IGNORED

9 holes vs 18 holes?

Note: This thread is 3911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that 18 holes is considered a full round...but there is a 9 hole muni down the street from me that I starting playing last year....now I even volunteer there so I can play for free. Now I find that I enjoy playing 9 holes over 18....mostly because of time...because:

(1) I can tee up at 7am on the weekend & be home sipping coffee at 9:15am. I have played some 18 hole rounds that took 5+ hours

(2) it is easy to sneak in 9 holes after work.

Any comments??

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

Also...does anyone prefer 9 over 18 holes?

In my clicgear.gif 2.0 Push Cart and callaway.gifgolf bag are - 

Z-Star driver 10.5  Mashie 3 and 7 metals  Mashie 4 hyrbird  Z-Star 4-PW Irons  cleveland.gifCG Black 48, 52, 56 degree wedges  GoLo putter  upro mx+ gps

I will say no, but only because I don't live very close to where I play. Therefore, if I'm going to make the effort to get to the course, I want to play 18. But if I lived on a course, than I'd be all about playing 9 holes, especially after work.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Also prefer 18. 9 is just enough to make me mad if I have the time for 18.

There is something to be said though for being able to get your fix in 1.5 hours early in the morning or late in the evening.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

I perfer 9 holes over 18 myself, with 2 small children at home (time is against me) and playing 9 also allows me too walk over riding in a cart as well, normally on a busy weekend most courses up here suggest (strongly) when playing 18 that you ride (it's also basically cost sufficent as well).

to each his own though.....

Sure. When the mornings get really warm, I can tee off at 6am, play 9 holes, shower and dressed at the club locker rooms, stop at Tim Hortons, and be in my office my 8:30..
  • Upvote 1

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Playing for whatever time you have available is certainly better than not. If I can get in only 9 holes after work, I'm all for it. If I have the time available, I prefer 36 holes to 9 or 18.

There's nothing like being on a well manicured lawn that I didn't have to mow!
  • Upvote 1

18 when its at like 3 or 4 in the afternoon because then you can fit everything you need to fit in before that and focus on your game.

In my Nike Bag...
Driver: 460 SZ 10.5*
Woods: SZ 3 and 7
Hybrid: Ignite
Irons: IgniteWedges: Big Bertha 55*, 58*Putter: FuturaBall: Penta, TP Black

I prefer 18 because it seems like I generally am playing my best in between the ninth hole and the 13th hole and I hate walking off of the course right when I am heating up.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I really struggle to make time for 18 these days. I strongly prefer the first tee time if playing 18.

I read somewhere that 18 holes is one of golf's biggest obstacle to becoming more popular.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I used to sort of disparage the 9 hole round, but I now see that this is a silly mistake. Sometimes it's 9 or nothing because of time constraints, or 18 may be ill advised because of high temps in the summer.

Also, I find that nine is plenty long enough for me to feel that I've made some progress on my game by identifying issues to work on as well as stress-testing the latest swing fix. Towards the end of a full round I sometimes feel like I've maxed out when it comes to learning and I'm mostly on autopilot.

But really, it's all good and surely beats the alternative.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I like 18 but I often play 9's once a week as my practice time since I not a range rat and then mostly only practice pitching, chipping and putting. I don't goof around when playing 9's but rather get a small bucket's worth of a real game with real shots on real grass.

I read somewhere that 18 holes is one of golf's biggest obstacle to becoming more popular.

that doesn't bother me none. All that matters is I love golf. The less people at the course the better IMO. I realize courses may not make as much money to spend back on the course, but I think they still do alright.

oh..and I prefer 18. nothing like being in the middle of a heated battle coming down the stretch..

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

Up until a couple of months ago, I preferred 18. Now with my newer "restricted free time", 9 is the way to go. I can leave work at 5, play 9 on the way home, and still be in my recliner sipping a beer by 7. I am getting to play 4 to 5 times a week now, instead of maybe one. 9 holes also provide my daughter and I with a couple of golf outings a week, she can't handle 18 right now. Another plus is the actual course I play, it is only 9 holes and fairly short. I take my pencil bag with 4 clubs; 5 wood, 7 iron, PW, and putter (and still break 45 regularly).

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

I prefer 18, but the in rural community that I grew up, most of the neighoring towns only had 9 hole courses. We ended up playing a lot of 9 hole rounds.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 3911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!