IGNORED

Beginner: Hybrids or Irons / and which set

Note: This thread is 5448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im a beginner, started playing last summer with some old club, but looking to get more serious and buy my own. A few questions I have is either to get a hybrid set or regular irons? and which set to get,

righty
300-400 price range
1yr experience

Local shops are golf galaxy, golfsmith, dicks, sport authority and of course anywhere online, as you can tell not looking to break the bank but looking for a nice solid set to continue learning on. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you already have clubs and youre "looking to get more serious"..... I'd save my money and practice with what I had.

After you actually get serious.... I think then you should think about clubs.

This post is written under the impression that 300-400 is your budget to a complete set of clubs new clubs, btw. So take it for what it's worth.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

yeah, the clubs i have now are horrible, like really really bad.
I have driver, putter, and pw so i needs just the iron mostly, and I'm looking to get a set of new irons so 300-499 for an iron set.

If you decide to go hybrid there is a Cleveland Hibore Iron Set available at pgatour.com for $400 which is half price. I think you are better to go with a regular set of irons though. Get something forgiving. As a newbie to the game myself I went with King Cobra S9's a couple of years ago and I"m still happy with them and using them. A little pricier than what you want to spend if you buy them new but I bet you could find a set online somewhere around the $400 area.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

Can't go wrong with any of those. I saw there was a ben hogan set at golfsmith also. I love Ben Hogan stuff.
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Hogan-Edge.../dp/B001IURSYM

Then take the money you save and get some Edge CFT hybrids which you can get really cheap right now.

Not sure what those link you to but the BH Edge CFT iron set which includes 3-4 hybrids 5-W Irons are only $230. Also Nickent iron set is $180 as well. I just like the look of the BH's better.

« Keith »

yeah, the clubs i have now are horrible, like really really bad.

If it's just the irons, I change my mind...... I was thinking you wanted a complete set of clubs for that money.

Best deal I've seen off the top of my head is http://www.golfsmith.com/ppage.php?s...=R&seg4;=&seg5;= That's a horrible price online.... but my local golfsmith is having a "tent sale" and they have that set brand new for only $250 (not sure if its the same 4-gw setup though). They also have burner woods for $99. Nike 5000 drivers for $99. everything brand new. And in that price range for irons I think you can get just about any olderm clearance model iron you want and be very happy. My brother just got a set of Nike CCi's (the forged ones though) for ~$260 brand new from mortons golf shop. There definitely seems to be plenty of good deals going on at this time. And even if you don't want to look for a deal, the normal price on all those clubs basically dropped to the ~400 range so you have a ton of things in your budget.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Many manfs. make sets that start with regular looking cavity backed PW, short irons, offset mid irons and morph into hybrid long irons.

I've seen some recent sales on such NIKE and Callaway iron sets.

Taylor Made has some awesome sales going on irons that are very forgiving but more "conventional" in set up. PING G5 iron sets can still be custom ordered for under $400....they are custom fitted to you for that price.

Make sure they check your average swingspeed and mate you to the right flex shaft with whatever set you get. Fighting the wrong shaft flex is no fun.....at any time....but expecially when you are getting into the game.

Good luck.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

just got back w/ 2008 lynx hxi hybrids, guy at golfsmith told me they should work out, going to the range tomorrow so hopefully they'll work out.

I had a buddy that wanted to get more serious, he had a set that he had bought from target. Just some crappy irons and a driver that sounded like you hit a trash can.

He asked me for advice I told him to go Hybrid/Iron set, there isnt a 3/4 Iron that will give you the forgiveness that a Hybrid will, IMO. I dont remember the set that he decided on but he went from shooting 120s to solid 100s. I would say thats a good/great improvment.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

just got back w/ 2008 lynx hxi hybrids, guy at golfsmith told me they should work out, going to the range tomorrow so hopefully they'll work out.

You must be excited man. Have fun. Be sure to get out and take a few 1/2 hour lessons. One on the grip One on the stance and ball position One on the fundamentals of the golf swing If nothing else, consider this much. It will pay huge dividends in the coming months/years... Think of it like an intersection. The two roads lead of in a similar direction initially, but the further you go, the further apart the two roads are from one another. Starting off in golf is similar. I wish to god I had taken a series of lessons back then. The game would be so much easier today if I had taken my own advice that I give you. Take a few lessons if you want to learn how to play the game well.

For great prices and very decent performance clubs , go to Hireko. com , I got there my iron 4 and 5, great performance , I reccomend u the Acer High trajectory. Sorry I wrote this before reading your last post. Actually the Lynx for begginers are great clubs for the money, easy to hit, and easy to control!

Note: This thread is 5448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!