Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shades9323

Differences between Titleist drivers;975d 975j 983k

17 posts in this topic

I am searching for a smaller head driver and these 3 seem to fit the bill well. What are the differences between these drivers? Thanks

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Had the 975D and 983K for quite a while at times. Liked them both. 983K bigger than 975D. Both excellent though. 983K a bit easier to hit. Personally, I don't like either of them as much as my lovely 983E which I've had for a while and will take to the grave .

I have read somewhere that the 983K isn't legal any longer. It might have been another thread on here. Is this true?

I have read somewhere that the 983K isn't legal any longer. It might have been another thread on here. Is this true?

I've never heard anything like that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think maybe the 983 line was one of the first Titleist offerings to use a different type of metal in the head but wouldn't swear to it. It has been so long it is hard to keep track. The 975 is a good club, but probably not as good or as easy to hit as a 983. You could probably get either real cheap. With a little patience, you could probably get both a 975 and 983 for under $100 combined so it is almost worth it to buy both and see which one you like best.

Personally, I don't like either of them as much as my lovely 983E which I've had for a while and will take to the grave.

I am the same way. I am going to keep mine until I find something I can hit straighter and further, which is really hard for me to find.

It looks like some of the 983K's are nonconforming while most should still conform. Here's a photo that should help.

Yes, the illegal club has a special marking on the bottom. Probably be real hard to find one, should be plenty of the legal ones around.

Yes, the illegal club has a special marking on the bottom. Probably be real hard to find one, should be plenty of the legal ones around.

Oh, yeah, that likely goes back to the years when the R&A; had a CoR of 0.86 instead of the 0.83 the USGA stuck to.

Both are now 0.83.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It looks like some of the 983K's are nonconforming while most should still conform. Here's a photo that should help.

A 6.5 degree driver!!!!!!!

A 6.5 degree driver!!!!!!!

No chit! That's gotta be harder than hitting a 0.5 iron!

I prefer the smaller headed 975D to any driver I've hit. Great control and distance off the tee. I've had mine since they first came out and haven't looked back.

No chit! That's gotta be harder than hitting a 0.5 iron!

You would think that I hit a 6.5 off the tee with my super low trajectory. But I hit a 10.5.

I am 2/3 of the way to having all 3 so far. Jumped on ebay and bought a 975d for $7.25 and a 975j for $10.75.

What type of results would I be looking at with either a 7.5 degree 975D driver or a 975j 9.5 both in  reg flex. Just curious.

I have a 983E, agree with previous posters that it's not going anywhere.  It's not my #1 driver, but it still gets played quite a bit.  I've hit the different 975 versions, nice drivers, but I think the biggest jump in Titleist driver playability (is that a word?) occurred with the 983 series (since then they've all been relatively forgiving).

I owned a 976R which was even smaller than the 975D.  Sold it a while back for peanuts.  You could hit it off the deck with its more shallow, but classic, profile.

Neither the 905, the 907 nor the 909 have been enough of a difference to take my 983K out of the bag...  Waiting to try the 910, which looks promising...

My 907 is a little longer on average, and a little more forgiving.  But the 983 is just as long if not longer on a perfectly struck shot, and it has a lower trajectory.

Originally Posted by TakeDeadAim

Neither the 905, the 907 nor the 909 have been enough of a difference to take my 983K out of the bag...  Waiting to try the 910, which looks promising...