IGNORED

60* wedge

Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How useful is a 60* wedge? What kind of situations would call for this club?

Thank You

In my callaway.gif Warbird Bag XXT Stand Bag:

callaway.gif Driver Diablo 9*
callaway.gif Hybrid 3H Diablo 21*
mizuno.gif MP-33's 3-pwcallaway.gifWedge 60* X-Forgedcallaway.gif Putter Ruthfords seriestitleist.gif Nxt Tour Ball

Some folks prefer to use a lob wedge around the green and anywhere inside, say, 60 yards or so. Others only when they have to hit it high and land it soft. For me, it's just a risky club. I have one in my bag and use on occassion, but prefer my 56* anywhere inside 80 yards when at all possible. I can stop it tight when needed and I don't have to worry as much about hitting it thin or scooping under it.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

• Administrator
How useful is a 60* wedge? What kind of situations would call for this club?

For most people, particularly higher handicappers, the general recommendation is to not worry about having one.

When you're good enough with your 54 or 56 degree wedge, you'll know when you need a 60. I rarely use my 60, and the higher the handicap (in general), the more that club costs you than helps you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a 60 degree with 5 degree of bounce and I use it when I need a high shot that lands softly, I started even opening the club face even more and hitting high flop shots with a full swing and it goes about 30-40 yards and lands softly. I have a new shot in my bag that I never had before.

Yes, I feel its important, a few players are even carrying a 64 degree wedge, next time you are between a bunker or water the 60 degree wedge will come in handy.

Be sure you know what bounce you are getting alone with the 60 degree wedge and ask the salesperson what is the best bounce for your game and course you play.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

The biggest problem with a 60 is there is a fine line between hitting it good and hitting it very bad. You just have to practice with it and know how to use it. I use it to hit high, soft shots around the green when there isn't much room for roll. It is scary to use sometimes because it is very hard to hit well. And if you don't hit it well, you will probably be in a worse position than when you started. With practice, it can be a very useful club that you will find you won't use very often.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I have a 60 degree and I like it. It is nice if you are short sided and you have to go over a bunker. The flop shot comes in handy but you have to commit to it. I also use it from 60 yards and in.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

for me the 60 is a very useful club. I do not have success hitting a little running chip with less lofted clubs. I can chip with it, hit it high and softly, and hit a running pitch. I also prefer it out of the bunker compared with a 56 with more bounce.

I would not recommend it to a beginner because there is less margin of error as stated above.

But I use my 60 and 64 almost exclusively around the greens because I just am not very consistant with my 53 or P. But that is me.

Some would say that the running low shot is easier to judge but I just don't have a good feel and lack confidence with that sort of shot.

Brian

I love my 60° wedge. When I was learning to play in middle and high school I went with the 1 shot for everything mentality and spent hours learning to hit it so I could chip over bunkers and water and be confident. Now I use it when I probably shouldn't because I'm more comfortable pitching it to the pin that bumping and running.

A 60* wedge is useful for greenside shots because the ball goes high and lands soft.
Its also a nice club to have because you can lay the face open and hit flop shots with it. A flop shot is a nice shot to have in your aresenal because you will sometimes run into short little shots where a chip wont work (such as if you need to fly the ball over a bunker).
Personally, I wouldnt be without a lob wedge and I disagree with the notion that high-handicappers shouldnt carry a 60* wedge.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I recently bought a 58 degree wedge and have to say it's tough to hit flush with a full swing from the fairway, my typical result is a "red faced - low screamer" from 70 yards. I'm developing a shot which is a mix of a chip and a pitch which i'm using around the greens.

I'm hoping to learn to pitch properly with this club.

I use 56º and 60º depending on where I am and where the flag is. I play on small and very undulated greens with bunkers in front, so I actually use it quite often.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I just put a 60* in my bag. It's getting bent to 58* (soon I hope). I learned to play every shot with a 56* wedge when I started golfing, so I primarily use that. I don't feel that I can do much more with a 60* than I can with a 56*. IMO, that makes it non-versatile. That's why I'm going 54*/58* because I feel that I'll have more options with that set up (and it'll fit my gaps better).
Flop shots are cool with the 60*, but it's one of the riskiest shots you can try. I like it out of the sand because it goes so high, but I could do much more all around with a 58* IMO.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

Surprised to hear everyone saying how hard a 60 is to hit, although I've always (mostly to my detriment) arrived at impact with my hands too far ahead of the ball so scooping isn't really an issue. As for the use of the lob wedge I'd thoroughly recommend you purchase one; for those of us that have to get up and down alot from lies where there's no green to work with, a 60 and a good quality ball are your only hope.

In the bag:

R7 Draw 12.5 degree
Big Bertha (04) 15 degree
F-50 18 degree
NVG Mactec 21 degree hybrid
MP-60 4-PW
Tour Style 54 and 60
Bobby Grace DCT Response

Ball: pro v1x or HX tour in the winter

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 3-wood, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

I also had a hard time first hitting the 54+ degree wedges full swing. the thing is to i just take a very controlled swing if i have to hit a full shot. The difference between my full shot 60 degree and my half shot 60 degree is only 5 yards.

In my bag

909D2 9.5 Driver
Big Bertha Diablo 3 Wood
Burner 5 Wood AP2 Irons 3-W Scotty Cameron Newport Two Pro V1x Ball

I am playing with a pitching wedge, 50*, 54*(that I very seldom use), and
58*. I do most of my chipping and pitching with the 58*. Even though I don't use the 54* much, it does come in handy for the 95 yard shot. I would recommend most players carrying as many wedges as possible. Golf from 120 yards and closer accounts for alot of shots! To accomodate 4 wedges, I carry a 3 wood, 19* hybrid and 4 iron with no discernible gaps.

The 60* wedge is perfect for getting the ball up high, maybe out of a deep bunker and having it land softly. You dont have to worry about it running out.

• 7 months later...
The 60 degree wedge is a very useful club IMHO and I would not be without one either. It is very handy for hitting high shots to short pins, for some downhill chips, or for chipping on faster greens,and also VERY good for shorter bunker shots. I also believe that higher handicappers should not be discouraged from at least experimenting with a 60 degree, because with a little practice the 60 degree can become a valuable asset. Some 60 degree wedges are harder to hit than others, so one should try different 60 degree wedges out before buying. Getting one with the appropriate bounce is probably the most crucial thing. Some folks love the low bounce 60 degree with 4 degrees of bounce, but for some folks and for some golf courses, more bounce is better. For the courses I play 8 or 10 degrees makes for a pretty versatile bounce. I currently use a 56.14 and a 60.10 (Nike VR). With some practice I don't believe the 60 is that much more difficult than the 56 for most shots.

Driver: Taylor Made  Rocketballz Stage 2
3 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
4 wood: Rocketballz Stage 2
Hybrids: Cleveland 20 and 23.5 degree
Irons: Mizuno MP57 5-7, Mizuno MP62 8-9 Wedges: Mizuno MP62 Pitching Wedge, 49 degree,  Titleist Vokey SM4  55.13 (bent from 56.14) Sand Wedge, Titleist Vokey SM4 60.10 Lob wedge

The biggest problem with a 60 is there is a fine line between hitting it good and hitting it very bad. You just have to practice with it and know how to use it. I use it to hit high, soft shots around the green when there isn't much room for roll. It is scary to use sometimes because it is very hard to hit well. And if you don't hit it well, you will probably be in a worse position than when you started. With practice, it can be a very useful club that you will find you won't use very often.

Very true.

If you do get one you need to practice as much as possible with it.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!