IGNORED

Whatever Happened to "Fore!"

Muttface
Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is is just me or are golfers not yelling "Fore" anymore when their ball looks like it might bean someone?

Four times in the past three outings we've had incidents with balls landing literally within an arm's reach away. Three incidents at one course and the fourth just last Saturday on a different one.

One guy almost got beaned on a tee and the other three came off the tee from adjacent fairways and almost got us as we were walking in the opposite direction. There was not a single warning yell from any of the guys that were teeing off.

I'm not expecting that there won't ever be more close calls; I'd just like some kind of warning so we can duck and cover. A hard hat might not be a bad idea either.

I think I'm going to start pocketing them or smacking them off into the woods.

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers 1897-1935

What timing. Me and my partner got hit yesterday while driving down the fairway in our cart . we were looking for his ball on the edge of the fairway whe I looked up in time to see a line drive coming right at us . It came right into the cart , struck me on the knee and richochetd off my knee into his forearm.

I was fighting mad because I never heard a single fore ! I went right to them to ask if they ever heard of the term , "Fore". No sorry. Finally, one of their group asked if we were okay.

I hate playing municipal courses on the weekends !

One ball almost killed me and knocked out a squirl right next to my leg!!!!!

Driver: Taylor Made Burner 08 10.5
3 Wood: Taylor Made Burner
Irons: Nike Ignite 3 hybrid-pw
Wedge: Titleist Vokey 52 (need cheap 56)
Putter: Maxfli Tad Moore (need new)Ball: ?

On a slow weekend day at a muni I've had the group behind us hit up on us without warning on a par 4 twice. The second time the ball flew by us, I just hit it right back at them while yelling "FORE". The funny thing is it flew straight as an arrow right at them.

« Keith »

It seems like not only are people not yelling fore they also get mad at you for getting in the way of their ball. Happened to me and my father once, some guy hits a ball through the green while we're putting (no fore or anything) and then comes up asking us if we'd seen a ball, when my father confronted him about hitting it at us he got mad and started threatening to kick us off the course because he was on the playing committee.

Its your own fault! The compensation culture in the US,now spread to the UK is making the use of "fore" more like a shout of "Its me over here you can sue for big bucks".Its a lot safer (financially speaking) to pretend it wasnt you (sad but true)

I have also noticed a recent trend of people shouting "fore right" or "fore left",Whats that all about?

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

I have also noticed a recent trend of people shouting "fore right" or "fore left",Whats that all about?

That is pretty goofy. Like you're going to have time to figure out whether you're to the right or the left before you decide whether or not you should duck. Another one I've been hearing is, "Fore on the tee." Just holler "fore" and let everyone within the sound of your voice take cover. Better safe than sorry.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

How can they sue? I thought stepping onto a golf course is assumed risk.

I've seen this discussed online and have discussed this with our association's lawyer. A suit only has merit if it is proven the person acted with reckless abandon.

A situation we discussed: A group is on the green of a drivable par 4. A person tees up his ball, gets advice/warning from their playing partner to wait before hitting because this person can reach it, and the person hits anyways. This is considered reckless. If there had been no warning, it is more difficult to prove that the person was acting recklessly. IE, the ol' once in a lifetime long drive. Anyways, didn't mean to hijack. Back on topic, I saw Tiger yell out "fore right" and "fore left" during his last televised tourney. I hadn't really heard it before.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

I can't count that high.

Seriously though, I see this a lot on muni courses. Either people don't know or don't care about golf etiquette (I suspect the latter). The one time I hit into another group is when I reached the green on a 260-yd approach shot on a par 5 with my 5 wood. That is unusually long for me. The ball wasn't airborne, but did roll right up to this lady that was putting and her husband went ballistic. I felt bad and tried to apologize to no avail. Since then I wait until the group in front is clear by at least 30-50 yds of my longest shot with that particular club before I hit.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Its your own fault! The compensation culture in the US,now spread to the UK is making the use of "fore" more like a shout of "Its me over here you can sue for big bucks".Its a lot safer (financially speaking) to pretend it wasnt you (sad but true)

It's the other way around! If you hit an errant shot and yell "FORE!" you have done your duty and will likely be held harmless. If, however, you hit offline, say NOTHING, and the ball hits someone....lookout for the lawsuit!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I try to always be mindful if I'm in a position where there is a good chance I could get hit by an errant ball. Riding down the edge of the fairway with another alongside is a dangerous place to be on a busy day. So too on the blind side of a hill or other place where you can't easily be seen. I like to leave something (a cart or my bag) in plain sight of the tee if the course is crowded and the people behind are antsy to maintain the pace.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Yes, I do think people should yell "fore", but I find I get more upset over people going bananas about others not yelling "fore". I guess I have a different view than most on when you should yell:

First, If I can see the ball will not hit the person (Meaning it is landing 10 yards or more away from the person) I will NOT yell. My reasoning for this is that a) its not necessary, they wont get hit and b) they might "run for cover" and actually move closer to getting hit.

Second, I have a problem with people going ape-sh!t over a ball rolling past them. Come-on, its not going to injure anyone if its rolling, even if its rolling pretty fast. My GF a couple years ago bladed an 8 iron about 120 yards in the air instead of her usual 110, landed in the short rough behind our green and it rolled out another 30 yards or so through a green from another hole behind ours. The guy on the green went absolutely nuts. He picked up her ball and teed it back up on his green, and was yelling at her, it was really really excessive. I know a lot of courses that want you to hit into greens on par 5s even when there are people on the green, with the logic being that if you catch it well you're going to be rolling up on the green and that is not dangerous.

But I will say that when a ball thumps down within a few feet from me, I get as hot as anyone.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

The same thing that happened to playing by the rules, fixing divots, fixing ball marks, dressing correctly, etc. Like in society the rules of proper ettiquette are eroding at an alarming rate.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Probably because they're embarrassed they hit such a terrible shot.

R7 Limited Patriot 9.5º
Sasquatch 15º
Idea Pro Gold Hybrid 20º
Tour Preferred Irons 4-PW
Z Smoke TP 52º SV Tour Black Satin 56º Rossa Core Classics Fontana One Tour

i think it's some kind of idiotic sense of pride or something that stops people from yelling fore. i've only heard a handful of "fores!" on the course this year and seen three times as many close calls without a "fore!" i personally will yell "fore!" without hesitation if there's a fair chance that my ball is heading towards someone.

The same thing that happened to playing by the rules, fixing divots, fixing ball marks, dressing correctly, etc. Like in society the rules of proper ettiquette are eroding at an alarming rate.

Regrettably, I fear you're right.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!