IGNORED

most overrated clubs/brands? most underrated?

Note: This thread is 4546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My most underrated clubs are my Spalding Executive Irons. My parents bought these for me when I was a freshman in high school. These clubs were an instant improvement to my game over the old Ram blades I had been using. Since then, they have been nothing short of perfect for me. I don't see my self getting rid of them any time soon. I'm on my fourth or fifth set of grips. Shafts are still in great shape. No rattles.
Driver: Cleveland Hi-Bore Tour 9.5°, Fujikura Fit-On Red-Stiff
Fairway: Cleveland Hi-Bore 15°, Grafalloy ProLaunch Red-Stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Dual TP 3H, Diamana Blue Board-Stiff
Irons: MacGregor MT 3-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Stiff
Wedges: MacGregor MT Pro 52-6° & 58-10°Putter:...

I 2nd that MacGregor, my cousin has a set of drivers and I rock the snot out of those..

I agree with the Callaway irons, they don't suit my eye one bit and I have never been able to hit iron with that much offset.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I agree with the Callaway irons, they don't suit my eye one bit and I have never been able to hit iron with that much offset.

yeah exactly, I played with a set of X-20 last year cuz my clubs were getting regripped. Holy flying bat crap, their ball flight is so damn high...i could use an 8iron as a SW.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

NICKENT. I believe these guys are overlooked way too much. I got rid of my old steel shafted hybrid for a nickent hybrid and i ended up owning two when it was all said and done. I still might not be done because i might go get a 14 degree one to act as a 3 wood.

I agree with Nickent - I played the 3dx ironwoods for several seasons before retiring two of them this year. I still carry a 17 depending on course.

Bridgestone is very much underrated as well. As for overrated, I can't say. What I think is overrated may be the score savior for another. I tend to believe anything heavily marketed is suspect, but if you are making money on a good product - you can pay more to advertise it.

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

Before, I said that Scotty Cameron's are overrated, but now after using one for a couple weeks, I need to bite my tongue. Worth every penny.

Welcome to the club. I am beginning to think anyone who says Scotty Cameron putters are overrated has never used a Scotty Cameron putter.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Welcome to the club. I am beginning to think anyone who says Scotty Cameron putters are overrated has never used a Scotty Cameron putter.

Eh. I wouldn't call Scotty's overrated, but I don't know if I putt any better because of it, to be honest. I really like it though, I wouldn't trade it for any other putter.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• 6 months later...
Recently came across a driver that I just love. Maxfli XS Tour driver. VERY underrated driver. I have hit most of the brand name drivers and I must say the Maxfli XS Tour driver felt great. Has an awesome shaft (Aldila DVS 65) that is very light and compliments that head weight very well. You can get this driver I think at Dick's and Golf Galaxy's for around $100 (clearence). I've hit Titleist drivers for many years and the Maxfli XS Tour is probably one of the best drivers I've ever hit.

Wilson Golf balls hoping to make 50 elite or zip my gamer soon
Plus Yes putters they have better roll but i liked my sabertooth better
Also Nickent they make solid everything besides putters in my opinion 4dx evolver has more adjustments than the r9 hybrids have won a major and i love their irons
but this is what i love because i have no bias at all if it works for me i like it but its everyones opinion
DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

Im loving my TOP ROCK, but in my foursome I am also, mr toplong and topspin and their spending close to double...

Also, most srixon products are underated... I love their z star line of balls, and their irons and they are never talked about in the states on this side of the pond, but apparently a big thing in europe

Hybrid: Snake Eyes 5 and Texan 2Irons: Cally X-12s (yes the original x-series) 5-PWWedge: Jack Nickalaus 56, TM Rac 60, Carbite 64Pu...

Most underrated? RIFE. I would trade my Scotty for the 2-Bar mallet if I wasn't so cheap.

Most overrated, for me, are the Vokey wedges. I get no feel off of them.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I love how people say that a Cameron is too expensive, yet they have $400 drivers in their bag. Driver is used 14 times a round at the most, putter is the most used and most important club in the bag.

Overrated and Underrated ? How to define them ?

Are they measured by the amount of publicity ? most use by PROs ? Meets one game and skill ?

If ProV1 balls are overrated , the PROs will dump them from Day 1.
Same for Vokey Wedges and Cameron Putters.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I love how people say that a Cameron is too expensive, yet they have $400 drivers in their bag. Driver is used 14 times a round at the most, putter is the most used and most important club in the bag.

I love how people spend $400 on a club that they don't even swing past their knees. At least some are spending money on a club they'll swing at 114 mph. I can putt with a book tied to a stick but to smack a ball 300 yards, I'll probably need that driver lol. I'm not trashing spending money on your clubs but, when you argue that there's more value in the putter, I just don't see it. At least manufacturers will sell you these fancy terms like 2000 cc or 5 piece construction, or some crazy moi expanded sweet spot mumbo jumbo. What do the putter ads tell you? Your ball will roll on the ground? See my point? hahaha

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love how people spend $400 on a club that they don't even swing past their knees. At least some are spending money on a club they'll swing at 114 mph. I can putt with a book tied to a stick but to smack a ball 300 yards, I'll probably need that driver lol. I'm not trashing spending money on your clubs but, when you argue that there's more value in the putter, I just don't see it. At least manufacturers will sell you these fancy terms like 2000 cc or 5 piece construction, or some crazy moi expanded sweet spot mumbo jumbo. What do the putter ads tell you? Your ball will roll on the ground? See my point? hahaha

That's so funny.

In my TMX Staff Bag
r7 460 Driver 10.5*
Launcher Comp 3 Wood 15*

Heavenwood 20* OR MX-950 3 hybrid MX-950 4 hybrid, 5-PW CG14 52*/ 60* Black Pearl CG14 56* Camouflage 2 Ball White Steel Putter....no preference of golf ball brands

You mean the Ben Wallace Syndrome.

While speaking to a large chain retail clerk, I questioned if PING was just another over-rated company and why the high prices. It was stated to me that PING (one of few remaining family owned companies) has very high quality control standards. All respective club face lies and angles are nearly identical before leaving the factory and going into circulation. He also told me that PING is rarely put on sale compared to other major companies.

In my TMX Staff Bag
r7 460 Driver 10.5*
Launcher Comp 3 Wood 15*

Heavenwood 20* OR MX-950 3 hybrid MX-950 4 hybrid, 5-PW CG14 52*/ 60* Black Pearl CG14 56* Camouflage 2 Ball White Steel Putter....no preference of golf ball brands

i love titleist clubs because i see a performance benefit when gaming their clubs. Some people say they're overrated but I disagree since every Titleist club I've hit has outperformed all the other brands' clubs.
Wilson is very underrated while the opposite goes for TaylorMade.
I do agree that you can get a putter that is just as good as a Scotty for half the price...

Note: This thread is 4546 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!