IGNORED

What does the 9.5, 10,5, and 12.5 etc mean?

Note: This thread is 5428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking at a new driver but they have them in different numbers. Can anyone explain what the numbers are? Is it just the slope of the club face or is it an offset? I always thought it was the slope angle but one listing stated "offset".

Drivers: Taylor Made Burner 9.5 draw stiff shaft.
Woods: Nike SQ 13* strong 3 wood Steel X-Stiff
Nike SQ 5 wood steel stiff.
Irons: Adams Insight Xtd's.
Putter: Odyssey SRT 2 ball, and White hot #1 Balls: Callaway tour IX, Noodle+,or Callaway Hot Plus or any premium ball.Driver...

Its the loft of the face.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

I'm looking at a new driver but they have them in different numbers. Can anyone explain what the numbers are? Is it just the slope of the club face or is it an offset? I always thought it was the slope angle but one listing stated "offset".

You were right...it's the loft angle.....or slope as you called it of the clubface. Higher lofts should equate to higher launches...all things being equal.

For instance....I had a 6 degree driver once....it went fairly low, carried short and rolled long. I later got the exact same driver in 9 degrees of loft....much better fit for me......higher drives with more carry and less roll. I'm not ashamed to play a 10.5 degree driver now. Most folks getting in the game who lust for a driver also do better (usually) with the higher lofts. I've seen some even go with 13 degrees and game them well. It's all about confidence and what you believe you will hit the best, too.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

the number refers to the loft of the club. so 9.5 would be a lower ball flight suited for players who hit the ball further and the higher lofts for more average strength/ability players. the offset is just a note to say it has offset which helps players with slice and also players who would like to draw the ball.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Getting fitted by a pro is the best option. But generally speaking, most folks use a driver with too stiff a shaft, and not enough loft for their swing speed. Many high handicappers need a 10.5 or higher loft with a regular flex shaft. However, many buy 9 degree drivers with stiff shafts. Getting fitted is the best idea.

the numbers mean the drivers clubface loft.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

I wish there was a place around me that offered lessons,advise,and fittings but as of now I still have not heard of one or seen any signs in course club houses yet. I guess its time to ask around.

Putter: Odyssey SRT 2 ball, and White hot #1 Balls: Callaway tour IX, Noodle+,or Callaway Hot Plus or any premium ball.Driver...

North East Ohio (Ashtabula)

I wish there was a place around me that offered lessons,advise,and fittings but as of now I still have not heard of one or seen any signs in course club houses yet. I guess its time to ask around.

Check out this site. You put in your info and they will tell you what PGA pros are in your area... http://dyn.pga.com/searchtools/instruction/instructors/ Aside from that, calling any pro shop or golf shop should get you plenty of options.

Getting fitted by a pro is the best option. But generally speaking, most folks use a driver with too stiff a shaft, and not enough loft for their swing speed. Many high handicappers need a 10.5 or higher loft with a regular flex shaft. However, many buy 9 degree drivers with stiff shafts. Getting fitted is the best idea.

Yea, it's fairly common knowledge that most folks with 9.5* stiff shafted drivers would play better with a 10.5* stiff. I also read in a recent article that the vast majority of golfers need more than 10* to get the optimal launch angle for them also. I also read that many drivers play more loft than what's shown on the clubface so... not sure if that's true.

What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!