IGNORED

how good do you have to be to used forged?

Note: This thread is 5443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are forged irons typically more expensive then cast?

yes, but you can find some amazing deals on BRAND NEW forged irons on Ebay. i bought a brand new set of Forged Tour Edge V-Blades on Ebay for $149. and my current irons, the forged Precept Tour Premiums CB's for $200 brand new.

Is it possible for a person to not be able to hit cavity back irons well, but be able to hit blades much better?

I have heard for the longest time that only mid to low handicappers should use blades so I stayed away from them, but after today I am starting to think that maybe blades would help me more than cavity backs.

I recently got serious about golf and started taking lessons (about 3 months ago), and the first thing I did was get on a Trackman system and hit my driver. My average swing speed is 118 out of 20 swings. I ended up switching drivers (to a 9 degree with x flex shaft) and have been working on making my grip strength stronger (its up to about 60 lbs and I was told for my speed it needs to be closer to 70, it was at 50). This one change alone has killed the slice I had for years, and has me hitting about 75% of fairways with my driver, and my distance is unreal. I know my swing is consistent and is pretty decent fundamentally. I am 6'0 and 155 lbs, but can absolutely kill the ball with my driver and do it on 95% of my swings. I have a great deal of power for my size IMO.

Anyways, I can't hit my ignite irons consistently to save my life, besides my five iron, which i never hit a bad shot with. Today after playing and a 2 hour post round range session, i decided I was going to hit some new irons. I grabbed the new Nike Victory blades and hit 10 shots with each the 4 6 and 9 iron, and hit what felt like probably the best 25 iron shots I have hit in some time. It was close to closing time so I didn't have anyone helping me or running my shots on a trackman or anything, so it was difficult to gauge if I was actually hitting the ball well, but almost every shot felt great and the ball was coming off straight.

Is it actually plausible that I just can't hit a cavity back worth crap consistently because of the design? I am really interested in trying out some blades, looks like golfclubdemo.com has closed or I would rent some to test. Has anyone ever heard of this being possible in the past? I think if I could hit my irons more consistently, that with my driving/short game, I would break 80 easily.

PS. I am at the range probably 5 days a week and on average hit around 300 balls a trip.

SQ Dymo 9.5° Driver X-Flex
SQ Dymo 15° 3W
Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW
SV Tour Wedge 52°
SV Tour Wedge 56° SV Tour Wedge 60° White Hot Tour Putter Sasquatch Tour Stand BagI feel like should be paying me or something.

I feel a lot of the talk about who should and who shouldn't play blades is a way for golfers to seperate themselves. I cant speak on the science behind it, but I have played both irons. When I was younger I played Pingeye2's and hit the ball well, but when I got to high school and became stronger I was frustrated by my inability to work the ball from left to right with my irons. I now play MP60's/ProjX, if you are new to blades I would urge you to check out Mizuno. The MP52's are a little more forgiving than the MP60s, but still great clubs. If you are not fimiliar with "Cut Muscle" check it out. Not quite a blade, but as close as you can get. I have hit most clubs on the market, and in my opinion Mizunos are butter. If I were wealthy I would play MP67's.

As far as what it takes to hit them well... Consistancy, you will notice the wear on the face of blade irons is usually in a concentrated region. This is because the player consistantly strikes the ball in the same part of the face. Not hitting the sweet spot will make for a poor shot with blade irons, cavity backs are designed to allow the player whos golf swing is inconsistant to use more of the face.

I apologize, I didnt address your question. Cavity backs were designed for golfers who do not hit blades well, so to hit a blade well but not a cavity back simply goes against popular belief. Not saying its impossible. Though consider the difference in the driver swing and that of the iron... Its even more important to use the tension built up in your torso to swing the club with an iron in hand, and not your arms. No need for 118 swing speed in the fairway.

I used to be a 1.7 handicap, then I switched to forged and got married. Now I'm an 8. At this point it's going to be much less expensive to buy cast clubs than to get divorced, so I'm subscribing to the theory it's harder to hit forged clubs!

I apologize, I didnt address your question. Cavity backs were designed for golfers who do not hit blades well, so to hit a blade well but not a cavity back simply goes against popular belief. Not saying its impossible. Though consider the difference in the driver swing and that of the iron... Its even more important to use the tension built up in your torso to swing the club with an iron in hand, and not your arms. No need for 118 swing speed in the fairway.

I'd like to think that most of my swing is from my core/torso rather than my arms, otherwise I don't think I would be able to generate the speed I do with my size. I definitely don't swing as hard with an iron, I just don't get how I can hit my driver and wedges so well and not my irons (except the 5).

Aren't wedges pretty similar to blades? I have 52 and 60 degree wedges that I absolutely love to hit and hit well, especially the 60 within 100 yards.

SQ Dymo 15° 3W
SV Tour Wedge 52°
SV Tour Wedge 56° SV Tour Wedge 60° White Hot Tour Putter Sasquatch Tour Stand BagI feel like should be paying me or something.

All I can say to this, thank goodness for blood pressure medicine!

I used to think it was good that my wife to be played golf, but after I played a few rounds with her, I really started thinking otherwise.

SQ Dymo 15° 3W
SV Tour Wedge 52°

Note: This thread is 5443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!