IGNORED

P90x

neudi
Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have some very direct questions about this program that have yet to be answered on their website or on this website.

1) If you have this, did you use the bands or dumbbells?
2) Did anyone use the after-workout formulas that help your muscles repair and if I do this program should I get these formulas?
3) How well do you think this program works if you do it correctly, meal plan and all?
4) Is it right for a golfer?
5) Should I also get things such as the protein shakes and creatine replacement formulas if I am really serious about this program?

I am just wondering because I am trying to get back in shape and was just seeing if this can cause my golf game to go to the next level of competition.

Thanks in advance - Neudi.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Just started it recently.
1. I use dumbbells but need to get some heavier ones...bands work just as well though.
2. I'm just doing the workout so I can't help you there.
3. You do so much it has got to help. Again, I'm just doing the workout and eating relatively healthy.
4. I think so...lots of core and strength training. Plus the Yoga can't hurt the flexibility.
5. Up to you I guess. I'm just looking to get stronger and healthier and as such I'm just working out and eating well. If you want to make sure you get bigger the other stuff may help.

Sorry I wasn't a lot of help. I will say that I am enjoying the program though...even if it is kicking my butt . This is coming from someone that has never exercised before (I do play sports though).

In my Datrek Rage bag:
Driver: Sumo 5000 w/ Aldila VS Proto Stiff
4-Wood: SasQuatch 2 w/ Diamana Stiff
Irons: AP2 4-PW w/ PX 6.0
Wedges: Zodia US Spec 52*, Yururi Gekku 57*, 588 DSG RTG+Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style 3.5 or Odyssey White Hot Tour #1Ball: ProV1 or whatever I find!

Just ordered it off amazon with the resistance bands total for around 100. Figured it is worth it for the price. We will see how it goes.
What's In The Bag?

Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

1) I just got this and I am going to try and do both.
2) It is always good to stretch after a workout and you want to give your body 72 hours in between work outs to allow your muscles to rebuild.
3) It should work well if you stick with everything.
4) It isn't specifically designed for the golfer. But it does focus on strengthening the core, back, arms, and flexibility as well.
5) Personally I am not a fan of creatine or the protein shakes as I see it the food you eat should be the only protein necessary. I see it as just another way for them to make money.

I would personally suggest looking into some of the popular golf fitness programs. I got some info on my site about it if you wanted to know a little bit more about it let me know!

Just started doing this as well, tried it a couple of years ago with some friends but we lacked will power.

1. I use a mixture of both dumbbells and resistance bands right now for pull ups.
2. I'm not using any workout formulas, but if you are interested they have the "recovery drink" that they mention throughout the videos.
3. If you stick with the program it will work. I have seen some good results from the few people that I have met that have done the program.
4. As mentioned, it works on flexibility, core, arms, legs. All good areas to work for the golf swing
5. It's really up to you. Personal choice here.

The plyometrics video will kick your butt if you are not prepared, but you can substitiute cardio x for plyometrics though. The rest of the videos are really not that bad though.

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 9*
3 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 13* 5 Wood: cleveland.gif Launcher 19*
Irons: cleveland.gif CG1 Black Pearl 3-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gif CG12 Black Pearl 52 & 58 Degree     Putter: cameron.gif California Coronado
http://twitter.com/BFlynn23

I just want to see everyones before and after photos! The infomercial seems to be on every Sunday AM when I am at my health club working out.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

1.) I used dumbbells. If bulking up is your goal, I would recommend them, if not, bands will do just fine.

2.) Personally I think it is a waste of money. It is always good to eat some sort of protien after a workout. This doesnt necessarly have to be an expensive "muscle repair" shake.

3.) If you can stick with this for 90 days my hats off to you!!!(2 a days start to suck!) No doubt it will get you in the best shape of your life.

4.) Any improvement to your health and flexibility should be good for your golf game as well. However, id try not to blow up like Arnold

5.) I would just stick to a high-protien diet. Your body can only digest so much protien, the rest is removed from your body. IMO youd just be shitting your money away!!

Everyone has had some pretty good answers with the exception of the protein portion. If you try and get the correct amount of protein from food only, you better be rich. You will have to buy tons of food to get the amount of protein that your body needs to build muscle. The reason people use protein shakes and bars is because it makes it easier and cheaper to get the correct amount of protein. How much protein do you really think that you eat during the day from food alone? When you compare this to the 1-1.5 grams per body pound that you need, you will quickly see that you will be ingesting insane amounts of food. Do yourself a favor and buy some protein powder. Make sure you get Whey protein. Now, you can probably find the bars and powder cheaper than what the P90x brand is...but you need to get some. If you don't use their diet and you still want to have your 5-6 daily meals (which is important to losing body fat) then protein shakes and bars can be used as meal replacements.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I'll let you know how I do.
What's In The Bag?

• 10 months later...
Anybody currently doing the P90X in the off season? If so what are your results, did you stick to it? I am starting currently 1st week is a killer, but i can tell that this season i'll be a much better golfer.

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

What are your goals?
Diet will be THE key factor in helping you to achieve those goals. Whatever workout you choose will count for about 10-15%. This is the part that most people have trouble believing.

Protein supplementation is a must, especially directly after you have completed the workouts. The extra protein helps repair the muscles you are breaking down during the workout. Rather than buy their protein, I'd go to Walmart, etc. and get the powder to make a shake and drink within 30 minutes after you completed the workout. It will be much cheaper. Creatine on the other, is not necessary.

In The Bag:
Driver: 
 RBZ 10.5*
3 Wood:  RBZ 15 *
Hybrids G15 17* & 20*
Irons​ G2 4-UW 
Wedges:  Vokey 54*
Putter:  MC-03w
Balls:  PD Soft

I'm on day 9. You need to figure out what you want to achieve. There are three types; classic, size and leaner. Then follow the outline set up for each one including the meal plan. They will recommend which foods and supplements to eat.

Use two sets of dumbells. One heavy and one light. You definitely need the chinup bar. They're $30 on eBay.

If anyone wants a excel spreadsheet to chart their progression, send me a PM. Will be glad to forward it.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Tried it over the winter, simply couldn't keep from hurting myself.....7 days a week is just too much for me, but it is a GREAT program.....also, learned that I HATE working out at home.....

Lessons that I took away from P90x
Diet and supplements - feed your body, only way to recouperate and see benefits
The ab routine - I do his routine at the gym and I love it
Supersets - I now do much more of these in the gym than I ever did before, results are great
Pace yourself - early on, do as much as you can, but don't push to injury or over your red line

I would recommend it to anyone - even if it doesn't fit you, there are some excellent lessons you can incorporate into your life.

Diet will be THE key factor in helping you to achieve those goals. Whatever workout you choose will count for about 10-15%. This is the part that most people have trouble believing.

+1 on this. Nutrition is everything if your goal is burn off fat. And of course, we all fall into this category. Follow the nutrition guide if all this stuff is new to you for at least 30 days. That's usually how long it takes people before knowing how to eat better becomes second nature. And then from there, you can modify it and do your own personal healthy diet.

Pace yourself - early on, do as much as you can, but don't push to injury or over your red line.

Another very important piece of advice. This program is extreme and so many people get hurt doing it. At the first sign of any muscle tweak or the like, you simply have to cool it for a while until it fully heals. Eventually, you will be strong enough to be working out 6 days a week without too many problems, but that takes time to build up towards.

I would recommend it to anyone - even if it doesn't fit you, there are some excellent lessons you can incorporate into your life.

This part I sort of disagree with. Most people need to prepare themselves for P90X by jogging and lifting for a a period of time before beginning the program. If one has been out of shape for a period of years and then just throws themselves full throttle into P90X, they will get injured. I worked out for about 30 days before attempting my first round and I still sustained a number of injuries along the journey. Still though, I do agree with you that with the proper focus, preparation, and patience, anyone can conquer P90X. Hey, just look at the their Plyometrics DVD. One of the four guys in the DVD has a prosthetic leg and he's in ridiculous shape. Very inspirational.

In the end, you have to make sacrifices in order to succeed with P90X. I basically quit drinking and also significantly cut back my social life. I find myself actually planning most of my days around my workouts and meals, and that prevents me from hanging out with friends at bars, restaurants, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my decision, but it was a fairly drastic transition for me. Good luck!

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm looking at doing the lean version, but I'd have to wait until I graduate this may. I'm worried about doing it during the actual golf season though since unfortunately Wisconsin's isnt that long and I'd rather not sideline my game due to an injury as stated above^ :(

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I see a lot of people mentioning injuries, what type of injuries are you sustaining on P90X? I have the program and reviewed most of it and decided to wait as I want to focus more on gaining strength right now with a resistance program, focusing on heavy compound joint lifting program to add strength and on off days doing high intensity interval training (to me P90x is more of a cutting program, which I plan to do once I am happy with strength level). But I didn't see anything that should be causing injuries, are you guys talking about soreness or actual injuries?

Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!