IGNORED

I can't hit my long irons to save my life.

Note: This thread is 5409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I have a TM R7 Draw iron set, and I can't hit any of my 4,5, and 6-iron clubs. Any tips?

In the bag:

Driver: R9 460
Fairway Woods:FT 3 Wood, Burner 5 Wood
Irons: R7 DrawWedges: 56 sand, Bob Vokey Spin-Milled 60 LobPutter: DetourBall: NXT Extreme

Can't hit how? Can't get it airbourne?
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

basically, they are the hardest clubs to hit in my bag.

In the bag:

Irons: R7 DrawWedges: 56 sand, Bob Vokey Spin-Milled 60 LobPutter: DetourBall: NXT Extreme

Pretty much. I also seem to hit my 8, 9, and pw the same as well (distance wise)

In the bag:

Make sure you are hitting down on the ball with your irons. There should be a divot after where the ball is. Don't try to lift the ball into the air. I suspect you are trying to sweep the ball off the turf as opposed to driving through the ball and hitting the turf in front of it.

Next time you go to the driving range, start with your pw or 9 iron and work your way up to the longer irons. Also, start by hitting pitch shots, no more than waist high on the backswing and work your way up to a full backswing.

Hope this helps.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

tip: Grip the club lightly and swing the club smoothly. Nice fluid swings, but with a purpose.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

thanks, im gonna use those tips next time i hit the driving range.

In the bag:

I have those same clubs and I replaced the 3/4/5 with there rescue line of hybrids tossed the irons in the garage and don't miss them at all. Found that my yardage increased, was more accurate, and had zero problem getting the ball up. Your millage may vary but something to consider. I don't have the 8/9/pw problem you are having though.

FT-iQ 9* Graphalloy ProLaunch Red
Looking for a 16.5* 4 wood to fill here
Looking for a 18/19* and 22/23* hybrids to fill here
AP-1 5/6/7/8/9/P/W Project X 5.5
Vokey Spin Milled 54/08 58/04 Dual Force 2 #1 Z-Star

I usually dont play those irons that much, becuae i have a 3 and 5 wood. but just in case there is a time to play the long irons in my bag, i want to hit them well

In the bag:

I have those same clubs and I replaced the 3/4/5 with there rescue line of hybrids tossed the irons in the garage and don't miss them at all. Found that my yardage increased, was more accurate, and had zero problem getting the ball up. Your millage may vary but something to consider. I don't have the 8/9/pw problem you are having though.

I don't play my long irons that much but if i need to, i need to learn how to hit them well. And maybe the thing with the short irons is just me. how much yardage difference should there be for my clubs?

In the bag:

Hey guys, I have a TM R7 Draw iron set, and I can't hit any of my 4,5, and 6-iron clubs. Any tips?

For gods sake, go get some lessons. Not being a smart ass, being serious. Take some lessons. Something all golfers would benefit from. The worse you are, the more you have to gain.

tip: Grip the club lightly and swing the club smoothly. Nice fluid swings, but with a purpose.

bingo. Watch 90% of golfers at the range swing long irons and they think they have to kill them to make them go. Then watch the same folks hit a 9 iron and it's nice and smooth. 4 iron is the same. Let the club do the work. Just play it a little more forward in your stance and swing smoothly. It'll go

Without video footage it could be anything, but I'll guess too much arms, no or little hip rotation, casting and scooping.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't play my long irons that much but if i need to, i need to learn how to hit them well.

Seriously, try a decent hybrid club, and then you may not need to worry about learning how to hit your long irons. A lot of people replace their long irons, at least the 3 and 4 irons, with comparable loft hybrids. Once I figured out how to hit my hybrid clubs, I found them much easier to hit well than my 3 and 4 irons. It is no secret that long irons can be tough to hit, especially for high handicappers. Good luck.

Equipment:
Ping K15 Driver (10.5º) - Diamana BB R flex; Ping G15 4 Wood (TFC R flex); Ping G15 20* Hybrid (TFC R flex); Ping G15 23* and 27* Hybrids (AWT R flex steel); Ping G15 Irons 6-GW (AWT R flex steel); Ping I-Wedge 54* Wedge; CG14 BP 58* Wedge; Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9 Putter

Seriously, try a decent hybrid club, and then you may not need to worry about learning how to hit your long irons. A lot of people replace their long irons, at least the 3 and 4 irons, with comparable loft hybrids. Once I figured out how to hit my hybrid clubs, I found them much easier to hit well than my 3 and 4 irons. It is no secret that long irons can be tough to hit, especially for high handicappers. Good luck.

Gotta say I think you should learn to hit the long irons first. I'm not averse to hybrids, in fact I replaced my 3 wood with a 16* hybrid cause it's just more controllable. I'm still on the fence on hybrid vs 3 iron, I rotate back and forth on those in my bag, and 4 and 5 are no problem-probably cause there were no hybrids 10 years ago when I was learning and purchased my own irons. Hybrid 4 and 5 irons are a nice option, but so are regular old 4 and 5 irons, and I think they still offer more control and precision than you can get with a comparable hybrid. I made myself learn when I was a 20 handicap, and now I get to worry about other stuff (driving and putting). I think you do yourself a disservice if you never get comfortable with your long irons.

I agree with both danattherock and jeffery r. Hybrids are a lot easier to hit than long irons. A person that has a bad iron game should not for any reason have a 3 and 4 iron in their bag. But, there is no such thing as a miracle club which is why you need lessons.

In my stand bag:
909D3 with 10.5 degrees of loft and a 45 inch Fujikura Rombax 6Z08, x-flex
909F3 15* with a stock Diamana Blue
FT 18* with an Aldila NV
X-forged ('07), 3-PW with Project X 6.0 CG12, 53/11, and 58* with DSG Red X2, 33"All with Lamkin Crossline Full Cord. (except the putter of...

Deafheaven, couldn't agree more, good sound advice

Driver: Callaway FT-9 I-MIX -Aldila VooDoo XVS7
Wood: Callaway FT Tour #3 - Fujikura Fit-On E370 X-Flex
Hybrid: TM Rescue Mid #3 - Project X Flighted 6.5
Irons: Mizuno MP52 (3-PW) - Project X Flighted 6.5
Wedges: Muria 54* & 60* - Rifle SpinnerPutter: Scotty Cameron Red X2Ball: Pro V1

Note: This thread is 5409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!