IGNORED

Why did you buy your Callaway Wedge?

Note: This thread is 5475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm really leaning towards a 58 degree vintage c-grind wedge to replace my 55 Vokey and 60 Cleveland. I've got it narrowed down to the new Vokey SM, or Callaway x-forged, although I did just try a Nike and liked it. I'm leaning towards the Callaway, although I'm not entirely sure why. I think it's because:

1. I wouldn't mind being a bit different (everyone seems to play Vokey)
2. I think Roger Cleveland is a great wedge maker
3. I like the feel of a forged club

So why did you go with a Callaway wedge? I know the best answer is performance, but I feel like so many of the wedges now perform so well, that there isn't a true winner in this area. Also, I doubt I, or most people, are actually good enough to really tell a significant difference.

"take a couple weeks off - then quit for good"

- X-460 Tour 10.5 Fujikura Stiff
- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- Vokey 52 + 55deg wedges
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

Last year I bought two Callaway X forged (chrome - 52* & 58*) wedges primarily because I'm using Callaway X18s (3 through 8) and Callaway X forged (9 and pitching) and prefer wedges that match or are consistent with my 9 and pitching wedge. Also I like the design.
Cart Bag: AMP Xtreme
Driver: 460
3 Wood | 5 Wood: Diablo
Irons: (3-8) X18 | X Forged 9 & P
Wedges: X Forged 52 (12) | 58 (10) C-Grind Putter: Anser 4 i SeriesBall: Burner1978 - 93 - All Time Best - 84 or12 over in 1991.1994 - 2008 - Inactive2008 - Present - All Time Best 96 or 24...

I'm really leaning towards a 58 degree vintage c-grind wedge to replace my 55 Vokey and 60 Cleveland. I've got it narrowed down to the new Vokey SM, or Callaway x-forged, although I did just try a Nike and liked it. I'm leaning towards the Callaway, although I'm not entirely sure why. I think it's because:

Over the past three years I've played several different wedges, and honestly there is no true winner. Obviously one company markets theirs so aggressively that it seems near brainwashing, but there are endless choices for good playing/feeling wedges.

I was at a Callaway demo day at a nearby course and was able to test them around the greens. Long story short, they suited my game then and I'm still loving them now.

Driver:  the search continues
Fairway Wood:  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex  (on order)
Wedges:  685BX black 56*      Putter:  Wilson Staff 8882 

I just like them the best. I tried out Cleveland, Titleist, and Callaway. I like the classic look and the forged feel, and for some reason they seem easier to hit for me than Vokeys.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Fisrt I was using a Cleveland CG-10 and I didn't like it, so I bought the X-Tour's to match with what I used to have in my bag, but the most I used them the most I love them. Right now, I don't think I'm going to change them, I have more than a year with them and they still perform great. And if I have to change them I will consider the X-Tour's again or the X-Forged.

Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I bought a Callaway X-forged because Titleist (at the time) did not offer a 64 degree wedge. I also like the appeal of a forged wedge, but to be honest, I don't really feel much of a difference in feel. I don't really use it that much other than to practice with it... I don't think it's a consistent club to be used in a scoring round.

Getting back to your question, I have owned Mizuno MP-R wedges and Vokeys, and they are all pretty consistent in terms of quality and feel. I don't use SM Vokeys anymore because they tear up balls too quickly, but I don't find that the case with the Mack Daddy grooves.

My Cleveland 588 56* was shot so I was in need of a new wedge. Roger Cleveland designed the Callaway X-forged wedges so I bought those because the look at address was the same as my 588. There was no new look at address, same great look but a better feel. So good I bought a 52* X-Forged Vintage and 58* (w/ C-grind and MD grooves) X-Forged Vintage. Very Happy with the purchase.
Driver: '07 Burner 10.5* R Flex ReAx Shaft
3 Wood: '07 Burner 15* R Flex ReAx Shaft
Utility: '07 Burner Rescue 19* R Flex Reax Shaft
Irons: MP-33 3-PW S300 Shaft
Wedge: X-Forged 52* Steel Shaft Wedge: X-Forged 58* MD-C Steel Shaft Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Burner TP

just out of curiosity, are Vokeys forged?
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

just out of curiosity, are Vokeys forged?

No, they are not.

- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons
- 900 60deg Low Bounce - Studio Design 1.5 - Pro V1x - SG4Sun Mountain Carry and Great Divider Cart Bags.

I have a callaway 60 degree C-grind wedge because the c-grind produces less bounce.

It was my impression that the C-grind produced "different" bounce, not less. Meaning less in the heel and less in the toe, but on normal shots, it had what is listed in the specs.

- War Bird 15deg 3 Wood
- MX-23 Irons

My pro shop had Titleist, Cleveland, and Callaway X-tour wedges. I handled all of them and liked the feel and look of the Callaways. First I bought the 56 deg because I needed a sand wedge. I liked it so much that I returned a week later to pick up a 52 and 60 wedge. It is a plus that they match the other clubs in my bag. I'm sure the other brands would perform just as well but I am currently very satisfied with the Callaway wedges I have now.

Note: This thread is 5475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!