IGNORED

Differences between Titleist drivers;975d 975j 983k

Note: This thread is 4819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am searching for a smaller head driver and these 3 seem to fit the bill well. What are the differences between these drivers? Thanks

Had the 975D and 983K for quite a while at times. Liked them both. 983K bigger than 975D. Both excellent though. 983K a bit easier to hit. Personally, I don't like either of them as much as my lovely 983E which I've had for a while and will take to the grave .

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have read somewhere that the 983K isn't legal any longer. It might have been another thread on here. Is this true?

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

It looks like some of the 983K's are nonconforming while most should still conform. Here's a photo that should help.

http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/clubs/2003407.jpg

In my Ogio Carry Bag,

Driver Titleist 905S 9.5*
3 Wood Titleist 906F2 15*
Hybrid Nickent 3DX DC 17* Irons Titleist 704.cb 3,5-PW Wedges Adams Tom Watson PVD 52*, 56*, 60*Putter Cleveland Classic 1Ball Nike One Tour, Callaway Tour i

• Administrator
I have read somewhere that the 983K isn't legal any longer. It might have been another thread on here. Is this true?

I've never heard anything like that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think maybe the 983 line was one of the first Titleist offerings to use a different type of metal in the head but wouldn't swear to it. It has been so long it is hard to keep track. The 975 is a good club, but probably not as good or as easy to hit as a 983. You could probably get either real cheap. With a little patience, you could probably get both a 975 and 983 for under $100 combined so it is almost worth it to buy both and see which one you like best.

Personally, I don't like either of them as much as my lovely 983E which I've had for a while and will take to the grave.

I am the same way. I am going to keep mine until I find something I can hit straighter and further, which is really hard for me to find.

It looks like some of the 983K's are nonconforming while most should still conform. Here's a photo that should help.

Yes, the illegal club has a special marking on the bottom. Probably be real hard to find one, should be plenty of the legal ones around.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

• Administrator
Yes, the illegal club has a special marking on the bottom. Probably be real hard to find one, should be plenty of the legal ones around.

Oh, yeah, that likely goes back to the years when the R&A; had a CoR of 0.86 instead of the 0.83 the USGA stuck to.

Both are now 0.83.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A 6.5 degree driver!!!!!!!

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

A 6.5 degree driver!!!!!!!

No chit! That's gotta be harder than hitting a 0.5 iron!

What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I prefer the smaller headed 975D to any driver I've hit. Great control and distance off the tee. I've had mine since they first came out and haven't looked back.

Driver: 975D 9.5
3 Wood: 975F 14.5
2 Hybrid: 909H 19
Irons: 3-PW VR Split Cavity
Wedges: VR 52/10 & 56/10Putter: White Hot Tour #1Ball: ONE Platinum/Tour

No chit! That's gotta be harder than hitting a 0.5 iron!

You would think that I hit a 6.5 off the tee with my super low trajectory. But I hit a 10.5.

• 1 year later...

What type of results would I be looking at with either a 7.5 degree 975D driver or a 975j 9.5 both in  reg flex. Just curious.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I have a 983E, agree with previous posters that it's not going anywhere.  It's not my #1 driver, but it still gets played quite a bit.  I've hit the different 975 versions, nice drivers, but I think the biggest jump in Titleist driver playability (is that a word?) occurred with the 983 series (since then they've all been relatively forgiving).

I owned a 976R which was even smaller than the 975D.  Sold it a while back for peanuts.  You could hit it off the deck with its more shallow, but classic, profile.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

My 907 is a little longer on average, and a little more forgiving.  But the 983 is just as long if not longer on a perfectly struck shot, and it has a lower trajectory.

Originally Posted by TakeDeadAim

Neither the 905, the 907 nor the 909 have been enough of a difference to take my 983K out of the bag...  Waiting to try the 910, which looks promising...

Note: This thread is 4819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!