IGNORED

Do you have golf friends that lie about there score constantly?

Wisconsin Golfer
Note: This thread is 5461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a few friends who are constantly not counting all there putts, drive overs, or drops. This is worse than 1 or 2 gimmies and / or a mulligan, I could live with that.
These guys think and tell people that they are way better golfers than they are. I also get sick & tired of losing by a couple of strokes. When I could win if only they counted everything.
Does anyone else have this problem?

In My Limited Edition "Sir Isaac Newton Caricature" Big Bertha Tour Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3
Hybrid: Big Bertha Heavenwood 3h
Irons And Wedges: Big Bertha X-12 3-Sw And
60* Vokey Spin Milled Oil-Can Lob-WedgePutter: White Hot Xg Sabertooth and a Futura Phantom Balls: Hx Hot Bite...

I have a few friends who are constantly not counting all there putts, drive overs, or drops. This is worse than 1 or 2 gimmies and / or a mulligan, I could live with that.

Oh yeah! I played with a guy who kept dropping his ball near my drives because I was longer. He'd hit two balls each time and taking the best one. Then at the end he was "4 strokes" over me.....yeah.....

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

Just count his real score to yourself and when he tells you about his great 84 that day, you can tell him about his great 97.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

One of the guys I used to play with spent all his time in the trees and in the bunker. He rarely ever drove the ball into the fairway. At the end of the round he would never fail to beat all of us. It didn't bother us. We teased the you-know-what out of this guy. In fact, the more we teased him the lower his scores were!

Man, what a question. I have met so few people that actually shoot what they say they do. Saw a commercial the other day for the Top Flite Gamer. It was funny, but had some truths to it. Asking, "Do you count....." gimmes, winter rules, mulligans, etc... And many golfers I have played with do all three (and then some). Average guy says he shot an 85 might have truthfully barely broke 100. Just count your score the right way. There is not interpretation to the rules. They are what they are. Atleast this way you can be proud of your score when you reach some milestones. When I finally break 90 on a regular basis, it will mean something. But only because I play the game the way it was designed.

It's not a huge deal to me-I'm usually just happy to be on the golf course, and I know that I'm responsible for my own score. Even when I'm competing with someone, I usually allow a mulligan on each 9. Like the earlier poster said, it's not too hard to keep track of both scores by yourself if need be. It's a little frustrating when someone you are a clear 10-12 shots better than tells you how they just shot a round near what you yourself usually shoot...but then again, those 10-12 strokes always seem to resurface when we play together. ;)

One guy I just started golfing with had this for me yesterday...
I ask him what he got to mark on the scorecard, his response: "Well it depends if you count the third putt I missed"
Priceless
In My Bag:
Driver: R7 Limited Matrix Ozik X-con Stiff
3 Wood: 909F3 Aldila Voodoo Stiff
Irons: AP1 3-PW DG S200
Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 54° NickelWedge: Forged 60°Putter: Rossa Balls: Pro V1XAvatar: Nicklaus North Golf Course, Whistler BC

My constant playing partner is actually a habitual liar about everything on top of golf. The reason it bothers me is because we are dang close to eachother and pretty competitive. I would say he has a slight edge over 100 rounds... It never gets to me because I expect it unless I'm having a bad day. He's the kind of guy that misses putts inside 4 feet and just counts them as gimme's. A couple rounds ago I suggested that we should start playing a little more serious and putt everything out(I always have anyways) so we could calculate our real handicaps. He agreed so that has now gotten better for the most part. On the round of 9 we played today I shot a 41 and he shot a 43 with about 7 mulligans. It is more so laughable now that I am beating him pretty regularly, but there are always those days that it still gets to me and really ruins my round mentally...

In my Ozone stand bag:
Driver: 909 D2 9.5
3 Wood: MT-15
Irons: 1025-C 3-P
Gap: Spin Milled 52-06 Oil-CanSand: Spin Milled 56-08 RawLob: Spin Milled 60-13 Oil-CanPutter: AntiguaBall: Z-Star X

I have a friend who would leave putts short and ask me "Are you gonna give me that?" I always said "Sure" no matter the length, because I don't care! If he wants to take gimmies on 4 footers that's his business.

What I didn't realize until later was that he interpreted a "Gimmie" as scoring as if his LAG PUT WENT IN!!!!

Haha...talk about shaving 18 strokes off your round! He doesn't do that anymore.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I have a friend who would leave putts short and ask me "Are you gonna give me that?" I always said "Sure" no matter the length, because I don't care! If he wants to take gimmies on 4 footers that's his business.

Wow-that is a new one! To me at least.

Just count his real score to yourself and when he tells you about his great 84 that day, you can tell him about his great 97.

I'd probably need a scientific calculator just to figure out the random chance he would hit the ball once to catch up....

LD F Speed 9.5 Driver Stiff
MX 700 3W Stiff
MP Fli Hi 2, 3, 4
MP 52 5i-9i
MP-T 47.06, 51.06, & 58.10 White Hot XG Teron Putter ProV1x ShoesQUOTE:"I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones" - Terry "The Wedge Guy" Koehler

One of the guys I play with occassionally is an old fraternity brother. For years we have called his scoring system the 'Jr. modified scoring system'. This system basically consists of shots that do not count if he's not happy with them, lost balls that suddenly are found in good locations (a couple times we have found his actual ball, but he says he found his in another location so we just leave the real one laying there), gimme putts and putts that he hits a second time while it's still rolling (stroke doesn't count as long as ball is still moving). In more recent years his system evolved more to the point of beating a couple of the other people we play with more than his old system. If those people got a double bogey he'll say he got a bogey or double, but never worse. He still uses the philosophy of 'losing a ball is penalty enough' so he never takes penalty strokes.

None of us care that he does this because we do not play for anything anyway. In fact, it kind of makes the game even more fun as we try to figure his 'real score' in contrast to his 'reported score'. We have him on one round as shooting 129 and he said 93 - at least he was close to reality.

He has gone on a week long golf trip to Myrtle Beach with some other friends a couple of times who are golf rules nuts. The first time they just let him go and accepted his scores but the second time they called him on every single one of his rules breeches and he ended up shooting over 140. Needless to say that was the last time he went on that annual trip with them.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Most everyone I golf with is accurate with their scores, barring one who generally quits keeping score after a few holes (although he points out his pars if he gets one).
I think some of my buddies probably wonder about some of the scores I have shot when they aren't around. Seems I shoot better playing solo (i think it is a concentration thing). I will thell them about my low score while playing with them, then shoot significantly higher. Fortunately, they have seen a few low rounds from me in the past couple seasons so I think they are more inclined to believe the potential is there.
We all have fairly similar games and understand that usually the high rounds are caused by one or two blow up holes.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

One of the guys I play with regularly is bad about it. I used to be bad about it too but not anymore. Saturday we were playing and he hit his drive OB on #5. He never saw the ball but I did and pointed out where it went OB. Instead of dropping one at the point where his ball went over the fence, he dropped one in the fairway about 50 yds closer to the hole. After we putted out he wrote down a 5 on the card (par 4 hole). I asked him if he found his ball (I knew he didn't) and he said no. Then he admitted he didn't take a penalty stroke for losing his ball. He did the same thing on the next hole too. At the end of the round I had beat him by 1 stroke according to the score card. Truth be told I probably beat him at least 5 strokes but I didn't say anything because I really don't care. If we were playing a serious competitive round it would be a different story. As it was, we were just knocking it around. He's only cheating himself because he thinks he's playing better than he really is.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Ive played often with this guy who will improve the lie of just about every single ball he hits..lol. And at the end of the round he is like " i shot 80!" after hitting off of near perfect lies the entire round. He isnt a serious golfer, and does it mostly for excercise and fun, so we let it slide. But should this guy really be calling himself a single digit handicap?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I suppose I'm pretty lucky in that all of the guys I play with regularly keep score correctly. We play the ball as it lies, we hit provisionals if necessary, etc., etc. That's not to say that if someone is having a bad day that we won't hit a mulligan or whatever, but at that point you quit keeping score and the round essentially becomes a practice round. Now there are plenty of times that I'll pair up with people when I'm playing alone who may take liberties with the rules but that doesn't bother me one way or the other. If someone wants to take the honors on the tee after playing a mulligan (or two) that's fine with me. I have had it happen where a stranger I'm playing with takes excesive liberties with the rules and then makes a big deal about their score when it's over, but again if that makes them happy then so be it. The certainly won't play in a tournment or money game, but I don't play for money and I've never seen it in a tournment.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

My cousin did that a few times and i don't care.

Golf is a game that true to yourself.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

...I think some of my buddies probably wonder about some of the scores I have shot when they aren't around. Seems I shoot better playing solo (i think it is a concentration thing). I will thell them about my low score while playing with them, then shoot significantly higher...

Some of my friends probably also question my game from when I play by myself or with other friends. I have a couple of people that I NEVER seem to play well with and a couple others that I have some of my all-time low scores with. Not sure why this is, but it's pretty consistenly true. The people I play the best with are not good golfers so I can kind of see that simply because I never feel competive and always relaxed. The one's I don't play as well with just seem to take me out of my rhythym or something - they're not better than me or highly competive people, but scores just seem higher.

Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

Note: This thread is 5461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!