IGNORED

Best iron out of the rough

Note: This thread is 4866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's a good iron to get out of the rough? My wife plays Ping G10's but finds them hard to use out of really thick rough. She also can't hit her hybrid from the rough and is interested in a 'rescue' iron that will cut through the rough and give her a little distance. She has a Mizuno 56* MP-R that works great, but doesn't give her a lot of distance. She's thinking along the lines of a 6-iron.

I was looking at one of the Mizuno MX models but would like to hear what others think.

BTW - she got the idea from me, as I carry an extra 6-iron right now that I got as a free demo. I use it for a lot of trouble shots since it has a stiff shaft and I don't care if I beat it up.

If the rough is very thick and sticky then I probably wouldn't use less than a 9 iron. Sometimes you have to take your punishment.
I can't think of many 'rescue' 6 irons, maybe try the cleveland XLi 6 iron from their hybrid set. Just an idea.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

g10's should be pretty good out of the rough....its got everything you need: lots of weight down low, substantial enough sole, rounded leading edge and a little bit of bounce angle so the club doesn't dig. it may just be an issue of not swinging hard enough to get out of the thick stuff. when you say you want something to cut through the rough, you mean glide through the rough right? a club that can cut rough is likely to dig and make it harder to get the ball out.

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

g10's should be pretty good out of the rough....its got everything you need: lots of weight down low, substantial enough sole, rounded leading edge and a little bit of bounce angle so the club doesn't dig. it may just be an issue of not swinging hard enough to get out of the thick stuff. when you say you want something to cut through the rough, you mean glide through the rough right? a club that can cut rough is likely to dig and make it harder to get the ball out.

I think that's part of the problem - the G10 won't penetrate the grass when the ball is deep in the rough, and it makes it tough to get good contact with ball. The wide sole and rounded leading edge make it catch up in the grass, which result in skulled shots that end up going 10 yards. This is the same problem with the hybrids.

Mizuno claims their bevelled leading edge helps get through the rough, and I'm wondering if this is true and if there are other clubs that do the same. BTW, this is pretty thick, dense rough I'm talking about. Since we've had so much rain in the North East the last couple of months, the stuff is growing like crazy!

If the rough is really dense then nobody would be able to get out with a 6 iron. The correct club would be a 9 iron or wedge.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

To me the hybrid is the club. If it is particularly dense rough just concentrate on really hitting down on the ball. It'll come out low and you'll get good distance.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

• 1 year later...

Beginner who gets into the rough quite often. When landing in the rough(have no idea the thickness or type of grass, lets just say decent amount of rough not pro course caliber but enough to agitate) and you are within reach of the green and normally can land the 58 wedge onto the green what is the best club to hit to get the same results or do you not try to land it on the green because of the rough and basically concede a shot to put yourself in better scoring position? I hope this makes sense.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post

I think that's part of the problem - the G10 won't penetrate the grass when the ball is deep in the rough, and it makes it tough to get good contact with ball. The wide sole and rounded leading edge make it catch up in the grass, which result in skulled shots that end up going 10 yards. This is the same problem with the hybrids.

Mizuno claims their bevelled leading edge helps get through the rough, and I'm wondering if this is true and if there are other clubs that do the same. BTW, this is pretty thick, dense rough I'm talking about. Since we've had so much rain in the North East the last couple of months, the stuff is growing like crazy!

I don't think the G10's are the problem. To get out of really thick rough, you need clubhead speed, and strength, which puts most women at a disadvantage. My wife finally conceded to this, and now just grabs her PW when faced with this type shot.

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

Hinge early and come down steep is better than buying some new irons. I'm guessing that she does not have the strength to fight through the rough and if that's the case she just needs to poke it back out onto the fairway with a wedge.

« Keith »

Note: This thread is 4866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!