• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luckner88

Shoulder Turn Help???

8 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, newbie here. I'm 23 years old.

I have no understanding of how to execute the correct shoulder turn in the backswing. I have had lessons with people who obviously were there to take my money and care less of my improvement so I am a little hesitant on taking another lesson and I'm seeing if you guys can help. OK so here's my problem.

I don't understand the correct feeling of the backswing. I bring my left shoulder under my chin and my swing looks like a baseball swing (way too flat) my club is way around my body. Also my arms don't go back that far and feel tight when I'm halfway back. I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure it out. I'm pretty tall and I don't stand upright at all. I don't know what triggers the backswing. Do I use my right shoulder first? Also when I tilt my spine angel and turn my left shoulder under my chin, the swing looks even flatter. I think I'm turning my body instead of my shoulders but how do I isolate the shoulders? I read magazines and watch old guys get the backswing to the top with ease and I don't know the correct feeling of it. Ca someone explain it to me, I would appreciate it!

Sorry no video of my swing, I will upload it sooner or later.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

It sounds to me that your clubs have too flat a lie for your physical stature. You sound like you are "sitting down" to keep the club lying properly. A consequence of this is that your takeaway is too flat - similarly if you were to pick the club up to get it to the correct point in your backswing you'll come down too steep.

Its likely that you are currently practicing faults, and your clubs really don't suit you. I would recommend lessons with a good pro and a proper club fitting. At the least a proper club fitting (which comes first, the chicken getting the swing right, or the club being a golden egg....?). I had a similar problem and I just went with the club fitting. I'm now re-learning my swing with new, more upright, clubs.

Good Afternoon, All! New Member Here.  I Play At A Private Club 2-3X/ Week & Have Been Playing golf for 50 years.  Currently 17 Hcp; Got as low as 10 at one point.  I'm very tall @ 6'10" & have been working with an instructor  who wants me to turn my left shoulder down steeply toward my left foot to start the backswing.  Kind Of looks like Steve Elkington's shoulder move in "Secret's In The Dirt" site.  Sometimes I hit it flush, but sometimes I get too steep or pop up my drives.  Any Advice?  Thanks & I Love this forum!

feel like your right hand is pointing to the sky. This will help you flatten out your swing and will create more lag. The flatter you get with the driver the better in my opinion.

My pro showed me a pretty good swing plane exercise:  Stick a tee into the little hole in the butt of your club's grip.  As you make your backswing, keeping your left arm as straight as possible, make sure that tee points to the ball on the way back.  That should help identify about the right take-away angle.  My problem tends to be too steep a take-away, but should work on too flat also.

Originally Posted by Sacman

feel like your right hand is pointing to the sky. This will help you flatten out your swing and will create more lag. The flatter you get with the driver the better in my opinion.

Right palm pointing to sky to start downswing?

Originally Posted by Luckner88

Hey Guys, newbie here. I'm 23 years old.

I have no understanding of how to execute the correct shoulder turn in the backswing. I have had lessons with people who obviously were there to take my money and care less of my improvement so I am a little hesitant on taking another lesson and I'm seeing if you guys can help. OK so here's my problem.

I don't understand the correct feeling of the backswing. I bring my left shoulder under my chin and my swing looks like a baseball swing (way too flat) my club is way around my body. Also my arms don't go back that far and feel tight when I'm halfway back. I'm doing something wrong and I can't figure it out. I'm pretty tall and I don't stand upright at all. I don't know what triggers the backswing. Do I use my right shoulder first? Also when I tilt my spine angel and turn my left shoulder under my chin, the swing looks even flatter. I think I'm turning my body instead of my shoulders but how do I isolate the shoulders? I read magazines and watch old guys get the backswing to the top with ease and I don't know the correct feeling of it. Ca someone explain it to me, I would appreciate it!

Sorry no video of my swing, I will upload it sooner or later.

make sure your not trying to keep your back knee flexed, let it straighten out a bit as your left hip rotates around and down, and as your right hip goes back and up. Your shoulders will do the same, your left shoulder will rotate around and down, and your right will rotate back and up. You might want to feel like your left arm stays connected to your chest till the club gets parallel to the ground, then the left arm slides up the chest, raising the hands.

What i like to do sometimes is hold the club upright with my arms extended outward infront of me. Then i rotate my upper body so my shoulders are 90 degrees. Then i bend at the waist and knees. You will notice to stay centered your right knee will be straighter than the left knee. Make sure your left shoulder is pointing more towards the ground than the horizon. You will feel a stretch in your right lat muscle as well as your left oblique.

Awards and Achievements