IGNORED

So I see this Cleveland "Niblick" at the golf shop

Note: This thread is 5193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My grandfather used to carry something like that years ago - I think it was called a 10 iron (maybe an 11?) in his old Kenneth Smith set. And he would basically assault the flag with it anytime he was just off the green.

Anybody use one? Does the benefit offset the fact that hardly looks like a player's club?

If Ping made one I'd probably buy it, but I'm sort of an idiot that way.

I saw one today at golf galaxy, I just though it was another chipper, but just googled it and it has some pretty good reviews. Looks interesting.

SQ Dymo 9.5° Driver X-Flex
SQ Dymo 15° 3W
Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW
SV Tour Wedge 52°
SV Tour Wedge 56° SV Tour Wedge 60° White Hot Tour Putter Sasquatch Tour Stand BagI feel like should be paying me or something.

I own one.

I don't like it for full shots so it becomes a pitcher/chipper for me. It's a nice club but it does take some getting used to. I like it for pitching/chipping but so far have had trouble judging distances with it. Not that this type shot comes up too often but because of it's weight and it's short shaft, I've had success hitting a backwards shot with it (like when your ball is up against a tree giving you no place to stand). Also eats through thick rough.

I've taken it out of my bag for now but I suspect it will end up back in there after I've had some time to work with it.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

At the risk of sounding like some kind of arrogant ass.......I think that the vast majority of people that don't play to at least a single digit handicap would do themselves a favor if they put a chipper in the bag......maybe replace that 60* wedget that they have no business carrying!

I've known people that played down to a 3 that used them to great effect!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At the risk of sounding like some kind of arrogant ass.......

Success. Mission accomplished.

In my Grom bag:

Driver........... Burner 9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood......... Burner 15* S-Flex
5-Wood......... Ovation 18* S-FlexIrons............. Pro Combos 3,5-PW Rifle 6.0Wedges......... CG12 52.10, 56.14, 60.10Putter............ 33" VP1 Milled PutterBall................ e6+ or B330-SRangefinder.....

Success. Mission accomplished.

Hear hear, everyone have an eight iron in their bag, yes? then you don't need a bloody chipper!

In the Bag:

R7 Draw, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 3-wood, stiff Exsar FS2
F-50 5-wood, stiff Exsar FS2 MP-60 3-PW, reg TT dynamic gold MP Tour Style 54.10 and 60.09,reg TT dynamic gold Bobby Grace DCT Response, w/ golf pride "2 thumb" grip B330S

I'm getting one for fathers day. It was worth its weight in gold when I tested it for chipping. My plan is to use it for low recovery shots as well as chipping. I already have my 56* wedge that I am very comfortable with. I figure that these two clubs along with my putter will be my entire short game.

I'm going to add that I can use my 8 iron, but the lie angle makes it harder to align, not to mention that the sole width makes the occasional stub shot happen. That's why I'm getting the money club.

In my Exodus on a 2.0
Driver..... FT-5 10* Draw
Fairway.. Big Bertha 2007 3w
Hybrids... 3DX DC 3 & 4 Ironwood
Irons...... TA6 5-DWedges.. CG-14 56* 2 dot, Niblick 37*Putter.... IC 2010

I love this club - I dont use it much right off the green.
My home course has fast greens and its too easy to roll off.

It is the best club I have ever used in thick rough. Also great to use in hazards where you can not ground the club.

I have had a decent amout of success using it from 100-110 yards out.

For me it replaced my 58 degree wedge in the bag and I seem to be getting
along well enough with the niblick and a 54 degree.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I'll have to risk sounding like a closed-minded ass as well. A chipping club is absolutely worthless. It's my opinion that the people that buy these things think "gee, my chipping sucks. This will help me chip!" These same people probably haven't practiced a chip in years. If you want to chip better, try practicing with the clubs you already have, experiment with 7-iron through SW, see what results you get, and take it to the course. Don't spend 100 bucks on something that's going to waste one of 14 available.

Rant over.

That said, I need to practice chipping because it killed my last round.

Driver: 909 D3 10.5 degree Aldila Voodoo S Shaft
3 Wood: MP 001
Irons: MP-67 3-PW
Wedges: 52, 56, 60
Putter: Karsten B60

I guess I'll have to risk sounding like a closed-minded ass as well. A chipping club is absolutely worthless. It's my opinion that the people that buy these things think "gee, my chipping sucks. This will help me chip!" These same people probably haven't practiced a chip in years. If you want to chip better, try practicing with the clubs you already have, experiment with 7-iron through SW, see what results you get, and take it to the course. Don't spend 100 bucks on something that's going to waste one of 14 available.

That's rather presumptuous don't you think? It's not a waste of one of 14 available if you are able to chip better with it. Further, it's not a chipper per se. It has the distance of a pitching wedge. Is it the name that bugs you? The shape? I don't get the negative comments on this club.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

its a well designed club, just really geared toward the mid-high handicappers as what the other people that "sounded" arrogant meant. Thats who the club was made for. Can chip, pitch, pitch and run, and hit full shots. If you have trouble around the green, then this is your club.

• 2 months later...
As I bonafide awful golfer with a handlicap in the stratosphere I love this club. To those "Self proclaimed asses" I ask them to spend a round in my shoes and see the misery that I go through - LOL. Anything that remotely raises my confidence level is fine by me. This was a birthday present from my son and so far it has been a ton of fun to use. One day I'm sure that I will throw it away when I have gotten my handicap has stopped being a handicap. Until then viva le niblick!

At the risk of sounding like some kind of arrogant ass.......I think that the vast majority of people that don't play to at least a single digit handicap would do themselves a favor if they put a chipper in the bag......maybe replace that 60* wedget that they have no business carrying!

Now, I wouldn't generalize like that. Right now my handicap is around 30-ish and improving. However, I don't struggle with chipping one bit. Hell, a lot of times I can stick a flop shot close to the pin. It's my short irons that kill me every time. It's like, "What the hell? I can hit a godforsaken 1 iron, but can't hit a 9 maybe half the time!" See my point? Just because someone isn't a single digit handicap doesn't mean they suck at everything, it's usually one thing that really makes their strokes pile on. For example, my dad and I usually shoot within 10 of each other any given day. I hit my driver, woods, long irons and wedges good, whereas my dad is a better all around irons player and putter, but struggles more often with his driver than me, and avoids his woods and sand wedge at all costs. So you see, not everyone struggles with the same one thing. Though my putting is improving a ton lately

. Sorry for rambling, just wanted to get my point across.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

At the risk of sounding like some kind of arrogant ass.

i've made comments like "high handicappers should just get rid of their long irons" that could definitely be judged as "arrogant" but its just good advice imo. If you can't hit a club why both having it in your bag?

i dont agree with you here though I find myself using my 56*, 7i and putter from around the green very often and usually succeed in my scramble attempt. I'll reserve judgement on the "chipper" though because I have absolutely no experience with it. I've been chipping with short irons/wedges since I was a high handicapper and the best part of my game has always been around the greens.

905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder
200 steel 3 wood
200 steel 5 wood
690.CB 3-PW
56* 14 Pro Platinum Newport 2 Pro V1 B330-S

I use my pw for basically every shot inside of 100 yds, including chipping and pitch shots, only using my 56 sw for bunker shots and if i have to get the ball up quickly to hit it over a tree or something. I might use another club if i have to chip from under a tree, either a 7 or 8 iron, so i keep it closer to the ground. I have a cheap version of a chipper i got at walmart, basically almost looks like a lofted putter but I havent used it for a long time.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I own one.

I agree with both of these, and no - you don't sound arrogant to me. Honest and accurate. I do have a chipper - I call it the cheater club. I find distance control is difficult as well. It is definitely something you need to work with - but waaayyyy more valuable to many golfers than a lob wedge!

If you have difficulty around the greens, these could help. A buddy of mine swears by his - ymmv.

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

I own one.

I could have written that post! That pretty much describes my experience with it and I, too, have taken it out of the bag for now.

Index 2.8
In the bag: Rapture V2 10.5, Ping G10 Hybrids (18/21/24), Ping i10s (5-PW), Ping Tour Wedges (52/56/60), Ping Anser, TM Burner ball, Golf Guru GPS

Note: This thread is 5193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!