IGNORED

Are Hybrids Taking Over Lofted Fairway Woods

Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was looking through one of my boxes of childhood stuff... and was reading a Golf Digest Hot List Article from like 1999...

It got me thinking, when I was a kid I used to carry a 7 and 9 wood... what ever happened to the lofted fairway metals, was it necessarily that hybrids have killed the 7, 9, and 11 wood population, Opinions appreciated...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty sure that's exactly what happened. Personaly, I don't even carry a 5-wood, no reason for it when the 2-hybrid is every bit as long, plus more accurate and more versetile.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Agreed. It's versatility for me. I use my hybrid for trouble shots all the time: punch draws or fades under the trees. It cuts through rough or other weird lies better than a wood. And it's just as good as a 5 wood for full swings, too.
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I carried a 9 wood just a few years ago, as well as a 5 wood. Now I carry 2, 4 and 5 hybrids instead. They are easier to hit from more lies and easier to control. The only advantage of fairway woods is that they tended to be higher. One of my friends did recently dump his hybrid in favor of a 7 wood, though.

The one shot I miss with my 9 wood is the long fairway bunker shot. Because of the loft I could get it out of just about any fairway bunker and hit it close to 185 yards or so in those cases. No I pretty much have to use my 5H to have enough loft to get out of the deep ones, which only carries about 170 on those shots.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

i still rock the 3,5,7 woods all callaway big bertha warbirds...call me nostalgic haha

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

You'll have to pull my 11 wood out of my cold dead hands.

I've won more money with that club than any 2 other clubs combined.

I've tried many hybrids. They're just not for me.

Hybrids may have taken over the 7,9,11 market but I hope not the 3 and 5 market. I have not found a hybrid I like or can hit, I much prefer my woods!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

It seems to me that many, if not most of us, have found it easier to hit the hybrids than the comparable fairway wood under most circumstances and most of us enjoy the versatility of those clubs. I use to carry 3, 5 and 7 woods. For several years, I replaced all three woods with hybrids. Only recently have I tried to work a 3 wood back in the bag for a little extra carry off the tee. It remains to be seen whether or not the 3 wood stays in the bag or is replaced by the hybrid.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I agree, I do think hybrids are taking over the 7+ wood market for sure.

I have a hybrid for my 3 and 4 irons and I love them...but I'm still rocking a 3 and 5 wood!

It's like a perfect marriage.

Driver: G15 9*
Fairway Wood: 904F 15* and 19*
Hybrid 3: Quickstrike II 19*
Hybrid 4: 4DX 23*
Irons: MX-23 5-PWedges: CG14 52* and 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: Laddie X or Gamer

i still rock the 3,5,7 woods all callaway big bertha warbirds...call me nostalgic haha

Nostalgic... there I did it. What ever works though.

You'll have to pull my 11 wood out of my cold dead hands.

couple questions... just curious, but why do you always use "oversize" font?

other question... do you have to scrape the moon dust off the ball when it comes down for a landing, I had a 7-wood way back when, and that thing went high... I can just imagine an 11-wood.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I carry a 3w, 2h, and 9w and then into the irons. The trajectory on the 9w starts low, pulls up, and then drops down with little roll. Its the only club that I can hit that does that and its come in handy more times than I can count to get on the green from a lie that has a tree overhang and then green side bunker. The 2h has replaced the need for a 5 & 7w.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I just purchased a 3H and 7w off of hireko. The 7w is a closeout and I shafted it to a high launch shaft. I will be at the range to hit both today to see which one works for me.

I carry a 3w but can't hit it off the deck for the life of me.

At this point it looks my bag will shape up to be

Driver
Thriver
7w
3h
4-9
Alien sandwedge or pitching wedge
putter

at the level i currently play at, a 3w from the deck to get home from that distance is a higher risk then taking a 7i / wedge to get home in two.

My thriver is a 43" long 360cc titanium head with 14 degree's of loft. For shorter par 4's, I can hit it pretty accurate and get a good setup. Since I can't hit a 3w from the deck, no sense in trying to keep it around.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

couple questions... just curious, but why do you always use "oversize" font?

1. Font size. I don't know if I would call 10 point "oversize" but for me, it's much easier to read. Kinda wish all the posts were that size. I can follow a golf ball out at 250 yards, but I can't read a text message on my phone without reading glasses. (Maybe it's showing up differently on your monitor, is it really THAT big?) 2. Actually, the loft on the club is only 25 degrees, depending on how I try to hit it, it can fly either like the McDonalds Arch out to about 175, or I can hit it more like a 4 iron launch angle out to around 200 (+-). The 175 yarders tend to drop and not roll out. I like that particular shot a lot! (I may now call a successful one of those a "moon duster" , I like that phrase!) I get alot of crap sometimes from playing partners regarding my "Geezer Clubs". As long as they are usually paying me for my skins and greenies, instead of the other way around, I'll take their crap (and their money).

• Administrator
1. Font size. I don't know if I would call 10 point "oversize" but for me, it's

13 point on a computer, yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Font size. I don't know if I would call 10 point "oversize" but for me, it's much easier to read. Kinda wish all the posts were that size. I can follow a golf ball out at 250 yards, but I can't read a text message on my phone without reading glasses. (Maybe it's showing up differently on your monitor, is it really THAT big?)...

You could always hit ctrl & = at the same time to increase the text size in your browser (its a fairly uniform command).

But to answer the original question - yes, hybrids are taking over. Though it's gonna be tough when I finally add another wedge. I LOVE MY 5 WOOD! I can't tell you how many times its given me a respectable score when flubbing my drive just past the front tees.

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

They did for me....quickly.

Laid off the game for a few years.....got back into it 12 months ago.......revamped my woods.......gamed a 7 wood for a while to good success......gave it up to a 3 hybrid without a second thought.....this was after giving up my 4 iron to a 4 hybrid a month prior.

Hybrids are unreal....would've never quit playing if I had them before my layoff from golf.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I dumped my 5 wood, & 3-4 irons for 2 hybrids. I brought back the 3 & 4 late last year, but yanked them not long after, probably for good! A few hybrids in the bag is awesome. The 3 wood will always be there.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!