IGNORED

How many people use an Approach/ Gap wedge?

Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've got a 50* vokey that i use ALOT. I LOVE it for short chips and pitch shots around the green.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in the 4-wedge club. I think I'd take my 54 out before I took my gap wedge out....but I don't that's an issue. None will be leaving my bag anytime soon.

WHAT'S IN MY BAG

Driver: TaylorMade RBZ 9.5 degree; 3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 15 degree; Hybrids: TaylorMade RBZ 19 degree; Irons: Titleist AP1; Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/60; Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback; Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome+  Grips:  PURE Pro

I carry 4 wedges as well (45, 50, 56, 60). If I had to take one out, and I do when I carry a 3-wood, I take out the GW and then grip down on my PW.
Whats in my bag

Driver: HiBORE XLS 9.5
Fairway Woods: Speed LD/F 5 Wood
Irons: X-20 Tour 3-PWWedges: CG12 Black Pearls 50, 56, & 60Putter: Tri-Ball SRTBalls: NXT TourUSGA Handicap: ???Low 9 Holes (This season): 37Low 18 Holes (This season): 76 (+4)

I own a 52 and I am working it into the arsenal this season. I use 56 green side and my 60 out of the sand. I know thats a bit backwards and most SW are 56 but this is what works best for me. At 75yds out I can put it on with my 56, but at 90-120 I'm too close for pitching wedge and too far for the 56. I had good success with it on Sunday, so I'm confident it will start to come around.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

• 4 years later...

I use Cleveland REG. 588 Gunmetal Wedges: 51 °/6 (GW), 57 °/10 (SW) and 64 °/8 (LW). The PW with the TA-5s is 45 ° and I really use it for full shots. I go to the 51 ° for shots inside 100 yards, pitching, and green-side work. It is my preferred wedge. This system works for me, but some people like to use the PW for a variety of shots. I think the best thing to do is experiment and see what works best for you.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I carry four wedges, PW, AW SW and LW  47*, 52*, 56*, 60*

I use each and every one so often that I took my 19* 3-iron out of my bag so i could keep all 4.  Nothing is better than having a club you can consistently and confidently hit a certain distance. I believe it improves my short game immensely.  but as for the gap wedge, in my game, I feel it is a necessity, as i otherwise have a 140- 110 yard dropoff between my 47* pw and 56* sw. the 52* gap fills that void nicely, and reminds me of my old PW, which i used to hit 120 every time.  At times my 3-iron will find it's way in, but only on tight courses with punishing greens, although, usually at the expense of dropping my 5w or driver.

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

This thread is really old so I won't waste my time telling the OP that you absolutely should have a gap wedge in your bag, but I will throw in my wedge set also. I carry four wedges, used to be five, but a different four than most people who have been posting that they carry four:

PW: 46* - Ping i20 from my set

UW: 50* - Ping i20 from my set

GW: 53* - Cleveland Tour Action

SW: 56* - Cleveland CG15

The 5th was a Cleveland CG10 60*, but ultimately I decided to keep my 4 iron in the bag and take out the 60*. I think a lot of the time the 60+* wedges are asking a lot of yourself to execute with. It's difficult to consistently find the sweet spot with that much loft, so I opted for two inbetween wedges instead. I can hit the flop shots with the 56* anyway. Carrying the two gap type wedges gives me a club for a full swing from like 110 and also from right at 100. Since I like chipping with the Clevelands, it also gives me a lower lofted wedge for those shots that I can run a little bit since the 56* checks up pretty quick and the tour action doesn't have quite that much spin.

48, 52, 56, 60 for me

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

48, 52, 56, 60 for me

. I guess I need to update my sig!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I've been using a PW (48*), 54, and 60 setup for about 10 years. That left a good 20yd gap from my PW to 54* but I dealt with it best I could and learned to take off the PW.  But nowadays with the typical PW much stronger than before, its almost a must to have a Gap wedge as the PW is more like a 10 iron now.
I recently bought a new set of irons.  Because my new PW is at 46*, a gap became a must.  I went with a 50, 54, and 58 leaving a perfect 15yd gap between each one. The 3 iron came out of the bag.

It took me a few rounds to get used to this setup but I now I have a bit more options around the green and approaches.  The best thing about the gap is the added option with chipping as I now have a new carry:roll ratio to work with.  I can chip with a carry of 5yds and 8yds, but very hard to carry 6 or 7.  With the added GW, I can still chip a 5 yd carry and get a bit more roll than my SW.  So in some ways, more wedges simplifies things rather complicates.

Acer XF Ti 10.5 / GDI G60
Mizuno JPX 825 Hybrids 16* and 19* / Steel Fiber HLS75
Mizuno MP H4 (4-PW) / Steel Fiber i95 cw
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey ProType Tour #7

It fills an otherwise big gap for me.  My irons are over-lofted (PW is 42.5, AW 64, GW 49.5) so I don't even think of them having numbers.  My old PW was 47 so I think of my AW as the same type of performer.  I have a lot of success with my 49.5 and don't like my 52 at all, so I'll hit a hard GW more often than the 52 degree.

I've been using one (49*) for about 6 months.   Since I added it, I have probably used it more than any other club in my bag.   It is my go to club for most chips, and it fills the gap between my 54* sand wedge (100 yds) and my 44* pitching wedge (120 yds).

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I currently use a 52* Cleveland Tour Action 900 Gap Wedge. I love it. However I just ordered the Ping Gap Wedge that comes with my new set of G25 irons. It's 50*.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a PW at 48* and three more wedges, two Mizunos and a Vokey, at 52*, 56*, and 60*. I use my 60* Vokey for flop shots or short-sided pitches. My 56* is my sand wedge because it has more bounce than the other two.

I have one, and it's my 100-yard club as well as my go-to club around the green.

Same here. My 52 is used almost 75% of the time around the green as well as shots below 70 yards. I also carry a 56 for bunker shots and a 60 just in case I want to flop a shot or get myself out of trouble behind trees. Basically my approach wedge is utilized LOTS.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I had used an AW for awhile but replaced it with a 2i then broke some other clubs and now I have that AW back in my bag. My primary reason is, since progressing in skill level, I have learned my yardages with half and 3/4 swings. My AW was a 50 and now I believe it bridges the gap between my PW (45) and SW (56 bent to a 55) much better.

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

I have an RBZ 45º PW as part of my iron set and I carry 52º, 56º and 60º ATV wedges. I use my 52º "gap" wedge more than my pitching wedge, so there's no chance I'd be taking it out of my bag. I love the 60º wedge too, but the 52º wedge is probably my favourite club.

i use mine often from 115-100 yards out. its also my favorite club to chip and run with from the fringe....

I second this. ^

:titleist: Woods :titleist: Irons :titleist: Wedges :cleve: Putter

Note: This thread is 3961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!