts (no PXs or DGs usually), but that's about it. Their drivers are solid...forgiving and workable. Fairways are good. I haven't used their wedges much, but they look nice. I really don't get how anyone can say that their irons are overpriced. They are cast and are sold at the same exact price as other comparable cast clubs. And some of them are super forgiving. Or you can even get a players club that is almost on par with a forged club in terms of feedback and feel. Oh, and PING bags are the best IMO. The 2nd place brand isn't even in the same category as PING in terms of bags (thing Tiger vs. Phil and it's about the same). But I really don't get the PING is overrated statement...at all. They make very good products for just about everyone.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

• 1 month later...
Bettinardi Putters are worth every penny as well.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

Overrated: Taylor Made Irons (not woods), Callaway everything.

Underrated: Bridgestone Golf Balls, Mizuno Irons, Scotty Cameron Putters (yes i know they arent underrated per say, but anyone who says they arent worth the money are out of your mind)

Haha everyone hates Callaway

I feel like turd :(

In my TerraFirma X Bag
360 Ti 10.5° Driver
FT-i Squareway 15.0° 3w
04 Big Bertha 19.0° 5w
04 Big Bertha 4-9, PW, GW +1/2" Irons Vokey Spin-Milled 56°10° SW C02 Milled 35" Putter Contour Shoes and SofJoy GlovesA mix of NXT and Laddie Xtreme balls

How could something be overrated or underrated?

Aren't golf clubs all based on PERSONAL opinions on WHAT YOU feel is the best. Who's to say one driver, for example, is superior to another. I find this topic foolish.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I don't know about underrated, but great clubs that flew under commercial radar until their demise..................MacGregor.

I 2nd that MacGregor, my cousin has a set of drivers and I rock the snot out of those..

For me most over rated are Calloways Irons, I have hit alot of them and to me I dont see what the hype is (for me not trying to piss in anyones cheerios) And taylormade R9's, I dont get why everyone has such a huge hardon for these the r7 driver was way better IMO.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

Note: This thread is 4544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!