IGNORED

Full and partial swing wedge spin

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK i can suck the ball bak 10 ft with my 58 and 52* and sometimes my PW. My question is how do i control this( make it spin when i want and stop dead when i want). I am very tired of seeing my ball land 5 ft away and having a 20 ft putt.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

Ah, my problem to a T. I saw many Pro v1's roll backwards past the hole and into a pond in front of the green at my home course.

Well, I figured out it was my swing angle. If I swung really steep and cut into it hard, I could draw it back 20+ feet with my X-tour lob wedge. But if I swung a bit flatter, almost a draw sing for an iron, that the ball would check, and not roll back. That cut 3-5 shots off my score immediately, mainly because I'm terrible at long puts.

Tuli kokko, iliman lintu,
Havukka, tuolt' tuulten päältä,
Litti lintu, syöksy sääksi,
Sinitaivon selänteiltä.
Taylormade Burner driverTiger Shark 3 wood (blah)Titlelist 5 woodNike Sumo Irons 4- A wedge (graphite shafts)Callaway X-tour lob wedgeJack Nicholas Putter (it...

I have experienced similar issues. My spin was just totally inconsistent, and it seemed more often than not, the backspin would occur at the least opportune times (hurt rather than helped). I switched to the Pro V1x and have found that the spin is more consistent. When I hit it well with my SW and LW it takes a big hop then spins back to near the original mark. That is perfect for me, however my bigger problem is striking it consistently and hitting my target :(

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

A lot of factors to consider; square vs. V grooves, lie, slope/angle of the green you're hitting to, etc...but from a purely swing aspect, backspin is affected by the angle of attack and acceleration through impact. The steeper the angle and more you're accelerating, the more spin you'll get.

Other than the "coolness" factor (which I get), I never understood why you'd want to spin a ball back more than a foot or two. You're just making the ball move away from the hole.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

A lot of factors to consider; square vs. V grooves, lie, slope/angle of the green you're hitting to, etc...but from a purely swing aspect, backspin is affected by the angle of attack and acceleration through impact. The steeper the angle and more you're accelerating, the more spin you'll get.

Grooves are kind of a misnomer. From a clean lie the type of grooves doesn't influence the shot at all. But when in the rough, the square groves with more volume act to channel more moisture and grass away from the club face. This allows for better contact on the ball. And for your spin. For less spin, take more club and swing 3/4. For more spin take one more club and swing more aggressively.

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

You'll sometimes hear the commentators mention how Tiger, or others, hit a "dead hands" wedge to reduce spin. You have to reduce the compression of the ball against the turf to make it spin less.

I quit playing high spin balls because on average I come out ahead with a ball that spins less. If you can't control how you strike the ball to get a variety of results then the spin rate becomes unpredictable and hurts more than it helps.

SubPar

You might want to play around with different balls. Certain courses I play have really good zoysia fairways and I will spin the ball more at those courses so I use a different ball. Courses that use bermuda I will use my regular ball. I have found that sometimes it is just about the conditions of the course.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• Administrator
Other than the "coolness" factor (which I get), I never understood why you'd want to spin a ball back more than a foot or two. You're just making the ball move away from the hole.

There are a lot of times when I want to juice a ball. Here's one: hole on the front of the green. Throw it past the flag. If it spins, it's close. If not, I'm still putting.

You have to reduce the compression of the ball against the turf to make it spin less.

Though a good visual image, nobody actually "compresses the ball against the turf."

How you - anyone - can change the spin depends on a lot. The simplest is of course more club and a 3/4 swing. You can change your follow through too, that works for some people.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You guys must be he-men..ive never spun back a ball more than 2 or 3 inches on a half swing...
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

There are a lot of times when I want to juice a ball. Here's one: hole on the front of the green. Throw it past the flag. If it spins, it's close. If not, I'm still putting.

I agree in some circumstances, but not 10 feet or more as the OP indicated. You're more likely to back it up off the green in that situation. Particularly with 1/2, 3/4 and full wedges. The point I was trying to make is to control your distance before trying to control how much jizz you can put on a ball.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Though a good visual image, nobody actually "compresses the ball against the turf."

So when they talk about trapping the ball to spin it more, what are they trapping it against? Can you spin the ball just as much out of the rough as off a firm fairway, as long as there is no grass behind the ball?

I guess my mental image was imperfect. I had always assumed the act of hitting down on ball would pinch it against the ground compressing it more against the clubface... Sort of like spinning a ping-pong ball by pinching it. I know when I hit off a rubber mat I can spin a ball back 15-20 feet sometimes. SubPar

Try taking more club. Instead of hitting a full 60 degree from say 100 yards hit a 3/4 56. Or take a 3/4 9 iron instead of hitting a pitching wedge. Choke up and inch or 2 and swing smooth. This will take off spin and also give you more control.

the ball compresses against the club face not the ground because after the first millisecond of impact the ball rolls up the face and doesn't touch the ground.
and i never have this problem the greens at my course are hard even a nice vokey sm 56 shot doesn't spin back 10 feet

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

• Administrator
So when they talk about trapping the ball to spin it more, what are they trapping it against?

They're talking about a mental image. It doesn't actually move downward.

What he says:
the ball compresses against the club face not the ground because after the first millisecond of impact the ball rolls up the face and doesn't touch the ground.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!