IGNORED

Now I have a power draw...no good!

Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to be a slicer. I strengthened my grip and for a couple of years I hit the ball straight.

Now I'm hitting a power draw with most clubs except my short irons (8-sw).

I hope to take a lesson next week, but have two rounds coming up this weekend.

I just want to hit the ball straight. What am I doing that is causing this power draw (sounds better than a hook). I have weakened my grip some, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

Let's hear the ideas!

Thanks in advance.

TW

You need to check your alignment and make sure you hips and shoulders are aligned properly. Get in your stance and take your club and hold it against your shoulders first then against your hips and make sure the club is pointed towards your target. They actually should point just a little left but parallel to the line from the ball to the target.

you can hold off the hook, by swinging more upright with weak grip.
On your backswing, once your hands get to about hip high, just raise the club straight up instead of around your body... this should fix it back into a nice fade =)

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

I used to be a slicer. I strengthened my grip and for a couple of years I hit the ball straight.

I don't remember if it was Jack or some top instructor saying it but what it amounted to was "hitting the ball straight is the hardest shot in golf". That doesn't mean you shouldn't try and obviously if you've went from slicing to drawing/hooking you've made adjustments that have worked. The only players that I have played with that are consistently straight are mostly senior golfers with slower swing speeds.

The only players that I have played with that are consistently straight are mostly senior golfers with slower swing speeds

Ben Hogan once saw Moe Norman hit a ball on the range and said a straight ball was an accident. Moe hit ball after ball, after ball saying, "there is another accident".

I have a hard time working the ball. Over the last few years I have learned to hit a fade, but I hit the ball dead straight. When I miss the shot I have selected it is because I have aimed left to play a fade, or right to play a draw and then hit it dead straight .... where I was aiming. I have a bad habbit of not aiming down the middle, or at a pin. When I make myself do it, I play incredible. Straight is not the norm, but it is not that hard once you understand what makes the ball go straight.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Take this with a pinch of salt, but I'm a bit of a hooker too.

But sometimes I find when the hook creeps in bad, that if I slide my hips toward the flag a little more consciously (or maybe earlier?), it helps keep the rotation in better synch, so that my arms/hands don't come around too soon ahead of my hips, which I think leads to the hooks in my case.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Personally, I hook the ball when my swing starts flattening out too much and I start the back swing too far to the inside.

Maybe the weaker grip, and a more upright swing will help when you start hooking it.
My Tools:

Taylor Made Burner Driver
F60 3 & 5 Wood
Cleveland Halo 3i Hybrid Mizuno MP57 irons 4-PW Cleveland 52 & 56 Degree Wedges Srixon ZURS Ball

Ben Hogan once saw Moe Norman hit a ball on the range and said a straight ball was an accident. Moe hit ball after ball, after ball saying, "there is another accident".

Awesome quote, I really like that one!

I am in the same boat as the OP; I just try to hit it straight. The straight shot has so many advantages in my opinion: it is more simple to aim, you won't have a magnified miss by aiming left for a fade and getting double crossed and accidentally hitting a draw (or vice versa), and it just plain looks better to me. I am getting better at hitting it straight. I fought the hooks for a while, and for me the key was my left hand grip. Once I got it to a truly neutral position things really opened up for me and I could start swinging more freely. Good luck!
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

fool around with dropping one foot or the other back a few inches in your stance with a couple buckets of balls

once you start hitting straight with a foot back keep doing that to train the muscles in your upper body

slowly move your foot forward

once you are hitting straight get off the range

Note: This thread is 5423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!