IGNORED

Walkers??

TN94z
Note: This thread is 5392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have ALWAYS ridden in the cart when I am playing. I was thinking about starting to walk this year to help me get in shape and maybe save a little money. The one thing that I am wondering about is the guys riding in carts while I am walking. For example, when we are in the carts and come up on a guy that is walking, some of my buddies are like "Man, we caught a walker..this will take forever." It's almost like they automatically start talking crap just because the guy is walking. I don't want to feel like I am getting in anyone's way by walking. My course was saved but the guy raised the memberships and I will probably move to a new club. I don't know how many guys walk that course because most are rich and have their own carts. Is this something I should even worry about?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piss on the haters. If they allow walking at your course, they realize it is no slower (sometimes faster) than carting. I'm the only walker in our group sometimes and I have no problem keeping up and sometimes I am ready long before the riders.

I have only done a cart once but i can tell ya i have walked the course many times. There is something therapeutic about walking on the course, maybe its getting a full view of the course, the smell of the wind in the air. Its just something that always bring a smile to my face when i head down the way towards my ball...

My advice is try it, you might find you enjoy yourself more that way. I could care less if someone behind me is trying to play fast and wants to zip on by in his little cart, i am here to enjoy the game of golf.

Piss on the haters. If they allow walking at your course, they realize it is no slower (sometimes faster) than carting. I'm the only walker in our group sometimes and I have no problem keeping up and sometimes I am ready long before the riders.

Agree. The time I've played using the cart I find it slower, because they don't allow you to get the cart on the fairway. So I have to check the lie, select the club, go to the cart to get the club, hit, go to the car again... bla.. bla... and I feel I walk more. What I do when someone is behind me and he is using the cart I let him pass and problem solved.

Greetings!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

I really enjoy walking vs riding although it is about a 50/50 split between riding and walking for me. I seem to score better while walking. I walked 18 holes a couple weeks ago and it was one of the most enjoyable rounds I have done this year.

Mark

My pathetic bag that will hopefully be updated by next Spring.
5 Wood: Palm Springs
3-P Irons: Palm Springs
56deg Sand Wedge: Upswing Golf
58/10 Lob Wedge: Nike Victory Red Putter: Odyssey two ball putter srt Ball: Top Flight D2 Feel

I have played around 120 rounds of golf. I have never been in a cart. I think you may as well save the money, and use your time-consuming favorite sport as a way of keeping fit too.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

Thanks guys. I also want to try it because I think it may help me concentrate more on what I am doing. I will have more time on the way to the ball to contemplate where I should hit the ball, etc...I am also hoping that this will keep me more even tempered as I tend to get flustered and that is a problem. So, hopefully it will get me in shape, save me some money, and help me on the course management side of things. I will try it out. The first thing I need to do is drop some weight from my bag!!!

Bryan A

I've never understood the point of taking a cart if you are fit and able to walk a golf course. Sure, if there is no one on the course and taking a cart can get you through 18 in a couple hours, but other than that, why not get some exercise and go for a nice walk?

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

I think the majority of guys on here would agree that they play better when they walk for many of the reasons already stated.

You're also never going to convince me that riding is quicker than walking. It all depends on the skill level of the person playing and as a general rule, complete hackers don't tend to walk the course.

I walk and I love it.

I like to walk when I go out for nothing other than the excersize. Although on the more hillier courses, sometimes I do take a cart.
If you feel as though you are holding someone up, you could just offer to let them play through.

To be honest, I think we have always ridden a cart simply because we were lazy. I mean I hate to say that, but its the truth. We all have rather physical jobs and once we work all day long, we just didn't feel like going out and walking 18 holes when we could ride and relax a bit.

Bryan A

I only ride when a) I'm with lazy friends b) There's a lot of beer to carry c) tourneys d) I'm treating myself(kinda like ice cream for the kids) & e) Holes are far apart.

The last one is the main one. Walking is (on average) just as fast as riding as long as the next tee box is within a 2 minute walk of the last green. Anything more kills time.

A word of caution, I don't know how out of shape you are or are not, but walking 18 is truly a lot of work if you're not used to it! The first few times I did it, I was done for the rest of the day, and I'm young and really fit. You'll get used to it though.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

I always walk to save money. And it saves a lot - probably more than $50 a week, which adds up.

When I'm playing by myself (most of the time) I find that I go about the same speed as a pair of average golfers riding in a cart. I move considerably faster than most threesomes and foursomes that are on carts. Better golfers will catch up to me. When they do, no big deal. Just step aside and signal to let them through.

I would just advise two things...

1) Look through your bag and take out whatever you don't need. A few extra pounds will be noticeable over 18 holes.

2) Plan to drink a lot more water. When it is 80+ degrees I drink (and sweat) half a liter of water about every 3 holes. Stay on a regular schedule like that. The best place to store water is in your body. Don't get dehydrated.

Tim

I'll ride only if it's mandatory or the distance green to tee is excessive.
It's usually the only real exercise I get and generally gives me a better feel for the course. Particularly if carts are required to stay on the path only. There are courses that I won't play just because carts are required.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I only ride when a) I'm with lazy friends b) There's a lot of beer to carry c) tourneys d) I'm treating myself(kinda like ice cream for the kids) & e) Holes are far apart.

I play a few 9 hole rounds during the week after work. I figure I can walk the 9 hole rounds to get in shape before I tackle 18! The good news is the course that I am thinking of joining is actually shorter than the course I play now...so that will for sure help.

Bryan A

Not based in fact, but I think on a wide open course, you could probably play faster in a cart. But as most courses tend to have golfers on them, a little congestion and you can walk and play just as fast as riding.

Two weeks ago my brother and I played, and walked in 3 1/2 hours on a 6500 yard course. There were 3 or 4 groups that teed off before us and all the groups were walking.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I walk for cost reasons but I have noticed that with the courses around here filling up for the season walking to my ball means I'm not standing and waiting for my next shot as long.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

I walk almost all the time, and I have never had a problem keeping up with people in carts. The key is to be ready to move as soon as you can and to walk briskly.

Off the tee, you might get to your ball a bit later than the riders, but just get there as quickly as you can, and don't mess around with your pre-shot routine. Just get to your ball and hit it.

I played a round in Scotland on an open course, and I walked it in 3 hours. I was completely by myself, though.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Note: This thread is 5392 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!