IGNORED

So I see this Cleveland "Niblick" at the golf shop

Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A chipper is nothing like an 8 iron. Wider sole, generally heavier, and sometimes different loft. A chipper is easier to chip with than an 8 iron esp from the rough. Bottom line is their confidence is higher when they have that club in their hand. I actually think they are great because they promote more chip and run shots compared to people trying to fly and spin it. Most people can't fly a chip and stop it next to the pin.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Hey isn't Niblick a German word for "huge vagina who cannot chip with a wedge"?

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Hey isn't Niblick a German word for "huge vagina who cannot chip with a wedge"?

Isn't steve a Polish word for "huge douche"?

I think the owners of this place would agree that if you've got an opinion, sharing it is fine, but calling someone a "huge vagina" crosses the line.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been using my Niblick since father's day. What separates this from a regular chipper is the ability to use it with a full swing. It eats rough for breakfast too, an area where chipping with an 8 iron is difficult. This club has saved me many strokes with the ability to keep it lower than my short irons.

I don't consider this to be a specialty club because I find it to be the most versatile club in my bag.

My vagina must be huge.

In my Exodus on a 2.0
Driver..... FT-5 10* Draw
Fairway.. Big Bertha 2007 3w
Hybrids... 3DX DC 3 & 4 Ironwood
Irons...... TA6 5-DWedges.. CG-14 56* 2 dot, Niblick 37*Putter.... IC 2010

Do the guys that have one use the 37* or the 42*?

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

Do the guys that have one use the 37* or the 42*?

Mine is the 37* - it has been removed from my bag for awhile due to the inconsistency in the sand traps at my home course. I needed to put the 58* wedge back in, but I definitely miss the niblick for getting out of thick rough.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As per my sig: 37* I find it the perfect compliment to my 56* wedge.

In my Exodus on a 2.0
Driver..... FT-5 10* Draw
Fairway.. Big Bertha 2007 3w
Hybrids... 3DX DC 3 & 4 Ironwood
Irons...... TA6 5-DWedges.. CG-14 56* 2 dot, Niblick 37*Putter.... IC 2010

I don't have one, but I think they're neat. I find arguing about club design and selection ridiculous-there has been all sorts of golf club designs for well over a hundred years. It does have the advantage over most chippers of being able to make a full swing. I wouldn't take a club out of my bag for it, but I think (actually I know) that a lot of golfers would benefit from it, and by design it should reinforce a good chipping motion that works with any number of clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reading up on this club and I'm really intrigued by it, but I would like to see it in person before I buy it. The problem is that I can't find anyplace in my area that sells one. I will probably hold off until next year, considering my season is beginning to wind down.

Hibore Driver
Burner Steel 3 Wood
Rescue Mid Hybrid
mp 52s
54* and 60* Spin Milled Wedges Craz-e Putter Bag Cart Neo gps

I bought the niblick and it is a good club. That said it is no longer in my bag. The reason for that is after I bought the niblick I purchased Phil Mickelson's Secrets of the Short Game and that dvd has greatly helped in improving my short game technique to the point where I am now comfortable and confident in making a variety of short game shots with pretty much every club in my bag. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

Seems to me that for the mid to high handicapper, this club is a huge benefit. This makes sense since the reason their scores are that way is because their GIR is low and they find themselves in situations where this club can do its thing.
For a lower handicap, the thought of using this club as one of fourteen in the bag is hard to fathom because you really cannot use it for that many shots outside of 40 yards. Giving up that 56* or 60* that you can also hit great full shots with to replace it with this chipper is not a pleasant thought.
Bottom line is this club, like everything else in golf, comes down to preference. There is no right and wrong, just what works for you to lower scores.
Have to give a shout out to Steve with the vagina smack, still laughing from that one.

EGS

910 D3 9.5* Aldila RIP S 70 g
Burner 3 wood 15 * S
Bruner Hybrid 19* S MP-60 S300 4-PW CG 14 52*/10* TP Z 56*/12* TP Z 60*/6* Studio Select Laguna 1.5

• 4 months later...
Note: This thread is 5220 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!