IGNORED

Ball spin off driver

Note: This thread is 6535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently was at a Ping fitting where they used a Trackman Launch monitor. I went to get a driver fitting. They fit me into a Ping G5 Aldila 75s 9 degrees. They used new Pinnacle range balls. Here are the approx numbers.
Old Driver: Taylor Made 580xd stock stiff shaft 9.5 degrees loft
Ball Speed = 165
Launch Angle = 13.5 degrees
Spin Rate = 3558 rpm

New Driver: Ping G5 Aldila 75s 9 degrees loft
Ball Speed = 165
Launch Angle = 12.8 degrees
Spin Rate = 2538 rpm

How many RPM will a Pro V1x drop versus the Pinnacle range ball?

They had me tee the ball high to hit on the top portion of the face. The trajectory was higher than I have been used to but the fitters and good hitters alike claim that a high trajectory is required for maximum distance.

What other things can be done to reduce the spin rate off the driver?

Swing = Stacked and On Plane when possible.
In My Bag:
Driver: Ping G5 9° Alidila NV 75g Stiff
3-Wood: Nike SQ 15° Diamana Stiff (Stock)
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

• Administrator
Swinging down on the ball = more spin. A lot of people don't think they have a negative angle of attack, but they do. So watch that.

Your launch angle and spin rate are good... but it's odd that they'd use the range rocks. I guess spin may not change MUCH, but it probably will change.

Here's an article you may find interesting:
http://thesandtrap.com/archives/club...cience_van.php

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Swinging down on the ball = more spin. A lot of people don't think they have a negative angle of attack, but they do. So watch that.

When I go on the launch monitor at my course, most of the balls we use are the limited flight Srixon range balls, but occasionally we'll use ProV1x's. The differences in spin is around 1000rpm.

Jeff Gladchun

In my bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R7 Quad, 9.5°, Aldila NV
3 Wood: Titleist 904F, 15°, YS-6+ StiffIrons: Titleist 695CB 3-PWWedges: Titleist Vokey 252.08, SM56.10 SM60.08Putter: Odyssey White Steel #5 Center-ShaftBall: TaylorMade TP Black / Titleist ProV1xHome Course: Oakland Hills...

Wow, 1000 rpm is a lot. More than I would have thought. I guess the best thing to do is see how the flight is on the course with the V1x's.

In My Bag:
Irons: NIKE FORGED SPLIT CAVIY (S300)Wedges: Taylormade RAC Fe2O3 (Rust) 52°/56°/60°Putter: Titleist/Cameron Newport 1.5Ball: Looking for a new...

Old Driver: Taylor Made 580xd stock stiff shaft 9.5 degrees loft

Isn't a launch angle of 13.5 degrees higher then 12.8? Yet you said the new angle was higher then your used to? I'm confused, please explain.

My Bag
Driver: Dunlop Invicta 10.5˚ (Graphite Shaft)
3&5 wood: Lancer Oversize (Graphite)
Irons: Titleist 990 (Steel)
Wedge: Ram FX 57˚(Graphite)Putter: Ram Accubar AB-2Ball: Nike Juice

You're right, I didn't explain the preface to the 13.5 degree launch angle. The fitters had me tee it up higher right away with my driver. So I'm not used to the trajectory on either of the shots that those numbers produced. The preferrred trajectory for me has been lower prior to the fitting. Since the fitting I have been hitting my old driver, waiting for the new one, with the higher tee. It is giving a high trajectory with lots of carry, we'll see how the new club works next week.

In My Bag:

iacas, Thanks for the link to the Titleist fitting article. I did find it interesting. Sounds to me like the Titleist crew were more efficient at fitting than the Ping guys that I went to see.

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 6535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!