IGNORED

Wearing glasses while playing golf

WhatIsPaintball
Note:Β This thread is 5444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I couldn't see a darn thing without my glasses. I don't get contacts for 2 reasons:
1. I have a weird thing about things in my eyes. At eye appts. they have to force my eye open to put in their drops.

2. I have a strange prescription, making custom contacts very expensive and not worth the cost.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

During alergy season I wear glasses. I do prefer to wear my contacts though. I can't tell you exactly why, but I feel more comfortable playing without the glasses on my face somehow.

In my Exodus on a 2.0
Driver..... FT-5 10* Draw
Fairway.. Big Bertha 2007 3w
Hybrids... 3DX DC 3 & 4 Ironwood
Irons...... TA6 5-DWedges.. CG-14 56* 2 dot, Niblick 37*Putter.... IC 2010

well i may shed lite on this subject...played 70 rounds to date without ever wearing the specs.

I played a tournament monday and began the day with the specs on at the range. Hit 20 balls with the Driver near perfect and 5 off the toe.

1st hole landed a par 3 17 ft from cup and played so-so until the 7th hole (i topped a drive then bladed a EASY pitch,...and got pissed with my play I took them off.

After that I fared the same, topped a drive(eyes were still blurryLOL) then played so-so but did string together 5 scramble strokes for my group in 3rd and 4th holes following spec removal. 2 bombs from Driver and 2 pitches to the green. After that it was hit and miss, but my drives were better without the specs in general...IMO

I am near sighted and lose sight of my ball after 300 yards in flight. Ok maybe 230 yards, I cant see that far.

"1 round, a sound judgement make, does not"

I've been wearing glasses since the 5th grade (I'm 53 now) and opted for LASIK surgery two years ago. Oddly, the surgery did wonders for my far vision but royally screwed up my near vision. I wear readers to read, type, etc. I've played golf for many years and had to wear my glasses (obvioulsy). I had prescription sunglasses made - always out of my old pair when I got a new pair. The two summers after LASIK with just regular sunglasses was great, but I couldn't see the card, my gps, etc. up close.

Okay, enough about me ... this thread is about playing with glasses ... Having to use them to see, I've played with the glasses and after surgery I've played without them. Except for the previously mentioned sweaty glasses sliding down the nose and that annoying drop of sweat right in the center of one lense on your downswing, there's no advantages with or without glasses. Except to see, of course. On the courses I play they don't allow seeing eye dogs, so my glasses were required!! HAHAHA

With or without LASIK, I always tried to wear sun glasses though.
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*Β  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

I play nearly every round with Maui Jim Kahunas. It's much easier to find the ball in the air. Otherwise I tend to need a spotter if it's really bright out. The only time it's ever affected my game was in reading putts. I got up to one putt that I could swear up and down was breaking left, and it broke hard right. Everyone I was playing with could see the break, and they were all really bad golfers. I took off my glasses and the break suddenly "switched" to the right. It was the combined effect of the sun off the grain and the polarization of the glasses that caused the mis-read. I would imagine playing with unpolarized glasses wouldn't make any difference on putting, but polarization seems to... particularly in Texas where nearly everything is bermuda. I think that's probably why Zach Johnson takes his glasses of when he reads greens.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9Β° (Lowered to 8.5Β°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15Β° and 18Β° | 585H 21Β° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52Β° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56Β° and 60Β° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I wore glasses for over 50 years till I had cataracks off. I could never follow the ball with glasses and still cannot. Now I somethimes get luck and see the ball bounce or roll on the ground. I do now wear sun glasses when it is bright out.

I wear glasses. They're rimless and I don't take them off

I too wear my glasses at all times. This last year, I forgot to get a new contacts prescription, so I'm on a pair of disposables that are almost a year old. I'll wear them for hockey occassionally, but I have an old pair of Hanson Brothers glasses that I wear most of the time.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

a friend of mine has to wear special sun glasses, but can't see well enough to play golf. His solution is to wear two pair of glasses. Like a poor man's bifocals. It's pretty funny to see him, but he can't play any other way.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I wear glasses around the apartment and rock my contacts when I go out. Yes, I'm vain, sorry. Although, I have been told I look good with glasses on as well hehe.

In terms of playing golf with my glasses on, I've done it a few times, but it's pretty annoying. In the winter it's fine because I wear a winter cap while playing so that helps them stay secure on my head. During the summer, I'll never wear them though as they could fly off my head during the swing.

I used to always rock these really expensive Nike golf sunglasses while playing and I loved them because they were custom fit to my head and never budged while playing. However, I retired them because I get ridiculous tan lines around my eyes and I look like a jackass all week.

It's not all gravy though unforuantely. I suffer from some pretty annoying allergies between mid-May and early June, so the irritation from my contacts can be brutal at times. I need to keep a bottle of visine in my bag just in case.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

it's getting hard for me to track the ball if i am not wearing glasses, but i just feel weird when i play with glasses on. I am just wondering if anybody else out there wear their glasses while playing golf?

I've had glasses since my early 20's and never thought much about switching to contacts. When my wife and I started dating she suggested I try contacts. I was a little reluctant at first but man did it make a difference in reading greens. I have read that reading greens can be difficult at times wearing glasses with how the sun effects looking through glasses at certain angles(sorry I don't know the physics of it)! Anyways, by switching from glasses to contacts had a positive effect on my game and in particular my putting and reading greens. If your having problems tracking the ball on full shots you should be wearing glasses or contacts and I would say go with contacts if you can! I also have a stigmatism so my contacts are expensive but I stll say you should try them, the prices have went down the last few years and the ones I have now are so soft and comfortable I don't even know they're in!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood:Β Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNCΒ Β 

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58*Β CNCΒ Β 

Putters:Β Scotty Cameron NewportΒ IIΒ 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I had eye surgery last year and my eyes are still a little sensitive to the sunlight. I have tried several sets of sunglasses and found some basic Maui Jims to be best. On each lens, they have reflective areas below and above the eye line, but at eye level it is basically just shaded. I don't have as many problems tracking the ball or seeing it during a swing.

I wear a hat, so the fitting at the eyebrow isn't a big deal to me.

http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/st...3_17603_N__1__

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

I think you should go with the kareem style..

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I live in Albuquerque, NM and we average over 300 days of sunshine a year. In the summer sometimes the sun is so bright it looks like it is only a couple miles away. So to answer your question I most certainly wear sunglasses to play golf. I pretty much wear sunglasses anytime I step outside. I am an Oakley junkie, I have a special pair of Oakley's that have a golf lens. They stay in their case in my golf bag and only get used for golf.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Has anyone found that polarized glasses affect green-reading?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9Β° (Lowered to 8.5Β°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15Β° and 18Β° | 585H 21Β° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52Β° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56Β° and 60Β° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

If your glasses fit well, you'll get used to them. I hated it at first too, but I don't mind it at all now.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5Β°
Nike Sumo2 15Β°
Nike Sumo2 19Β°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56Β°10Β°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I played with glasses sunday and couldnt read a green very well...it stinks but cant play with them anymore.
It was my first 18 holes with glasses...RX glasses.

Both my clear and sunglasses are trifocals. What I have trained myself to do is to view the ball through the narrow center trifocal lens at setup. And then I try to keep the ball in the trifocal lens as I make my back and down swing. This helps me to keep my head still and works most of the time. Sunglasses are pretty much a must in Houston.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: PinemeadowΒ ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56Β° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm MalletΒ putter

Note:Β This thread is 5444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!